SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#195036 - 11/01/00 06:04 AM Re: Opinions on Best Small Keyboard Amp Please?.....
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Buying the "right" stereo keyboard amp has plagued me for a long time. I'm using a 300 watt Crate guitar amp with two 10 inch speakers (yeah, not the best choice). I've got another Crate cab w/4-10" speakers when playing out (not that often). So, I can make a lot of noise but the system is big, heavy, and not meant for keyboard use.

I definitely want a nice, light, stereo amp setup for my PSR9000. I've read a lot about the Motion Sound KBR-3D Twin Amp (Keyboard Magazine Award) but never saw or heard one. Anyone actually see one of these expensive monsters?

Uncle Dave's PM-3 sounds interesting . . . but so do all the others. Man, I'm so confused that I just haven't done anything. A Samson EX30 with an EX20 sounds like a really nice system but I like the idea of a sub-woofer, and some of the PSR9000's styles seem to be VERY sub-woofer friendly.

More discussion on this topic would certainly be helpful.

#195037 - 11/01/00 08:43 AM Re: Opinions on Best Small Keyboard Amp Please?.....
Clif Anderson Offline

Thanks, Uncle Dave, for the info. I was going to ask about the Samsons anyway. One reason I like the PM-3 is that, at least with the right keyboard stand, the satellites can be mounted at an appropriate level. With the Mackies or the Samsons, the speakers should be mounted on stands, but they are a little big for that. I think I remember Scott saying that when he goes stereo he brings two KC-300s plus two speaker stands. I was thinking the PM-3 could get the high frequencies away from the floor without requiring separate stands.

#195038 - 11/01/00 03:57 PM Re: Opinions on Best Small Keyboard Amp Please?.....
Clif Anderson Offline

Oh well, scratch the PM-3 for gigging. The Samson Expeditions sound good. How about the Barbetta line? In my case, I am interested in good bass response because I apparently have purchased some samples with some very low frequency content (in fact they come with warnings for sound engineers).

#195039 - 11/01/00 11:36 PM Re: Opinions on Best Small Keyboard Amp Please?.....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've been quite pleased with my setup. PSR9000, Mackie 1202VLZ mixer, 2 JBL EON powered 15's. Since JBL has some EON 2's out now, the older ones are quite inexpensive compared to the Mackies (about half, in fact), and are somewhat lighter in weight. I think a really good system, although a little heavier in weight, would be JBL powered subs, and 2 powered 10-inch speakers, but I've never actually heard that setup.
I have another setup that consists of a Peavey 1000-watt digital power amp (10 pounds), rack-mount Peavey Deltafex twin for digital effects, Alesis stereo graphic e.q., and 2 Peavey 115 speakers. The speakers are quite inexpensive and sound really good. They weigh 29 pounds each. If I am in a situation that requires monitors, I plug two Hotspots into the back of the mains. The heaviest part of the whole rig was the rack case, so I made one myself out of a Coleman ice chest!
I even printed a sign which says "Red-neck Road Rack".
DonM

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online