SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#195311 - 01/21/02 10:16 AM Re: What do people think in your country about arrangers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Maybe it's just because the majority of arrangers are manufactured in Italy, but people here are accustomed to them. It's very common to walk into a dancing hall or even a restaurant and see someone singing and playing an arranger or simply singing and using the arranger just to play midifiles.

Quite a similar situation in Portugal. Although in the south of the country, keyboardists are not always taken seriously as good musicians (especially those "playing" midi files), arrangers are reasonably well accepted if included in small duets or trio,
and when styles are used.

In the North of Portugal people seem a bit less demanding and accept solo acts even when the use of midi files in dominant in the show.

I remember seeing a lot of arranger players and solo acts in the Canary Islands (spanish touristic islands near the african coast), with a vast majority of american, british and german audience.

#195312 - 01/21/02 10:38 AM Re: What do people think in your country about arrangers?
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
From what others have said, I may be one of the few using arranger keyboards to generate backing tracks for live solo guitar work. Playing from CD's or minidiscs, this approach works great from me. Most, who ask, seems amazed and want to know where that band comes from? This application works well for easy-listening, no-pressure cocktail music, receptions, etc., where they don't care what you play. As you would guess, taking requests is tough with prerecorded background tracks. I try to anticipate what the occasion calls for.

#195313 - 01/21/02 10:41 AM Re: What do people think in your country about arrangers?
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
This discussion about arranger acceptance is interesting on a lot of different levels. One of them is that this question - in and of itself makes arranger users think about the nature of the music and the evolution of sound. Taking this discussion all the way back to the 19th century when virtuosos like the violisnist Paganinni took tremendous creative/iimprovisational liberties inside the performance of an ensemble accompanying him who all played from a WRITTEN score. One could argue the orchestra was canned if you compared them to Paganinni. The operative argument should have been at that time as it should be now - DID you enjoy the performance - not some comment about the level of musicianship,whether you liked the style, the number of people in the band, etc.. those comments all have their place but in the final analysis - music will always be whether or not you enjoyed the experience of the sound and the atmosphere.

To some extent - playing with an arranger is only limited by your skills, musical ideas,the kind of setting you are in, and the quality of your sound in comparison to what people expect. For myself who envisions playing jazz with an arranger much in the same vein as a classical soloist/improvisor might interact with an orchestra - with different styles,tempos,segues,etc. all within the same piece - I believe arrangers offer an opportunity to do so with a tremendous time savings,cost savings, but may have to include an allowance for bringing an audience into a different state of comprehension about how music should or should not be presented. Not everyone will come along, but not everyone would like my music even if played by Oscar Peterson or Bill Evans accompanied by the London Philharmonic.

In the final analysis - music evolves - and arrangers have a place - they will improve - and thank God keyboard players will have an opportunity to share the limelight that has been showered so much on guitars.

regards
Mike H

#195314 - 01/21/02 11:24 AM Re: What do people think in your country about arrangers?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Mike H., That's wonderful!
I've never heard anyone say it better.
DonM

#195315 - 01/21/02 12:42 PM Re: What do people think in your country about arrangers?
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
I'm with Don on this.

Well said Mike.
When my wife and I play, the first command is on her beautiful voice and the style of music we play.

Only a couple of times did people come up and made a remark about "just pushing buttons".

In my experience those people make often remarks about everything and downplay even a regular bands and God who knows what else.

Those people got this discussion started in the first place, and we really shouldn't pay attention to them, because "ignorence" is their middle name.

If someone really appreciates music, it will not matter to them where it comes from.

I like to focus on those people that I make happy with my music. And I'm shure you all do the same.

Eric

#195316 - 01/21/02 01:38 PM Re: What do people think in your country about arrangers?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Just to make a little personal example of how things go here in Italy, Friday evening I have been invited to a party by a group of friends and colleagues; there will be a couple of other guys who play the guitar, but the host insisted that I bring my "organ" (sic!) because I am the only one who can take all the requests (from Tango to Hully Gully) and make people sing along (more or less out of tune) and be happy. So, even if there was a live band they would still prefer my arranger, because with a live band you can only listen, while with an arranger you become part of the show.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 01-23-2002).]

#195317 - 01/21/02 04:47 PM Re: What do people think in your country about arrangers?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Mike H
Bravo. Bravo! Don was right - you said it EXACTLY like it should have been said.

#195318 - 01/22/02 05:33 AM Re: What do people think in your country about arrangers?
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
with a live band you can only listen, while with an arranger you become part of the show.

Powerful words .... care to elaborate?
No one is a "part of the show" unless I INVITE them to be a part. At least that's the way I work. Please explain why you feel that it's different in a band - I don't see the point.

#195319 - 01/22/02 07:59 AM Re: What do people think in your country about arrangers?
JimJamJammin Offline

Loc: Surrey, England
Hmmmm, I wouldn't particularly describe myself as 'ignorant'.

#195320 - 01/22/02 12:11 PM Re: What do people think in your country about arrangers?
Uncle Dave Offline

I really don't think that was aimed at you Jamie.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online