SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#195225 - 01/30/07 02:06 AM Re: ot/ Smoking ban hits Scotland........
Dnj Offline

#195226 - 01/30/07 04:58 PM Re: ot/ Smoking ban hits Scotland........
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Rhode Island is trying to ban smoking in vehicles where a small child is present ... I have often wanted to go up to one of these cars and ask the driver just what the HELL they are thinking ?!?!? ....
t.

#195227 - 01/30/07 05:07 PM Re: ot/ Smoking ban hits Scotland........
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Rhode Island is trying to ban smoking in vehicles where a small child is present ... I have often wanted to go up to one of these cars and ask the driver just what the HELL they are thinking ?!?!? ....
t.

Tony, where were you when my mother use to smoke in the car when I was a young one? I use to hate it, in those days I was told to keep my mouth shut. Now it's child abuse!!

Probably never mentioned I spent most of my working career in sales for RJ Reynolds. Mind you I never wanted to be a cigarette salesman when I grew up. I needed a job at that time, I had been working as a liquor salesman and that job was going to kill me, drank more than I sold some days Short story is there was an opening at RJR and I took it. Contrary to popular belief my job was not to lure in young smokers, in fact when it came to schools we were under strict orders not to promote our products. It was a great paying job, company car, 401k, retirement and when I took the early retirment program they paid my tuition at New England Tech that got me my full time job in IT today. Sorry for the rambling, but I'm with you I find cigarette smoke very offensive and adults should not be smoking in the car with children.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 01-30-2007).]

#195228 - 01/30/07 05:35 PM Re: ot/ Smoking ban hits Scotland........
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The government in the US is trying to get tobacco regulated as a drug, because unfortunately the tobacco industry is deliberately increasing nicotine levels in cigarettes and chew. Unbelievable shortsightedness on the tobacco industries' part, probably the last thing they wanted to make happen. But greed and collusion have always been their way....

The alcohol industry has been successfully regulated for donkey's years, alcohol contents are clearly labeled on liquor bottles, you won't find yourself addicted because the beer manufacturers decided to surreptitiously increase the alcoholic content of beer and not tell you....

What is it about Big Tobacco that makes them think they can do this without repercussions? They are little better than some Medellin Cartel, smuggling crack...

Of course, some idiot is going to speak up in the name of 'freedom of choice', but those are probably exactly the same people that rejoice in some crack smoker going to jail for half their adult life, for falling under the influence of no less an addictive substance.

Either ALL drugs should be legislated and controlled, or NONE should.

#195229 - 01/31/07 12:26 AM Re: ot/ Smoking ban hits Scotland........
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Diki,

Two husbands and my Dad all dead from cigs. It is a sore spot in my life. I have never smoked but I have watched 3 people I loved dearly perish from its use. It is NOT the way you want to DIE!!

Ban it? No, but surely tobacco companies need to be held accountable for the contents of what they sell. We ban products because they cause deaths, yet a cig is OK? We agreed to not ask anymore questions in our BIG settlement with the CIG companies years ago did we not? I do not get it.

Widowed 2 times,

-Lin

#195230 - 01/31/07 02:40 PM Re: ot/ Smoking ban hits Scotland........
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Lin..... I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

I lost my wife 6 years ago to alcohol, but feel that it was her choice..... No liquor manufacturer slipped her doubles or triples and told her they were single shots.

I do not feel that tobacco should be banned, just it's users protected from deceptive practices by the industry. Then, at least they could make an informed choice. But surreptitiously increasing the dosage without informing the user is, or should be, criminal.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online