SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#197090 - 01/08/06 12:57 PM How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
Dnj Offline

I was just wondering if anyone was taking Keyboard, Piano, Accordion, Arranger kb, lessons etc, privatly or in a group and how has it changed regarding instructions vs years ago when there were no Arranger keyboards?
I used to pay $3.00 per half hour in 1964

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-08-2006).]

#197091 - 01/08/06 01:07 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
claudiu Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan USA
i dont

#197092 - 01/08/06 01:19 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by claudiu:
i dont

Thankyou for the very informative reply

#197093 - 01/08/06 01:32 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Dnj,
Good topic! Personally I wish that I could take lessons. My problem is I must have something wrong with my brain For whatever reason my receptors shut off or go haywire when I try to learn to read music.

So over the years I just taught myself to play. Wish I could read sheet music though. It would make my life a hell of a lot simpler

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#197094 - 01/08/06 01:39 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Hi Donny,
You started a very interesting topic.
The first music instrument I was taught was the violin. The teacher charged my mother $1 per half an hour in 1984.
I used to take private piano lessons twice a week. I changed many teachers. The last one (1991) charged me $2 for a 45 minutes lesson. I don't believe instructions have changed over the years, if I understand what you mean.

Nowadays a piano lesson goes at $10-$12 per hour. I am tempted to give piano/keyboard lessons for an extra income. Unfortunately, I don't have enough time. Too much work, too many hobbies.

Regards,
George

[This message has been edited by George V (edited 01-08-2006).]

#197095 - 01/08/06 02:02 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I've probably taken 'too many' music lessons over the years. Once you have the basics down, the BEST way to improve musically is by gigging REGULARLY. Nothing beats on the job training (and learning from seasoned pro musicians onstage) in this business. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 01-08-2006).]

#197096 - 01/08/06 02:05 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I got paid $3 per 1/2 hour lesson in 1964.[Actually we were paid half the amount]..

#197097 - 01/08/06 02:16 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott, my teachers were seasoned pros..

My favorite accordion teacher was the best accordion player I have ever heard,,,and I have heard many great ones..

He was a great jazz and theory teacher...he passed away a few years ago..

Teaching the basics and theory are important, as well as practicing techniques..but the better teachers show how to apply what we know, with some experienced voicing and substitute chording..

I think learning to play accordion was the strongest foundation to learn music. Our left hand buttons are circle of fifths..And most accordion students learn classical accordion with the ability and understanding of theory and chords...The same can not be said for trained classical piano...

Matter of fact , my 5 years of accordion lessons taught me most of what I know today, it even prepared me as a music major in college...It even helped me get straight A's in my music classes.

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 01-08-2006).]

#197098 - 01/08/06 02:33 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
In 1963 when I first started piano lessons it as $3 per half hour. Took for about 3 years. Then 2 years no lessons when I started lessons again it was $5 per half hour, when lessons ended in 1975 it ended up at $6 per half hour.

I never learned to sing, but based on some advice I got here at the forum I started voice lessons about 6 months ago. It's now $16 per half hour.

Orignally posted by Fran Carango
Quote:
Our left hand buttons are circle of fifths..And most accordion students learn classical accordion with the ability and understanding of theory and chords...The same can not be said for trained classical piano...
Fran you're right on the money with that comment. I was trained at the piano with classics no circle of fifths. Wasn't till I started a little (very little) jazz theory that I got exposure to the circle of 5ths.

#197099 - 01/08/06 04:49 PM Re: How Many People are Taking Music Lessons here to play?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Scott, my teachers were seasoned pros..
My favorite accordion teacher was the best accordion player I have ever heard,,,and I have heard many great ones..
He was a great jazz and theory teacher...he passed away a few years ago..

Fran ... What was the name of your accordion teacher? ...

Dnj ... I took accordion lessons for about 6 years ... and taught for a while as well ... $2.50 per 1/2 hour back in the day ... mid- late 50's ...
A number of years ago I started piano lessons here in RI ... paid $10 for an hour lesson every two weeks ...

t.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online