SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#193747 - 08/22/06 06:04 PM Hello!
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
I am a bass player/vocalist with nearly 30 years experience. Just introducing myself and I want to add that I have been lurking here for some time. I have enjoyed this forum greatly and have just about found the nerve to start an OMB project-something I have always wanted to do. I played in mostly country bands but haven't done so for a couple years (guys got too old to carry equipment).

I have been fooling around with various keyboards for about three years now. I have had a Yamaha PSR 740, PSR 1100 and PSR 295. I finally decided that owning "too much" keyboard was not smart for me from an economic standpoint since I don't play too well and mostly use the keyboard for recording. I settled on a Casio WK-3200 which has a decent piano sound and enough others to keep me happy. I still do regret selling the 1100 though.

Anyway, the point is I don't see my playing improving to the point that I could gig with an arranger so I am looking to start with a guitar and CD backing tracks. I will probably begin in Nursing Home and Assisted Living Facilities and see if I can expand from there. I don't live in a great area economically but hopefully there is some work out there for me.

In closing, I just want to thank ALL the members here for a great forum that helped me learn much about arranger keyboards and alot about music and OMB in general BTW! I don't think I could have gotten started without this place and also some great encouragement from a guitar playing friend of mine who will probably help me out on gigs, especially at first.

I want to especially thank two guys here for the amazing amount of information and help they provide on a nearly daily basis. Those guys are Scott Yee and Gary Diamond. They have an amazing degree of knowledge and the ability to convey that knowledge to others! Thanks guys and thanks to everyone here!

BTW, I'm sure I'll have many questions as time goes by!

[This message has been edited by W Tracy Parnell (edited 08-22-2006).]

#193748 - 08/22/06 06:25 PM Re: Hello!
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Consider buying a used psr2100. That would do ya just fine, you know the O.S. and wouldn't cost much.

Nice photos!

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#193749 - 08/22/06 06:29 PM Re: Hello!

Thanks!

Yeah, the 2100 is a great board. I would like to move up eventually but as I said I've only been playing 3 years and I can't justify the expense right now. Maybe in a few years I'll end up with a Tyros 2 or a 3000 when the price comes down some. But the Casio does a good job in my recordings-I mostly use piano and strings anyway. I LOVE Yamaha boards though-the styles and sounds are great.

#193750 - 08/22/06 06:57 PM Re: Hello!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Tracy ..... welcome ...... the photos are BEAUTIFUL ... I would love to know what kind of equipment you used for the zoo shots ... is that a tick near the rhino's eye ?!? ...
Presque Isle - Lake Erie ? ...
t.

#193751 - 08/22/06 07:07 PM Re: Hello!

Thanks a million Tony!

I used to use a Canon system(I think it got sold for some music equipment at some point!)-a Digital Rebel with various lenses. All the equipment is listed on my "profile" page at Pbase. I'm using a Nikon D50 now mostly with a Tamron 200-500 zoom. Great system with a little less noise than my old Rebel had.

That does look like a tick on the Rhino-never noticed that before! Yes, I love Presque Isle. Only been out there once this year. I live just far enough away (35 miles) that I don't go as often as I should.

Thnaks again and thanks for your many posts here too!

#193752 - 08/22/06 07:18 PM Re: Hello!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Tracy. A great big welcome to Synthzone. I really enjoyed your Pbase Photo Gallery Pictures. Excellent work. I too enjoy photography, but haven't had much time to devote to it lately. If you want to checkout pictures I took 3-4 years ago, checkout my Pbase Photo gallery HERE :
You can choose from one of 9 different galleries.

Quote:
Originally posted by W Tracy Parnell:
I want to especially thank two guys here for the amazing amount of information and help they provide on a nearly daily basis. Those guys are Scott Yee and Gary Diamond. They have an amazing degree of knowledge and the ability to convey that knowledge to others!

Thanks for the nice plug. I feel honored to share this with SZ's senior 'Shining Diamond', Gary as well. Tracy. Your complimentary words have really made my day, and make all the effort worth it. I look forward to look forward to your SZ posting contributions, especially from your unique perspective as a long time Country band Bass player.

Scott

#193753 - 08/22/06 07:43 PM Re: Hello!

Thanks for the link Scott-nice photos!

I will say I thought I knew alot about music, but after learning (a little) keyboard and (some) recording skills and hearing you guys play I am finding out I didn't know that much! I remember (I think it was last winter) when everyone was posting their version of "I Left My Heart in SF". Amazing performances by all but I was partial to "The Wolf's" version.

#193754 - 08/23/06 03:40 AM Re: Hello!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hi Tracy,

Welcome aboard. Feel free to ask some questions and if there is any help you need feel free to just ask.

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#193755 - 08/23/06 06:09 AM Re: Hello!
T42 Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Tracy welcome to SZ. I've not been here long myself but the majority all seem like a good bunch.

#193756 - 08/23/06 06:21 AM Re: Hello!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
My thinking is that, while music may be our first love and the means we have chosen to outwardly express our artistic genes, there lies within all of us latent talents towards other creative art forms (did I just write that ?!? ) ... I know that several of us, Scott, Dreamer, Gary D, myself, and others whom I have not mentioned out of memory failure, share an interest in photography ... I have had a passion for photography for about 35 years ... While I have never had "pro" gear, I have had some decent equipment... One of the best cameras I had was a Minolta SRT 201 35mm SLR - fully manual - but I got to the point where I took some great shots with it ... unfortunately it was stolen from my hotel room during a business trip... I currently have a Nikon 35mm and a Sony 5meg Digital ... I enjoy the flexibility of the digital, but I still love a good film print ...
Glad to have you aboard, Tracy ...
t.
PS .. I've only been to Presque Isle once, during a business trip to Erie, but it is beautiful ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 08-23-2006).]

#193757 - 08/23/06 08:40 AM Re: Hello!
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tony and others...we're "eaten up" with photo equipment. We have a full selection of 4"x5" and 8"x10" view cameras with digital backs, 6x7's, 2 1/4's and some 35 mm and smaller digitals.

We do packaging, high end brochures and even billboards. Sadly, I haven't taken a photo for fun in years. We're always taking photos of credit cards, electrical components, staircase kits,Auto components, computer printersand cartridges etc.

Photography is about 1/3 of what we do for a living.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 08-23-2006).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online