SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#195979 - 08/18/03 09:42 AM Re: Tyros will not be in my studio
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
That's funny Uncle Dave, because I was just going to start a thread which was titled, "Falling In love with the Tyros all over again".

I hesitate to write it now as it will seem like a rebuttal to your post. I won't get into that since it's your opinion on how the Tyros fits into YOUR world.

As a gigging keyboardist and a student studying Jazz, the Tyros fits all my exacting needs.

I do get a kick out of those that say to add a LAPTOP their rig. How do you evaluate the cost of a keyboard when you add a $2000.00 laptop to augment it's functionality. Does that mean you compare the Tyros to a $3000 Laptop/PSR2100 combination?

Things that make you go hmmmmm....
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#195980 - 08/18/03 10:14 AM Re: Tyros will not be in my studio
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
[B] How do you evaluate the cost of a keyboard when you add a $2000.00 laptop to augment it's functionality. Does that mean you compare the Tyros to a $3000 Laptop/PSR2100 combination?
[B]

When you are a professional entertainer, making a living on stage, a few bucks invested to make you sucessfull for the long run is a requirment. It will also come back to you ten fold for sure. Like any business.
The Tyros IMO is just a little bit more [not much overall ]then the 2k, 21k, and I have played them all. We all do it differently...no matter what anyone says you have to do what "WORKS" for you!

#195981 - 08/18/03 10:16 AM Re: Tyros will not be in my studio
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I think the Tyros, even at $2,300 (streetprice) is a terrific keyboard value, and that its added features & improvements over the PSR2100, well worth the price difference.

I realize that we all perform to different audiences types, but for my shows, the laptop remains a hi tech gadget distraction that gets in the way between me and my audience. Even though people may be initially impressed by the hi tech gadgetry, the more the audience sees us relying on them, the more they become convinced that we're 'less musicians'. and more button pushing entertainment novelty acts (a half notch above karaoke entertainment). Audiences are smarter than we think. This may in fact be a reason audiences tend to 'tip more' when I play on an acoustic piano vs when performing on an arranger.

I personally find the most musically rewarding gig venues, going 'back to the basics' of playing the acoustic piano & vocals, and possibly adding a live acoustic bass player. Ahhh... the good old days.

Scott

#195982 - 08/18/03 11:01 AM Re: Tyros will not be in my studio
The Accordionist Offline

My advice is to get an accordion. They see you pulling it in and out, the sweat beading on your brow, the showy glissandos and mastery of the complex-looking bass buttons and all they can do is tip.

As an interesting aside, my 80-year old father was in town and listened to me perform with my XD3 arranger and Petosa reedless digital accordion and said it was nice. When I played Sorrento on my Excelsior accoustic he said it was incredible. He far preferred the accoustic.

Either way, patrons tend to tip accordionists rather well because it's so different. As a performing musician, I tip ALL musicians well, including the 16 year-old Vietnamese boy playing piano in a Los Angeles Thai Restaurant last week. His, uh, rendition, of Let It Be was one of the more interesting things I have EVER heard on a musical instrument, but hell, he was out there trying and deserved encouragement!

As an aside, did anybody catch the National Anthem at the Tennessee Titans pre-season football game last weekend? A defensive end for the Titans played the anthem on his Sax. Just looking for opinions if anybody saw it.

#195983 - 08/18/03 11:18 AM Re: Tyros will not be in my studio
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
We all do it differently...no matter what anyone says you have to do what "WORKS" for you!

Just what I think too! By the way, I don't understand...wrong, I DO understand why UD started this thread. He's been all over the Tyros since it came out, and this was a grand time for him to provoke some of us Tyros owners again. Well we didn't go for the bate, did we.......? Or did we???

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#195984 - 08/18/03 12:16 PM Re: Tyros will not be in my studio
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
What prompted that, Roy?

This has never been a contest or a challenge. I simply buy, test and report on all the new stuff as I can get to them. I have no allegience to brands or models, and I could care less if you like something I don't.

Please don't start these childish rumers about what it is, you PERCEIVE my intentions to be. You couldn't be more wrong.

This is all about an evening with a keyboard, and my reactions to it's value, playability and usefullness on stage. Nothing more.

#195985 - 08/18/03 04:41 PM Re: Tyros will not be in my studio
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
I'm with Dnj on laptops. I use one with my 740, mainly because it gives me access to the whole synth via XGworks. I have 128 registration memories but with the laptop I can save thousands of .syx files with far more settings. And you don't have to fork out a lot of money. My laptop was $400US and has a PII/300 with 96Mb. More than enough for what I do. A bit slow for audio and the latest sequencers and softsynths but I don't use any of them. XGworks, Cakewalk and the SYXG50 do it all for me.

Bryan

#195986 - 08/18/03 04:47 PM Re: Tyros will not be in my studio
Dnj Offline

Good luck Brian you seem to be enjoying the KB/LT combo as many of us are also.
It's deversetivity and ease of use is what I like the best.

Dave knows his stuff for sure. He tells it like it is from a professional point of view good or bad, unlike some magazines and other sources which are misleading to say the least. I for one value his opinions.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-18-2003).]

#195987 - 08/18/03 07:09 PM Re: Tyros will not be in my studio
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Roy,

Uncle Dave review can be summarized as follows: "Tyros is an excellent keyboard; however, this is why I am not getting it personally." So it is contrary to your claim that he is trashing it. And remember people want different perspectives.

I have a question for Scottyee:

Does $2300 price for Tyros includes the hardrive, stand, and speakers? Because I saw Tyros advertised with all of these for 2700 and they included even a case. The problem is that no dealer has Tyros in my city. So I am giving everybody the benefit of the doubt about the styles and sounds of it. I listened to 2100 and I did not like it. Even PSR740 beats it in styles and sounds.

[This message has been edited by sk880user (edited 08-18-2003).]

#195988 - 08/18/03 07:33 PM Re: Tyros will not be in my studio
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by sk880user:
Does $2300 price for Tyros includes the hardrive, stand, and speakers?

sk880user: No, but personally I don't recommend the purchasing the Tyros specific stand, unless you just have a lot of extra $ to burn. Just about any generic keyboard stand will work with the Tyros fine. You can p/u a generic 20 Gb HD for about $80. I recommend the Hitachi/IBM TravelStar. The Tyros speakers can be had for about $130 dollars, but they're not a necessity if you already have another speaker output option. I still think the Tyros is well in line price wise compared to the other 'top of the line' model arranger kb competition. - Scott

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online