Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#196217 - 12/25/04 08:55 PM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by SYNTH_GUY:
the 70's are back in style "Retro"

Woah - I refuse to believe that anything I did when it was brand new can be considered "Retro" today .... I'm far too young to know about anything that old.
PS. Hey Santa - you forgot my 1964 1/2 Mustang convertable!

#196218 - 12/27/04 04:22 AM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
MikeTV Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
We've been around this block so many times before..... Speakers, arrangers, keyfeel, pro, non-pro.. sheesh - when will it stop?

The simple truth is:

Things have changed drastically.
25 years ago everyone carried Hammonds, Rhodes, Moogs etc ....... then came the DX7, then the I3, then the psr8000 ........ad infinatum.

Today's "standard" of gear is no longer a cut and dry situation. There are many, many products that are capable of producing high quality, pro sound and in the hands of a seasoned musician - some of the choices might surprise you.
Anyone that equates cost with quality is foolish, because there is no way to determine the value till you get it on stage. I've always thought that Technics kbs were horribly overpriced, yet they have the most loyal following of satisfied buyers that I've ever seen!

Todays music market is very diverse, and there is no standard for gear. On board speakers are extremely popular with performers like myself, who play at lower volume levels very often, and can appreciate the benifit of the "in my face" monitors. I've been supporting my family with music since day one, and my "used" gear list would collapse the bandwith of this forum. Today, I satisfy 350 clients each year, and thousands of patrons with the lightest, most compact setup imaginable.

Am I using pro gear? Absolutely.
Is my kb built as sturdy as some of the so called "pro" workstations? Nope.

** BUT **

There is not ONE high end workstation in the Triton/Fantom/Motif range that can duplicate the features I use in my shows.

The arranger has become a psuedo standard for the solo entertainer, and while there are still many, many choices available - one thing ties us all together. we get good, solid backing, with up to date sounds, versitile Midi playback, and adequate mic control. All this adds up to a value that puts feet on the dance floor and money in my pocket almost every night of the year.

Those of you who are slow to accept the value and performance of the modern arranger are most likely still spliting your ca$h with 3 or more other players, coordinating outfits, dealing with personality clashes, car trouble, drinking habits, work ethics, paying agents and house contractors, etc - more power to ya!

I've been there. I know the drill, and the way I work today is everybit as legit as the work I did with my 10 piece horn band in the 70s. My trio in the 80s did not sound as full I do as a soloist.
We're ALWAYS on time, no one in the band is late, dressed poorly, drinks, smokes or hangs out with their girlfriends on breaks.

To sumarize:

aw ..... I don't need to sumarize.

SPOT ON, UNCLE DAVE.

Now, if I can find one with a vocal harmonizer that will make even my terrible singing acceptable, I'll sack the rest of the band as well!

#196219 - 12/27/04 08:57 AM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
Quote from dear Uncle Dave!

Drum solos?
I've been there. I know the drill, and the way I work today is everybit as legit as the work I did with my 10 piece horn band in the 70s. My trio in the 80s did not sound as full I do as a soloist.

We're ALWAYS on time, no one in the band is late, dressed poorly, drinks, smokes or hangs out with their girlfriends on breaks.

MAN - there's a blast from my past!
Do people STILL want to hear drum solos?
I'm shocked....truley shocked.
I thought that went out with the 70s.
(End Quote)

Uncle Dave, isn't hanging out with the girlfriends during breaks the best part of being a musician, oh I forgot that's a blast from the past ..LOL

#196220 - 12/27/04 01:45 PM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
UD's description of what was happening in the 70's and 80's brings back memories.

Around here, about 1/3 of the good jobs are from society "snoots". A lot of the horse farm owners want traditional trio's, complete with upright bass. That's fun!

About 10% of the jobs require a group...that's by request of the client.

The arranger is always in the car. If someone dosen't show, gets pissed off and leaves...whatever...the show goes on!

Russ

#196221 - 12/29/04 08:08 AM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
SYNTH_GUY Offline

I guess there is no one interested. I'm surprised, It's a really great sounding, full of features, arranger workstation.

#196222 - 12/29/04 08:27 AM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
I guess there is no one interested. I'm surprised, It's a really great sounding, full of features, arranger workstation.

Try posting it here: http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=29&SUBMIT=Go
Also, put a price on it. You can always get counter-offers.
DonM

#196223 - 12/29/04 11:54 AM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
Uncle Dave Offline

There's just so many choices that are cheaper. The market for the PA80 is pretty small. Post it on eBay ...... you gotta do better than here!

#196224 - 12/29/04 01:49 PM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
SYNTH_GUY Offline

I'll try ebay, thanks everyone. BTW, what is it worth, it's brand new keep in mind.

#196225 - 12/29/04 05:30 PM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Keep in mind the warranty is probably dead once you sell it. The PSR3000 with a full warranty is like a Canary. Cheap! Cheep! Cheap!

#196226 - 12/29/04 09:08 PM Re: SELLING KORG PA 80
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
I'll try ebay, what is it worth?

First step is to serch eBay for another one, and see if anyone is bidding on it. Then, list yours at a price that's right with the bids people are willing to spend!
You can't advertise "brand new" - you'll need to say "LIKE new", or "showroom" condition, and a picture always helps.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online