SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#193713 - 03/24/05 05:08 AM Member Profiles
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I often refer to member profiles to get a member's name, email or location. But often I find a member profile mostly blank. I understand everyone's reluctance to give out too much info on the net, but if you are going to be an active member, shouldn't you give us some reasonable idea of who you are and where you come from?

Just asking.

#193714 - 03/24/05 05:21 AM Re: Member Profiles
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hi cassp
This is one of my pet hates!
I am always interested in the members' details and always click on the 'profile'.
It is nice to know things like where are you,are you M or F,what is your age (birthdate).THese are the important onesw to me because it gives me a feeling of contact with my fellows.
I hope your thread will prompt every one to make sure that the details are entered if you so wish!
cheers
Eddie Johnson,from Rotherham UK ,DoB 8 May 1932,retired,loving every minute of it,spending most of my time either playing PSR9000 or playing PC which is just upgraded to Windows XP - any other info readily available!!!!
cheers

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#193715 - 03/24/05 05:31 AM Re: Member Profiles
cassp Offline

Hey Eddie, we share the same birthdate, May 8th. I was born in 1950. Lifelong "downriver" Detroiter. Downriver is a local expression describing the more indusrtrial southern suburbs of Detroit. We don't have all the glamour or money of the northern suburbs of Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak or Troy. I live in a small town called Southgate. I'll be retiring after 33 yrs as a middle school teacher this June - looking forward to it!

#193716 - 03/24/05 06:21 AM Re: Member Profiles
Keyboardcapers Offline

Loc: England

#193717 - 03/24/05 07:05 AM Re: Member Profiles
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I thought giving out your contact information was a good idea until the incident with Yamaha contacting certain members here and threatening them with legal action to force them to remove their posts concerning the possible Tyros II arranger. That changed everything. This isn't the open social forum it used to be if we're going to be sued for our comments. I gave my Hotmail account in my profile - let Yamaha email me a summons if they want...

#193718 - 03/24/05 07:17 AM Re: Member Profiles
cassp Offline

You are certainly right, Jim. But as you see I know your name, be it from reading old posts or checking your website or whatever. Putting a name or a face to an ID like The Pro helps me relate to members. Keep private what you want private, by all means. I was suggesting a little more openness in those profiles where there is NO hint of a name, hometown or anything like that.

Maybe - and I know we talked about this long ago - a directory or geographic map might be a helpful add-on. Or what about a picture or an avatar? I don't operate a working website, so I don't have a place for such things.

BTW - you were one of the first members I remember reading when I joined two years ago. I thought you were pretty abrasive, but you're a really nice, well informed guy. Although we've never met I consider you a musical friend. I respect your opinions.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 03-24-2005).]

#193719 - 03/24/05 11:03 AM Re: Member Profiles
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
I like seeing peoples info and stuff, but its up to them entirely.

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 03-24-2005).]

#193720 - 03/24/05 11:24 AM Re: Member Profiles
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
I've often wondered why some people who join forums have to hide behind a
"nickname" at the first place. If you can't stand for what you're saying,
well, don't say it.
But not to show email adress may be a good adwise, because nowadays the
spamsenders use software who scans the web for valid emails to send this
spam to, even use as senders adress.
After I removed my maladress in the profile it's far less spam in my inbox,
but the one used at my website still collect quite a lot of it.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#193721 - 03/25/05 07:29 AM Re: Member Profiles
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hi cassp
There you are , you see , we share the same birthdates!! If you hadn't opened this thread I would never have known this coincidence! Incidentally, I have lived long enough to have known a number of guys I met with either the same birthdate or the same month and , it is amazing that I have always felt a closer fiendship with them, strange but true!Actually you are the 4th. acquaintance who shares the same birthdate and they are all very close friends of mine.cheers
@ Midge, thanks for pointing us to your personal writeup which I found very interesting.. The particular instance which caught my eye from your biography was that your son was a player on the NorthSea Ferries boats to Rotterdam and Zeebrugge. As a former Exporter, I used these boats at least once every month from 1974 to retiring in 2000, so I knew the Norwave,Norwind,Norland,Norstar,Norsea,Norsun,Pride of Rotterdam,Pride of Hull.And I always used to talk with the Pianists in the Lounges. How's that for coincidence?!!
cheers
Eddie Johnson

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online