SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#194348 - 11/14/05 09:28 AM Re: Please help me choose a microphone!
coca Offline

These are my choices. All of these microphones are requires phantom power but they sound awesome.

Shure Beta 87 (for female vocal)
Neumann KMS-105 (both male and female vocal)
AKG eb-535 (male vocal)
Blue 8-ball (classic look and blue technology)

Kevin

#194349 - 11/14/05 11:08 AM Re: Please help me choose a microphone!
MikeTV Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by STAM:
Has anybody here tried the Shure beta 58A?
It's supposed to be much better than SM58.

Hi Stam

I have been using an SM58A Beta for many years and also have a plain SM58 as a spare.

I wouldn't say the difference between them was huge. They both have a similar tonal character - slightly "nasal" - with the Beta version sounding a little colder and slightly more neutral. I actually think that the plain SM58 has a rather more pleasing warmer character than the Beta version.

Feedback rejection is very good on both, but they are a little different. The plain SM58 is a cardioid pattern (dead to sounds from the rear), whereas the Beta 58 is a hyper-cardioid (dead to sounds around 45 degrees from the rear, but will pick up some sound from the extreme rear). Which one gives you most gain before feedback will depend on how your gear is situated relative to the mic. The monitors, in particular, will make a big difference.

These two Shures are both bomb proof reliable, have good feedback rejection and are not overly sensitive to handling noise. In terms of sound quality, they have a rather uninteresting, somewhat "lighweight", clear, but "trouble-free" sound. A good vocalist will usually sound OK to excellent through either one, an average vocalist will sound at least tolerable.

Essentially, they both score well because of an absence of any significant minus points, rather than by being exceptionally good in any one area.

There are plenty of other mics out there that have a "nicer" sound, but many of them have problem areas in comparison to the SM series (may be too fragile, suffer from excessive breath, popping or handling noise, may not offer such good feedback rejection, etc). You need to try any possible choices in a gig situation - i.e. in a typical hall with the kit you intend to use them with, at a realistic volume.

My own opinion is that the "right" microphone for you is the one that brings out your particular voice quality to it's best advantage, and works well with the gear you intend to use it with.

If you sound good through either of the SM58s, you will find either is a safe buy. You won't be disappointed, and they will never let you down.

However, before doing so, try as many decent mics as you can lay your hands on. As well as the AKGs and Sennheisers that have been mentioned in this thread, I would suggest you also try Shure's own SM57 Beta (still has essentially the same sort of typical Shure sound character, but is subtly different, may suit you better or worse) plus have a look at some Beyers (excellent sound, but suffer from handling noise and can be a bit fragile), and some EV mics (suprisingly good, and suprisingly inexpensive).

All will sound different. One will suit you best.

[This message has been edited by MikeTV (edited 11-14-2005).]

#194350 - 11/14/05 12:25 PM Re: Please help me choose a microphone!
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:

Even if I had all 6 microphones in the room together to demo live myself, my evaluation would have been swayed by my own brand/model perceptions/misperceptions, because the it's usually clearly marked on the mic itself. - Scott

This is pretty interesting Scott, as my choice still is number 5 as it does sound more lively to me.
There's a high chance that Heiki sung with more passion in his "old" mike.

To Heiki,
There's one missing in your choices which could be worthwhile looking at if not yet decided.

That's the ATM 41 .
They reissued this mike.
I use one since years and allthough I do have SM58 and Beyer I prefer the ATM.
Works best with my voice.
Is in the same price range as the SM58 and
rocksolid as well.

Fred

#194351 - 11/14/05 04:14 PM Re: Please help me choose a microphone!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

I believe I would have picked up the improved quality, but most everyone else did so as well. I began with an SM-58, and at the time it was the best thing since peanut-butter & jelly when it came to handheld mics. But that was a long time ago. Since then I graduated through several different mics, including the Sennheiser E-855, which I place in the excellent category. However, I like the Samson Q-7 even more, and amazingly, the mic cost less than $100. Currently, I'm using a Crown CM-311-A headset mic, and for me, it's the best headset mic available. Not only does it provide me with the freedom of movement while performing, it also provides outstanding vocal quality. And, after decades of using a handheld mic, it only took a few hours to adjust my singing style to be comfortable with the headset.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#194352 - 11/14/05 05:01 PM Re: Please help me choose a microphone!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:

I believe I would have picked up the improved quality

I knew that of course , but because you said you own(?), or are very familiar with the sound of the Sennheiser e855, of which you rated as your #2 personal favorite, I was willing to bet you would have been able to spot which 'one of the six' was the Sennheiser e945 (the overall winner). Even though the e855 & e945 are different models, I'm guessing that consecutive models of the same brand share a similar sound. - Scott

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online