SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 10 11 12
Topic Options
#193997 - 11/21/03 12:26 PM Re: The future of arranger keyboards
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
Jaime,

I see no problem in that. You could also use the song window for the lyrics (and let OMB play the chords for you too).

Jos

#193998 - 03/17/04 01:10 PM Re: The future of arranger keyboards
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jos Maas:

Musikman,

The new sequencer is already in the works. I'll spend another month testing it and making help functions. This must be the final version, there will not be a major release every 3 months after that.

If you want to use Yamaha styles I would advice to add an XG device. You get reasonable results in GM mode in OMB, but it will be better with an XG device even a very cheap one. I did some research on available soundcards that have an XG chip in it. Read it at http://www.1manband.nl/which.htm . You can use your other gear to record the melody. Use the MIDI-Mapper to define different MIDI-ports as decribed in the helpfile.

Jos

[This message has been edited by Jos Maas (edited 09-04-2003).][/B]

Joe,
I wanted to ask a question. If I buy a soundcard that has the XG chip in it, when I say, make a song on your OMB program, will there be a delay or say latency, from the time I hit a key on my keyboard to the time the sound comes out?
Or would you recommend better on getting a yamaha module to get something going?

Thanks

Musikman

Musikman4Christ........

#193999 - 03/17/04 01:42 PM Re: The future of arranger keyboards
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
If the soundcard has ASIO drivers with it then you'll have very low latency (generally anything under 8ms is not noticeable). If your soundcard does not come with ASIO drivers then you can try this freeware generic ASIO program, which works with many common Windows soundcards (including those on laptops):
http://michael.tippach.bei.t-online.de/asio4all/

#194000 - 03/17/04 02:00 PM Re: The future of arranger keyboards
R-F Offline

Loc: Berlin/ Germany
Do you know about Icarus?
How Icarus tried to fly and crashed?
Therefore, the name "Ikarus" is pretty right for a Windows PC based keyboard.
The Franz Brothers did some strange things, but now they want us to trust in "intel inside" and "Windows XP".
They said to me "Sell your Technics, sell your Yamaha and buy our keyboard". It's easy, to say something like this.
What about we have to say "Dear dancers, please wait a while, I have to restart my instrument"?
The future of arranger keyboards? Maybe a built in coffee machine, an egg cooker and a toaster?
A built in PA is not the future (PSR 9000), Win dotty is today in 2 brands (both German companies, I'm be ashamed to be a German).
I hope, the companies will notice, what we really want.

------------------
Regards
RF

#194001 - 03/17/04 02:19 PM Re: The future of arranger keyboards
R-F Offline

Loc: Berlin/ Germany
About "Flohmarkt"
I was more impressed by the anouncement "Hi Folks,
Sell my eqment
Sh... divorce.
Exchange everything I have for a cahravan.
Tyros 3 months with HD and softwair.
HK Lukas 1000 nearly new.
Behringer UB 1604 FX Pro and much more
for a caravan.
Value of The system circa 6500 Euro"
I tried to translate everything, all the wrong spellings too.

------------------
Regards
RF

#194002 - 03/17/04 02:51 PM Re: The future of arranger keyboards
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
In my case since im not going to do any gigging, I really think that the PC software arranger is going to be the way to go..
I sold my trinity and built my pc. Now I think I have good specs.. The only thing is that many of the current programs run on XP only.
I have an ASIO 2.0 soundcard called the Korg Oasys PCI. I like it, but it only works in Windows 98SE or ME. Not XP. And I thought it would be better to get somehting more updated and be able to use OMB and a controller keyboard. But I just cant make up my mind.
I think the best thing to do, is order an XG soundcard for now, a cheap one and go from there. Then if I can get the hang of everything, then I may do the upgrade to XP.

Guys, a question, if say I get an XG soundcard, will the output of the XG soundcard have to go to an input of my other soundcard? Or can this be done internally with cubase?

Musikman4Christ........

#194003 - 03/17/04 10:46 PM Re: The future of arranger keyboards
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
I would have no problem with the keyboard running Windows (XP). It is very stable. My computer at home runs for weeks without powerdown, with no hangups or malfunctions, and that's with kids playing internet games and installing all kinds of programs. In the dedicated PC (or windows-based keyboard), I would have tight control over what gets loaded, and I am convinced it would not cause problems in performance.

That Ikarus beast looks pretty cool too, weighing 21 kg (45 lbs) with 76 keys, sliders, buttons, and a screen. Did I understand correctly that it has an on-board 30W x 2 amp and speakers?

The only concern is price - at $6500 or more it would be too expensive for me (and probably most others here).

Regards,
Alex

#194004 - 03/18/04 08:08 AM Re: The future of arranger keyboards
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
Musikman,

If you have a soundcard that has a Yamaha XG chip (like the Hoontech digital XG) then you won't hear any delay. Some cheap soundcards come with a XG softsynth, don't buy one of those because you will not be able to test the delay before you buy.

You can get acceptable latency with softsynths but you need a fast PC and a soundcard with ASIO drivers. You can download and test them for free.

About the XG soundcard working together with your other soundcard, I don't think you can have two soundcards in a PC at the same time. Unless you can find a Yamaha SW60XG soundcard which is not a complete soundcard but a synthesizercard. It works fine together with a Soundblaster but you don't find them anymore on Ebay.

Any GM module will do too.

Jos

Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 10 11 12

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online