SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#196820 - 10/15/03 02:05 PM Uncle Dave, what have you started?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I've played pianos, pipe organs, B3s, spinet organs, accordions, synths and now arranger keyboards. I don't use the same style on any two keyboards. I get used to what I'm playing. YES, I've been a little uncomfortable when using a new or strange keyboard, but I adjust. I TOTALLY AGREE with you that keys "should be" a standard size, but they're not. I think we've got too many people with too much time on their hands. Let's find a new topic.

Hey, what do you think of that Cubbie fan who's gettiing the blame for last night's loss? I miss live organ music at sports events.

#196821 - 10/15/03 02:27 PM Re: Uncle Dave, what have you started?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
CNN was being kind to that guy today by pointing out that he wasn't the only one reaching for the ball, and in fact the guy is a school baseball coach or something and his friends are all saying he's a nice guy with no bad intentions. Chicago just needs to vent.

I'm still sore at the Cubs for beating the Braves so "Go Fishies!".

#196822 - 10/15/03 02:27 PM Re: Uncle Dave, what have you started?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Well, since you brought the topic into this new thread, I'll respond in kind.
"Standard" used to mean "The same"..... when did all THAT change?
I have too LITTLE time on my hands to relearn techniques that took a lifetime to develop. I refuse to bring my game down without a proper fight.

#196823 - 10/15/03 02:42 PM Re: Uncle Dave, what have you started?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I think this is a VERY valid topic. Sometimes.. maybe .. just maybe if enough attention is called to it, a manufacturer just might consider making a change. Ask Scott Yee about his issues with rootless jazz chord recognition... He talked about it a lot here.. He probably bugged some of the manufacturers about it too. opther arranger players didn't care about it at all.. Some maybe got tired of hearing about it .. but.. Guess what..? It became a feature on some of the latest boards...

Whether we agree or we don't doesn't mean someone else shouldn't give it their best shot to have enough people listen to affect a change does it ? If the topic isn't important to you.. there is nothing wrong with that, but to Dave, to me, and maybe some others it is important.

Hmm .. now for the Cubs thing.. All I can say is that I have this sneaking suspicion that if the Red Sox and Cubs were to meet in the world series.. that it would go even to six games .. and then a huge snowstorm would probably blanket the entire northern half of the country.. and then the temperatures would stay below freezing so that they could not play any more baseball for the rest of the year.. and neither could win.. Seriously though.. I understand the frustration most of their fans must feel, being a Mets fan in a Yankee world....
We did mange to win a couple over the last 35 years or so.. but.. we are always in the Yankee shadow in NY.. and we tend to spend our money on the most expensive duds in the majors. " the worst team money can buy" was certainly an appropriate tag for our loveable Metsies.

AJ

#196824 - 10/15/03 03:06 PM Re: Uncle Dave, what have you started?
cassp Offline

C'mon now Dave, we've heard all the arguments AND many of them are darned good ones, but...

right now the Yankees have taken the lead again 5-4. Fifth inning and Boston's sleeping again. Don't you just love those club seats out by the Monster at Fenway Park. I miss Tiger Stadium; hell, I miss the Tigers (who knew how to play baseball). Talk about 'standadrd.' I wish all the ball players were standard.

My duo hasn't played since June. I'm dieing here; just picked up a couple gigs with an old rock-a-billy guitarist I know. My 2k is sitting in the bag.

#196825 - 10/15/03 04:46 PM Re: Uncle Dave, what have you started?
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
UD, you're never too old to learn. I've been playing the piano (with "standard" keys) for 50 years but took to Yamaha keyboards like a duck to water. Didn't even notice the difference in key size. Maybe you could adopt my technique of playing four note chords in the left hand while generally confining them to the octave above middle C. Works well with an arranger, particularly with touch response, as you can play the left hand a little quieter than the right.

