SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#196112 - 12/08/03 06:56 AM One Man Orchestra...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
During Saturday night's job, the owner of the restaurant came up to me on a break and said "You're the best one-man-band we've had in a long time." I corrected him and said "I'm not a one man band--I'm a one man orchestra." He smiled and said "Well, I guess you have a point there because at times it sure sounds like an orchestra instead of a band."

I don't know about the rest of the forum members, but the term "one-man-band" brings back visions of someone with a guitar slung over his/her shoulder, a harmonica on a chest bracket, a bass drum with a foot kicker and a pair of cymbals strapped between their knees. As independent performers, I sincerely do not believe we fit into that category, especially those of us who are vocalist as well as musicians.

Just had to get that one off my chest,

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#196113 - 12/08/03 07:04 AM Re: One Man Orchestra...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
The snow's getting to you, Gary.

At church I'm the music director, choir director, minister of music - but everyone calls me the organist. It all pays the same.

I think single performers are always going to be called OMBs as long as we play for the public. What do you put on your business card - keyboards/vocals; most do. How many put one man band; only a few. Yet that's what the average Joe sees and hears,therefore the moniker.

Taking a day off here to enjoy the last of the good weather in Michigan. I see you've put a hex on us, so the snow will be coming soon. Cheers!

#196114 - 12/08/03 07:07 AM Re: One Man Orchestra...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:

As independent performers, I sincerely do not believe we fit into that category, especially those of us who are vocalist as well as musicians.

Cheers,

Gary

Almost unequivocally a Band will have a Lead singer plus most will have Back Up singers Gary. Now, on the other hand, an Orchestra will most likely NOT have a Lead singer or even any Back Up singers because an Orchestra is basically just an instrumental group. So I think you better go back to saying you're a OMB Gary not an OMO.

My 2 cents

Best regards,
Mike

#196115 - 12/08/03 10:37 AM Re: One Man Orchestra...
travlin'easy Offline

Gotta' disagree with you on this one Mike. In fact, a few months ago the Glenn Miller Orchestra was here, my wife and attended their two-hour show and their lead singer was incredible. We've also seen several other's with 15 to 19 pieces, and all had singers, gals that provided some of the most incredible vocals I've heard in years.

From now on, when I have new business cards printed, it's gonna say "One Man Orchestra." Probably won't make a tinker's damned either way, but I kinda like the sound of it.

Cheers,

Gary

#196116 - 12/08/03 11:29 AM Re: One Man Orchestra...
Dnj Offline

One Man Orchestra is defintly better then "DJ"

#196117 - 12/08/03 01:59 PM Re: One Man Orchestra...
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
How about OMP?
One Man Performer...
Or OWP in the name of equality....

Roy-Andrč

#196118 - 12/08/03 03:59 PM Re: One Man Orchestra...
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Gary,

Your new business card and 2 bucks will get you a 12 oz Bud. Your vision of a OMB reminds me of that old television program called Fernwood Tonight. In one episode the band (Happy and the Mirth Makers)went on strike. Happy (The deadpan leader) did the whole show as a OMB. It was very funny in a dumb sort of way.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Cavanaugh (edited 12-08-2003).]

Tom

#196119 - 12/08/03 05:01 PM Re: One Man Orchestra...
keybplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by royandreno:
How about OMP?
One Man Performer...
Or OWP in the name of equality....

Roy-Andrč

Roy-Andrč

To give it that "politically correct" aura about it, it might be better to say OPP - One Person Performer. But the fact is; mostly Men are Keyboardists and the overwhelming majority of Arranger Keyboard players are - you guessed it - Men. So I still think OMB -One Man Band- is appropriate.

Gary needs to come to his senses with his newly acclaimed fixation on the word OMO. I think he's been downing too much of that Kick A Poo Juice again. Gary, here's the definition of Orchestra:

Orchestra
"A large ensemble of players of musical instruments, generally including the following sections: strings, made up of violins, violas and double basses; wind, subdivided into woodwind and brass; and percussion; plus, very often, a harp. A symphony orchestra is capable of playing symphonies; a chamber orchestra is much smaller - and btw Gary, listen to what Mike is saying because he's right. An Orchestra is a group of people who play "instruments". There is NO vocal accompaniment within an Orchestra (as it applies to the definition of the word "Orchestra". A Big Band Orchestra is just that, ie., a "Band" playing musical instruments -(Orchestra) with the option for Vocals; hence the term Big "Band".

And in case you're still in doubt here is another definition of the word Orchestra:

Orchestra: A performing group of diverse instruments; in Western art music, an ensemble of multiple string parts with various woodwind, brass and percussion instruments.

Still no mention of Vocalists Gary. I just shattered your brilliant idea I reckon. But knowing you, you'll probably stick to your Guns regardless. Oh well, what else can I say to convince you to drop that term OMO like a hot potato Gar? What will it take, Hummm?!?!?

Best regards,
Mike

Oh baby it's cold outside.. I don't wanna go outside...
la la la la la la la. Where's the sun when you need it, eh Gary? Stay warm will ya'?

Current Conditions in Baltimore:

Mostly Cloudy

Temperature: 30°F

Feels Like: 30°F

Dew Point: 24°F

Humidity: 74%

Wind: Calm

Visibility: Unlimited

Barometer: 30.20 inches and rising

UV Index: 0 Minimal

Sunrise: 7:14 AM

Sunset: 4:43 PM

Tuesday: Partly cloudy. High 44F. Winds light and variable.

Wednesday: Chance of late day showers. Highs in the low 50s with temperatures nearly steady overnite.

Looks light you will get a good amount of Sun on
Friday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 40s and lows in the low 30s.

I reckon your still digging out of that Blizzard you had a few days ago. I could imagine Florida looking better and better to you and the misses with all the cold and snow and freeze and slush and chill, and burr!, and my aching back shoveling that driveway, [img]http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/sad/azcrying.gif[/img] and (did I mention cold?) [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 12-08-2003).]

#196120 - 12/08/03 07:18 PM Re: One Man Orchestra...
keybplayer Offline

Here's the weather in my neck of the woods:

Monday: Abundant sunshine. High 66F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Tuesday: Mainly sunny. High 66F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

Wednesday: Clouds giving way to sun in the afternoon. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the upper 30s.

They say that San Diego and Vicinity has THE best Climate in the World!! Better than Florida, better than Hawaii, better than cough*, cough* Ah humm (clear my throat) - Forest Hill, MD, etc.

But you can be sure Florida's weather is mighty fine most of the time too.

#196121 - 12/08/03 08:18 PM Re: One Man Orchestra...
travlin'easy Offline

All those definitions are making me dizzy Mike, but you're probably right about the orchestra stuff. Guess I'll just have to mix up a new batch of Kickapoo Joy Juice, load some fishing tackle and a keyboard in the van and head for Key West. Seems perfectly logical to me, especially this time of year.

Cheers,

Gary

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online