SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#195006 - 09/06/03 07:56 AM Re: pc.problems
Dnj Offline

I hear ya ....I was just having a Mac Attack, ALTHOUGH I LOVE THE MAC OS.. ITS SO EASY TO USE!!!

Now.. do I get a New Super Desktop.....Super Laptop....or.. Super Desktop for home and Cheap Laptop for Stage Use [just to play Mp3's, Smf, MS Word lyrics, like the one I use now that Never gives me problems [knock on wood]!!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-06-2003).]

#195007 - 09/06/03 02:02 PM Re: pc.problems
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dnj:
[B]
Now.. do I get a New Super Desktop.....Super Laptop....or.. Super Desktop for home and Cheap Laptop for Stage Use [just to play Mp3's, Smf, MS Word lyrics, like the one I use now that Never gives me problems [knock on wood]!!!

Donny I think you've answered your own questions. Since the Laptop you now use is working just fine and it apparently serves your purposes for Stage Use I would just keep the Laptop you have and use it for your Stage work and go for a Super Desktop. A souped up Desktop is almost a necessity for a Home Recording Studio. And the "Faster" the better IMO. The new Pentium 4's have Hyperthreading capability and although sofware developers have to write new software, eg., Multi-tracking software, VST Plugins, Soft Sequencers, etc., to take advantage of the Hyperthreading capability in the P 4's, at least the Computer will be set to go when the new software becomes available down the road that takes advantage of the hyperthreading. Also, I would make sure you have USB 2.0 AND Firewire interfaces on your new Computer because some of the Music Gear coming out now and in the future will be USB 2.0 capable but NOT Firewire capable and the other way around. So it would be good and convenient to have both USB 2.0 AND Firewire capability on the computer. Of course, you should also think about getting one that has a CD-RW Drive AND either a DVD Recordable Drive or a speedy CD-ROM drive. Also a Combo CD-RW/DVD drive is a good way to go too. But just make sure you have at least 2 Drives, eg., CD-RW, DVD-R/RW, CD-RW/DVD, CD-ROM, and that at least one of them is a CD-R/RW drive. PS: The reason I say have 2 Drives is because you would want the ability to "Copy" from one Drive (CD-ROM), etc., to the other Drive-(CD-RW), etc.

If it were me I would just build the Computer from scratch and get the Hardware and parts and also Software I wanted, ie., "pick and choose" the best parts and Software. That way you know what your getting and you can build from the foundation up and build your Music Recording Dream machine if you so choose. But I realize not everyone can or would want to do that -(build their own)- so I would recommend getting a Computer from a major Brand manufacturer if possible, eg., Dell, Gateway, Hp, Sony Vaio, etc., because of the Warranty they offer.

Happy shopping!

PS: Donny,I've basically just hit the 'tip' of the iceberg on the things you could get for a Super Desktop computer to increase performance to make it even faster and more efficient for Music recording, Sequencing, etc. Things like a 10,000 RPM or 15,000 RPM Spindle speed Hard Drive[s]. And the fastest CPU you can afford. The Power Supply should be of excellent quality and capability. At LEAST 350W; 450-600W is better yet. (That's why it's better to build one yourself IMO. Most of your store bought Computers for the home user won't have a 450W Power Supply in it.

Best regards,
Mike

#195008 - 09/06/03 02:59 PM Re: pc.problems
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

DNJ I think you and Fran should buy the top of the line desktop, laptop and keyboard.

You see when you have a lot and you spend a little you still have a lot.

Time is free!!!

#195009 - 09/06/03 04:35 PM Re: pc.problems
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If it ain't broke--don't fix it...

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#195010 - 09/09/03 01:41 PM Re: pc.problems
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
hi ,thanks for all your help,i think all is ok.chatting to a friend of mine in uk. fixed it for me without leaving his house,he literally connected his pc. to mine via internet by taking control of my pc.,and run tests and now all seems ok,cheers mike

#195011 - 09/09/03 02:27 PM Re: pc.problems
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hey Mike,

Glad to see everything worked out OK for you.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online