SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#194684 - 11/14/05 01:09 AM OT: PC Crash - A cautionary Note
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Just a quicky - my XP PC bombed last week. I assumed it was just a random corruption and tried to repair the installation using the Windows XP Professional CDRom.

After two tries which failed, using different CDs, I checked the PC memory and discovered one of my chips was returning currupt data.

Removed the chip (on of a pair) and the PC re-loaded windows reliably. But because of the previous bad loads I've had to start from scratch because the recovery data that might have helped got wiped by the failed installs.

And the moral of the story....

If your PC crashes check the memory first! Then the repair processes might have a chance of working!

#194685 - 11/15/05 09:01 AM Re: OT: PC Crash - A cautionary Note
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Yes, I know...don't sneeze on a PC if you don't wanna crash it down!!!
My Atari still works...

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#194686 - 11/16/05 06:50 AM Re: OT: PC Crash - A cautionary Note
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
OT, and not so OT reply:

The fast rule on servicing PC's and other electrical equipment in general is that you have to:

Always check the cheapest part first, and go up in price. Unless of course the culprit is obvious.

If you attach a $300 microphone to your $1200 mixer, and get nothing at all, chance is that probably the $30 cable or the $5 plugs are at fault, and not the mixer and microphone.

Check the "memory timings" on the PC bios, also, they may push the memory speed in higher levels than it can tolerate.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online