I was wondering if the crowd had caught the reacher he would have been lynched from the nearest lamp standard. Maybe he still will be. As the Jays are now out of it I'm not quite so interested. Nice to see a Bosox/Cubbies world series though (if it ever happens).

Bryan

#196826 - 10/15/03 06:05 PM Re: Uncle Dave, what have you started?
Smokey Offline

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Well, since you brought the topic into this new thread, I'll respond in kind.
"Standard" used to mean "The same"..... when did all THAT change?
I have too LITTLE time on my hands to relearn techniques that took a lifetime to develop. I refuse to bring my game down without a proper fight.

If you all spent as much time practicing
as you do crying, you could learn to play the smaller keys < Or look for a tech with a Yamaha strecher.
Like my dear old Mama used to say "build a bridge and get over it" Just the way I see it.
Have a good day all, Smokey

#196827 - 10/15/03 06:18 PM Re: Uncle Dave, what have you started?
The Accordionist Offline

It's the same thing with the accordion. Full size accordions have 41 piano keys. The span of "adult" accordions runs from arund 18" to 20.5" for the 41 keys, measured white key to white key. My accordion keyboards are all 19.5 inches. If I play an accordion with an 18.5" keyboard I'm a mess! 20.5 inches is tolerable only because my hands are on the larger end of the scale. But there's still a TREMENDOUS difference, to the point that if I were to have to play an 18.5" accordion I couldn't do any of my speed runs at all. I could play chords and slow songs but forget about the fast ones and arpeggios.

And that's with a one-inch difference over more than 3 octaves, or 0.024" per key. I wouldn't think of buying an accordion with less than a 19.5" keyboard.

Weird thing is I also play piano (when I HAVE to) and the transition between the vastly different key sizes doesn't seem to bother me in the least. Then again, I'm a mediocre pianist at best.

Tommy

#196828 - 10/15/03 07:10 PM Re: Uncle Dave, what have you started?
cassp Offline

Hey, you guys. Let's keep the Key thread on the key thread. Right now the Cubs are losing 6-5. I'm wondering if that poor guy is under police protection. It's not his fault, but try to tell some of those frantic fanatics that.

#196829 - 10/15/03 10:54 PM Re: Uncle Dave, what have you started?
Uncle Dave Offline

Hey, the original thread started with key size, so.......
I think it's easier to adapt from accordian to piano because the difference is more noticable. This tiny fluctuation in the Yamaha deal is just enough to be annoying.
As for being "too old to learn" ..... age has nothing to do with it - I refuse to tamper with a comfort zone that makes my living. It just doesn't make good business sense to adapt to an inferior method when so much of the REST of my world can conform to a STANDARD size.
Call me a cryer if you want, but I speak the truth so others may start to ask questions themselves.I'm not whining to hear myself, I'm trying to get the attention of those on the seats of power that can fix this abuse.
I'll rest the topic now ...... unless some other valid points are raised, and BTW ...

WHAT Cubs?

#196830 - 10/16/03 05:31 AM Re: Uncle Dave, what have you started?
cassp Offline

Uncle Dave, I see why you've continued your KEYS discussion over here - your thread has been turned into a Tyros lovefest.

Those Cubs were a little emBEARassing last night. I guess the 'reacher' if off the hook; the Cubs blew three in a row, two at home, with their two best pitchers. Oh well, GO BOSOX!

#196831 - 10/16/03 05:55 AM Re: Uncle Dave, what have you started?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Yea Marlins! Sorry 'bout them Cubs but I'm always glad to see a Southern team do good. Despite all the focus on Chicago, the Marlins earned their win and nobody can fault them for that. Yanks or Sox makes no difference - Marlins are a tight team and I predict they'll take the Series.

#196832 - 10/16/03 01:57 PM Re: Uncle Dave, what have you started?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I agree, Marlins over the Redsox in six..

#196833 - 10/16/03 06:56 PM Re: Uncle Dave, what have you started?
Uncle Dave Offline

Fran's got inside info .....bet that game !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online