Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#196207 - 12/24/04 01:43 AM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by SYNTH_GUY:
but up on stage with all the extra arranger buttons one might hit the wrong one by accident and set off accompany features. Also the built-in speakers don't look pro.

I have used a PSR550 with a live band and that did happen once ... once was enough. So that is a valid point. It makes for chaos with the rhythm section. It would have been nice to able to lock the accompaniment switch to off. But I changed to a Motif 6 for other reasons. The speakers didn't worry me at all. In a band situation the audience really don't see too much of the actual keyboard itself. No-one ever mentioned the speakers to me.

#196208 - 12/24/04 07:34 AM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
the built-in speakers don't look pro.

We've been around this block so many times before..... Speakers, arrangers, keyfeel, pro, non-pro.. sheesh - when will it stop?

The simple truth is:

Things have changed drastically.
25 years ago everyone carried Hammonds, Rhodes, Moogs etc ....... then came the DX7, then the I3, then the psr8000 ........ad infinatum.

Today's "standard" of gear is no longer a cut and dry situation. There are many, many products that are capable of producing high quality, pro sound and in the hands of a seasoned musician - some of the choices might surprise you.
Anyone that equates cost with quality is foolish, because there is no way to determine the value till you get it on stage. I've always thought that Technics kbs were horribly overpriced, yet they have the most loyal following of satisfied buyers that I've ever seen!

Todays music market is very diverse, and there is no standard for gear. On board speakers are extremely popular with performers like myself, who play at lower volume levels very often, and can appreciate the benifit of the "in my face" monitors. I've been supporting my family with music since day one, and my "used" gear list would collapse the bandwith of this forum. Today, I satisfy 350 clients each year, and thousands of patrons with the lightest, most compact setup imaginable.

Am I using pro gear? Absolutely.
Is my kb built as sturdy as some of the so called "pro" workstations? Nope.

** BUT **

There is not ONE high end workstation in the Triton/Fantom/Motif range that can duplicate the features I use in my shows.

The arranger has become a psuedo standard for the solo entertainer, and while there are still many, many choices available - one thing ties us all together. we get good, solid backing, with up to date sounds, versitile Midi playback, and adequate mic control. All this adds up to a value that puts feet on the dance floor and money in my pocket almost every night of the year.

Those of you who are slow to accept the value and performance of the modern arranger are most likely still spliting your ca$h with 3 or more other players, coordinating outfits, dealing with personality clashes, car trouble, drinking habits, work ethics, paying agents and house contractors, etc - more power to ya!

I've been there. I know the drill, and the way I work today is everybit as legit as the work I did with my 10 piece horn band in the 70s. My trio in the 80s did not sound as full I do as a soloist.
We're ALWAYS on time, no one in the band is late, dressed poorly, drinks, smokes or hangs out with their girlfriends on breaks.

To sumarize:

aw ..... I don't need to sumarize.

#196209 - 12/24/04 08:32 AM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
Uncle Dave, let the truth be told. You are right, but there is something special about playing with a live band, if you're playing with pro musicians. It's awesome to invent up on stage right on the spot and have the crowd go nuts, how about your drummer doing a solo in between songs "can't really do that with an arranger". I do agree with everything you said, but it is a matter of personal preference. I play for crowds of 500 - 5000, I've done solo appearances for promtional purposes only, cd played and I sang, it's not the same.

#196210 - 12/24/04 01:04 PM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Don't forget the arranger keyboard handles the "Left hand bass", "Drums", "Piano" and a "Color sound"..better than then any combination of straight workstations...Even my "old "G1000 works perfect in this situation...

If I can only have one keyboard ,it has to be an arranger,,,nothing else is so flexible..
Also concerning the use of an arranger in a band,there is no accidental surprizes if you set up a performance[Roland] or a registration[Yamaha]..for live play..you can turn off any possibilities of an accidental arrangement or drums, sounding...

You have all your mixing and volume controls right in front of you, and a quick selection of sounds at your finger tips, without disturbing your basic "band set up"...throw in the control features of an expression pedal[to control any selected part/sound], after touch and other controllers.....makes the arranger unbeatable..even without the auto stuff and SMF playback..

#196211 - 12/24/04 10:58 PM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Drum solos?
MAN - there's a blast from my past!
Do people STILL want to hear drum solos?
I'm shocked....truley shocked.

I thought that went out with the 70s.

#196212 - 12/24/04 11:56 PM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Uncle Dave, Yes drum solos and bass solo breakdowns never go out of style, besides if you notice the latest trend, the 70's are back in style "Retro"

#196213 - 12/25/04 02:37 AM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
both UD and synth guy are right for different reasons.

atleast for a decade-
for a (non gold or platinum selling) giging musician who wants to make more money without headache/band memeber problems--arranger is the way to go.

but for a major selling bands (big names)ofcourse witout the live band you can't sell your tickets.
you can't say that arranger sounds better than real pro musicians playing real acoustic/electric instruments in realtime.
50 fingers of well reharsed pro musicians will sound better than 10 fingers of a pro musician in general.
one man band does have it's limits(that's why it's one man band- but it pays more than "5 men band",doesnt it?).

one man band may play standard jazz without many problems to an audience of (mostly untrained ears),but can't make them scream like they do with a Zepplin riff with punching drums and realtime slappin' bass guitar.

again I'm talking about live music.no techno/trance/retriggering dance music.

so differt folks and strokes.

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 12-25-2004).]

#196214 - 12/25/04 05:54 AM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
acctjm Offline

Loc: Eastern PA
Quote:
Let me just say there is nothing wrong with the sounds, the PA80 sounds are great but up on stage with all the extra arranger buttons one might hit the wrong one by accident and set off accompany features. Also the built-in speakers don't look pro. Never did I say it didn't sound good, in fact I have fiddled with arrangers at local stores and the Pa80 in my opinion outshines in the sound department, very close to the Triton sounds.

SYNTH_GUY, thanks for the reply, I appreciate the clarification. Also, thanks to all of the others who shared their experiences.

I realize that these concerns are very subjective, but that's why knowing what SYNTH_GUY didn't care for would help me decide if it would be a problem for me.

Merry Christmas. Gotta go check under the tree.

acctjm

#196215 - 12/25/04 10:53 AM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
SYNTH_GUY Offline

This topic went off on a tangent, started with offering the Pa80 for sale, anyone interested? Maybe I'll go ebay.

#196216 - 12/25/04 01:37 PM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Put a price on it--you never know!
DonM

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online