SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#197027 - 07/25/06 09:46 PM Arranger advantages of performing LIVE with styles before audiences.
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Some advantages I thing you have when you are playing an arranger using the styles.
If you thing in others, please let me know.

1.- I can make short or longer a song…let’s say down to 45 seconds with a graceful ending, not a CUT of FADE out……or as long as 20 minutes or more if necessary…
2. - Example, I play Besame Mucho in Rhumba and without STOPING switch to a Swing, I use this if I am playing for listening, I do not use this when people are dancing.
3. - A technique use to make longer and interesting the song, besides changing Keys and or instrumentation is to change to another styles to “Build UP” the song……of course, with NO interruptions……change from a standard style to a more complex one.
4.- Make chord substitutions…..example, like in “Blue Moon” let say you play it in the key of C and the chord progression in C-Am-Dm-G7 and so on…..substitute that for
C-Eb-Dm7-Db and so on……..
5.- If you are going to play the SAME song and you have most of the same audience again, I can change the style of the song and play it in a different way as many as 30 TIMES or more……and I do that, there is no worse thing to became predictable, when you do that, you became BORING.
6.-That is what I call TOTAL Real time control over the music you PLAY.

As most of you will recall, the early arrangers, the styles where very, how can you say it……well, UGLY and lifeless……but times(over 20 years now), and technology has put a remedy to that, now, the styles can sound as full and with feeling that gives you that life that was missing, and now can compete with very well made SMFs, of course, if you play, you can do it.

I no longer have to carry a 700 pound organ (Hammond X66 plus goodies) plus PA system……but I did learn something to begin, I learn to play with NO automatics, so, you really have to know how to play, otherwise, I do not want to think about it. I guess if you know how to play and instrument that has no “help”, then when you switch to a Pro arrangers and learn how to use their styles, the satisfaction to be able to perform and have the real control over the music you make, is GREAT!!.

At least for my own experience, playing by ear and been only instrumental, it made me aware that you have to make your music more interesting not just for yourself, but for the audience too, as result I have a VERY happy campers or should I say dancers.

Greetings from Phoenix Arizona.

#197028 - 07/25/06 10:10 PM Re: Arranger advantages of performing LIVE with styles before audiences.
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Very well said mdorantes.

Like you, I like to change the style of a song from time too time to spice things up.
With some songs it works better than with others of course.

Great topic.

Thanks

Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric, B (edited 07-25-2006).]

#197029 - 07/25/06 11:37 PM Re: Arranger advantages of performing LIVE with styles before audiences.
K.Boarder Offline

That is how arrangers should be played. Another new variation you could make easy yourself by copying the drum from another style to the first one or copying a bass from another style.
Most of the toparrangers make this possible.

#197030 - 07/26/06 05:40 AM Re: Arranger advantages of performing LIVE with styles before audiences.
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mdorantes:
Example, I play Besame Mucho in Rhumba and without STOPING switch to a Swing, I use this if I am playing for listening, I do not use this when people are dancing.
Greetings from Phoenix Arizona.

Another song that is MADE for this change of style is "Green Dophin Street"
t.

#197031 - 07/26/06 10:46 AM Re: Arranger advantages of performing LIVE with styles before audiences.
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
One think I forgot to say, is how many times have you played a popular request in your proffesional life?.....in my almost 40 years of performing, as a quick example, let say, Spanish eyes, Lara's theme, NYNY, etc.....I probably have played this songs a zillion times, but everytime someone requested it again, I play it and make it "fresh", with an assortment of technics, let's faced, we are human, and I do get bored of the same thing over an over, so, if it happens to me, to the audience also.....been said that, needless to say, we as MUSICIANS have to make it FUN !.

#197032 - 07/26/06 11:21 AM Re: Arranger advantages of performing LIVE with styles before audiences.
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
I use about 50% Song specific styles.
This way you get the song recognizable Intro and the song specific groove, but then have the freedom to play it any way and how long you want it.

Aaaaah; I love arrangers.

Eric

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online