SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#197100 - 01/08/06 05:12 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Taking lesson is always a good idea, more information. As you advance I feel Scott is right, gig or just play alot to perfect what you have learned.
I will always take a few lesson preiodically, there is someone who can always add a thought to my playing.

Everytime a well know pro came to New York City I would arrange a for a lesson. It was rewarding just being in their company.

John C.

#197101 - 01/08/06 05:18 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
My learning experience is only just little similar to Fran’s. Back in the early ‘50’s, like many others, I took accordion “lessons”. After two years, I got a job with a wedding band, quit lessons (thought I knew everything). I played in some really low-life dives as a three chord merchant in the early Rock days. Then just dropped music, 4 yrs. in the military, 41/2 years of college after which I had one semester of eligibility on the GI bill. I attempted to scratch an itch I had always had for studying music by enrolling in the Neupauer Conservatory. At that time, kids and a mortgage etc. only allowed me to do that one semester. Shortly after that, I started to do children’s entertainment with the accordion which graduated to group homes, frat orgs., country clubs, trade shows etc.; then from the clown act it turned into regular restaurant gigs. So, after 35 years in the mental health business, I was able to return to music full time. I called the old Conservatory number (now defunct) and Dr. Neupauer accepted me as a private student. This is a long winded way of answering your question. I really don’t “take lessons”, it’s more like 3 to 4 hour weekly sessions that include theory & harmony, writing/arranging, and of course performance-pretty much based on the conservatory curriculum. Frequently, after the sessions, we go to dinner where the lectures continue. I must admit, it is extremely difficult, at my age, to absorb what the maestro is trying to teach although he says he’s going easy on me.
Fran, who was your accordion teacher?
Ciao,
Jerry

#197102 - 01/08/06 05:33 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The great I was referring to, was Jimmy Wood..My other mentors, Sam Spezzano[also gone] and Dick Proccacino...

#197103 - 01/08/06 09:07 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Once you have the basics down, the BEST way to improve musically is by gigging REGULARLY. Nothing beats on the job training

Amen to that... and that's exactly why so many SZ members (including you, Scott) are sounding so much better now than they were at some time in the past.

Glenn

#197104 - 01/08/06 11:43 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
I'm selftaught, but when I was 13 I wanted to take lessons to understand concepts I couldn't figure out on my own, such as modes, scales and theory (this was pre internet era for me) so I went to a teacher, he asked med to play something, so I did a short blues tune, the teacher shook his head and said "Boy oh boy... you stink, we have to start all over again!" so I got stuck playing "Mary had a little lamb" for six months... so I gave the lessons up. A couple of years later I started giving lessons, and I charged about 40$ for 45 min.

Doc-Z

[This message has been edited by doc-z (edited 01-08-2006).]

#197105 - 01/09/06 04:11 AM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Until 6 months ago, I was taking advanced Jazz Piano training. I have worked with this teacher for the past two years. He initially charged me 50 an hour, but he has raised his rates. I now don't pay him anything since I barter my web design skills with his music teaching skills. I stopped taking lessons due to my schedule and his schedule as he is now touring the world with a major musical talent.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#197106 - 01/09/06 06:41 AM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
In the early 70's, when I was in graduate school, I ran the music instruction portion of a large local music store. Actually, I paid a commission for each guitar/bass /drum lesson delivered. I think we got $5.00 per lesson an the store got $2.00 of that.

Two buddies helped with the lessons. We had up to 75 students in the winter. That went to slightly under 50 in the summer.

Now, I give "no charge" lessons to 6 kids who are serious about jazz guitar. Some come from Cincinnati, Dayton and Knoxville. These are more like "sharing experiences" between people with a common love for the instrument and the art form.

Sessions are rather unstructured. We work on one thing, and I tell the person to contact me when he/she feels comfortable with that portion of the training, and we then schedule the next step. Over the years, several of these folks have progressed to the point whenre they blow my old butt away.

And that makes me proud!

Russ

#197107 - 01/09/06 12:37 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
Dnj Offline

Here I am In 1964 at a Concert playing the Accordion....The World Famous & my Teacher Prof. John Maggio in the rear.

#197108 - 01/09/06 12:44 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Cool Supro guitar in front of the photo!

Russ

#197109 - 01/09/06 02:10 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Cool Supro guitar in front of the photo!
Russ

How about that Honer CLAVINET player next to him

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online