SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#195264 - 09/30/00 09:46 PM Keyboard Screen Viewing Problems in the SUN
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi all,

I just got back from performing at an outdoor festival today here in the Bay Area (San Francisco). SF may be known for it's fog but during October the weather here is at it's best (warm and sunny). Ok, enough of the Chamber of Commerce plugs ...

I have a perfectly wonderful colored screen on my Technics KN5K which I rely on for onstage viewing (song selection, patch changes, etc). I got a rude surprise when trying to play today in the bright sunlight

Ok, I remembered to put on sunscreen, so "that" wasn't the problem.

Everything on the keyboard screen was not viewable. An umbrella was brought on stage to cover my playing area, but even that did not completely rectify the problem. Thankfully, during my break I got a chance to devise a cardboard type hood to completely shield the keyboard screen from the light.

Does anyone else experience screen viewing problems when performing outdoors? I wonder if there could be some kind of new screen design developed which which would allow us to view the keyboard screen in both bright and dark situations. Perhaps it is because I am using a color screen vs black and white. Are the black and white keyboard screens able to be read easily both indoors and outdoors?

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 09-30-2000).]

#195265 - 09/30/00 10:44 PM Re: Keyboard Screen Viewing Problems in the SUN
Dnj Offline

Arggggggggg! Scott that is one of the downsides to the K5, I also play alot of pool parties and the screen is useless outside. I just rely on my experience to navagate thru the keyboard just barley straining my eyes to see any text on the screen outside.

#195266 - 10/01/00 12:16 AM Re: Keyboard Screen Viewing Problems in the SUN
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You're right. The KN5000 screen disappears outdoors. I used to play some gigs on Amtrack trips and it didn't agree with some of the lighting on them either.
I don't think I've tried the 9000 outside yet, but I don't recall any problems playing the X1 outside last year.
Don

#195267 - 10/01/00 04:37 AM Re: Keyboard Screen Viewing Problems in the SUN
Clif Anderson Offline

PSR9k owners can hook up Sony Glasstrons (TV goggles) to the video out to see under any conditions. Or maybe not

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online