Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#195989 - 08/18/03 07:57 PM Re: Tyros will not be in my studio
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Scott,

Thanks for the answer. I have more questions if you do not mind:

1) What about the sequencer? Can you copy, past, cut, move: notes or measures, from track to the same track, from track to a different track, from one song to another?

2) Does it have sample ram? can you load new songs?

3) how difficult is it to make new style? What tools are given for that?

4) Can the speaker outs be used as another main out? Can the volume for the speaker be controled separately than the other outs? Can tracks be selectively be routed to different or any outs?

5) Does it have a synth built in?

Sorry for asking these questions. but I do not have in my city any dealer who carries Tryos, genesys or any ketron products. I buy by faith.

#195990 - 08/18/03 08:03 PM Re: Tyros will not be in my studio
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
I
Quote:
Originally posted by sk880user:
Does $2300 price for Tyros includes the hardrive, stand, and speakers? If so, I will take my words back about the price. But if they get to $2700, I am not sure. It seems to me that Tyros is $2000 keyboard. Again I can be wrong.

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO WAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! sk880user. They are asking $2,799 at Guitar Center and it is just a bare bones offering. Music123.com was asking $2,495 when it first came out. They might be charging more now due to the fact the Tyros was awarded "Arranger Keyboard of the Year" for 2003. Again, that was just the Keyboard and NOTHING, NADA, ZILCH, ZIPPO, GOOSE EGG, THE BIG ZERO, 0, THE BIG VACUUM OF THE GREAT "OUT THERE SOMEWHERE" but not in my lifetime, ELSE!!!

I agree; I think it is way over priced for what you get. But if people continue to buy it for whatever reason, Yamaha will continue to charge you handsomely for it. If the sales were not near as good as expected, I could almost guarantee you the price would have dropped drastically; and the funny thing is, Yamaha would still have turned a big profit on each and every one sold even with a drastic drop in price.

PS: I am not trying to trash Yammie. On the contrary, more power to them for marketing the Tyros in such a way that scores of Musicians lined up on the waiting list even before it was released, plunking their money down sight unseen to get the Tyros. And although the Tyros has some great sounds and many wonderful Styles, IMO the Tyros has some serious drawbacks and limitations that are not found on some of their other Arranger Keyboards. And yes, one of the big drawbacks is the price. So as the story goes not all of us were fooled.

Best regards,
Mike

Another PS: If you love your Tyros and couldn't be happier with the purchase of it, then I am happy for you too. Please don't get upset and defensive at me for just sharing my opinion with you about how "I" feel about the Tyros.

#195991 - 08/18/03 08:04 PM Re: Tyros will not be in my studio
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
SK880 User: Are you certain you gave the 21K a true test? I had a 740, 9000, 2000 and now a 2100 (at least temporarily). There are a couple of styles on the 740 they left off, but it's a simple matter to put them on the 21K. To my ears, many of the sounds are the same, but the 2100 seems to be a clear winner on many others. The new Sweet Harmonica, Jazz Guitars, Slide Guitar, and several Organs really kick!
On the styles carried over from the 740, Yamaha has, IMO, improved them quite a bit by subtle changes in instrumentation, balance and effects.
The vocal processor and harmonizer are tons better than the 740. The only thing I miss from the 740 is the keypad.
Just curious, because your observation was truly shocking to me, and I always value your opinions.
DonM
P.S. Almost forgot--I played the Tyros for several hours. I feel the hard drive capability, improved drums, mega voices, big screen, etc., etc. are well worth the difference in price. But I still can't afford one right now!

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 08-18-2003).]

#195992 - 08/18/03 08:16 PM Re: Tyros will not be in my studio
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Idatrod,

So the 2300 price from scott might be a good deal after all. I was going to call George Kay

DonM,

I am very famous for changing my opinion especially when I did not get the chance to play long with it. Remember when I blasted 740 before I fell in love with it. No question asked that 2100/2000 are major improvements over 740. Concerning styles and sounds, it could be that the speakers I did not like. Also, it seems to me they took out some ballad styles from 2100. And you know how much I am in love with Ballad styles. But again I need to give it another listen. In the mean time, I listened to one of your performances, "come into my heart-Elvis Presly?" Your performance is wonderful. May I give you some chords that are more "minor-ish" and if you have the time to repeat the performance? so one will be major based and the other will be minor based.

[This message has been edited by sk880user (edited 08-18-2003).]

#195993 - 08/18/03 08:52 PM Re: Tyros will not be in my studio
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I would love the chords!
BTW, there is a new ballad style on the 2100, I think called Classic Piano Ballad, that is really awesome.
Donm

#195994 - 08/20/03 02:48 PM Re: Tyros will not be in my studio
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
Pilot,
I like your setup. I own a Korg I30 and Trinity, but Im really short on space(bedroom) to do all my recordings.
I was thinking, if I can sell my i30 and trinity and buy a used laptop like yours, what would be the keyboard that you recommend to use with the laptop and xg works? What I mean is, would any of yamahas higher end keyboards work better, or would it be the same as the 740?
What im looking for, is being able to have nice effects on the drums and separate effects for the accompany parts...
Thanks for any imput...

best,
musikman

Musikman4Christ........

#195995 - 08/20/03 04:58 PM Re: Tyros will not be in my studio
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Hi MusikMan,

That's a difficult question to answer as it involves personal taste to some degree. I find that the 740 is more ergonomic for my needs which is why I chose it over the 2000. The laptop/XGworks/740 system is an excellent match because the display and the access to the synth is limited. With my updates to XGworks I get access to just about the whole synth and the laptop is like an extended display, never mind all the extra facilities in XGworks. When you move up to the 2000 and above you get more access to the synth on the display but not all of it. XGworks will fill in the gaps but you still need the updates as it has nothing at all for the 2000 and not much for any of the other PSRs. It's still a good match but there are 15 more basic effects in the 2000 which XGworks can't handle properly due to limitations in its design. For anything with more than five DSPs (such as the 9000) there are even more limitations. Also, the XG editor only generates Yamaha sysex so it wouldn't be much good for other manufacturers' keyboards.

Bryan

#195996 - 08/21/03 05:17 AM Re: Tyros will not be in my studio
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
What I forgot to mention is where Cakewalk comes in. Since XGworks only covers XG and wasn't designed with PSRs in mind, some features are missing, particularly Organ Flutes and styles which have their own set of sysex. There are a lot of excellent Cakewalk Studioware panels for the 740 (which will also work on the 2000) which handle such things as Organ Flutes. I use MidiOx and MidiYoke to connect both XGworks and Cakewalk to the 740 simultaneously to use these features. Hubi's Loopback will work just as well but I like the extra features of MidiOx. The panels will work in all levels of Cakewalk and if you have the Pro version you can design your own panels to do just about anything. Cakewalk also has CAL which is a very powerful programming language.

Bryan

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online