SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#193613 - 01/19/04 04:12 PM Re: Competition and ethics...
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Does anyone have that one guy that keeps coming up every time your playing and ask, if he could do it during the breaks... Or if you want a break he'd like to play for a bit... Or can he just play for a while?? I use to have this guy constantly wanting to take over... Ever time I took a break.. Can I play??? Just wondering... Never met a more pain in the backside fellow.. I was always nice... But sometimes it's hard to be.
DJ

#193614 - 01/19/04 04:33 PM Re: Competition and ethics...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Sure have! In fact, I have people who show up with a music stand, sheet music to show tunes and a group of friends. Usually, One person in the party says "we want to hear
(name) sing...here's her music. IT NEVER HAPPENS!, mainly, we're in a restaurant, not a showclub.

I also have numerous people ask to play breaks, before I start, etc. Management asked me to institute a "no sit in" policy, so I avoid the problem. Of course, that means I cannot ask my friends to sit in, and I really miss that.

Russ

#193615 - 01/19/04 05:24 PM Re: Competition and ethics...
The Accordionist Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by beachbum:
Does anyone have that one guy that keeps coming up every time your playing and ask, if he could do it during the breaks... Or if you want a break he'd like to play for a bit... Or can he just play for a while?? I use to have this guy constantly wanting to take over... Ever time I took a break.. Can I play??? Just wondering... Never met a more pain in the backside fellow.. I was always nice... But sometimes it's hard to be.
DJ

That's the cool thing about playing the accordion. My new accordion weighs over 40 pounds and because I'm such a big guy the straps are set really huge. Very few people play the accordion and the ones that took lessons years ago wouldn't THINK about trying to play my beast. And unlike an arranger or a piano, playing the accordion when you don't play regularly can really sound terrible.

I used to play piano in a piano-bar overseas for a couple of years and EVERY single night some bonehead would try to take over. It was so annoying.

If anyone ever does try to play my reedless I'll just shut off my XD3, turn the volume wayyyy down, and let them have a go at it.

Like somebody said on another post awhile back, the guy that tells all his friends how awesome he is and wants to "take over" at every bar or restaurant is NOT the guy you want to hear. It's always the guy that gives you $10 on the way out and says "I play a little jazz over at Morton's if you ever want to stop by for a listen" that you would really like to show you something.

Tommy

#193616 - 01/20/04 07:47 AM Re: Competition and ethics...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Invited guests of MINE are always welcome on stage, but the customer who volunteers himself or another patron rarely gets the nod from me. I get paid to entertain, not to babysit, and even though a spirited version of "what I like about you" just MIGHT get this guy into some girls pants .... it's neither my place or my wish to participate in the ritual.

As for someone playing my breaks - never on my gear. Sometimes a room has 2 acts booked. That's different. I've shared sets before, but I won't play "Ted Mack" to the amatures any more. When the norm becomes sing-a-longs and sit-ins .... that's when I start laying bricks.(in a matter of speaking)

#193617 - 01/20/04 10:30 AM Re: Competition and ethics...
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
That's one benefit of bricklaying, you soon learn to tell people to go fly a kite or worst.

Man up and just tell them no!

1. Tell them you don't let your wife, children nor your parents touch your gear.

2. Who cares if they get mad or their feelings hurt! You don't want them or their friends in you audience anyway yelling for him to get up and sing every night.

3. Tell him to go get his own gig!

OK! If it's the owner's son you might have a problem. You might, after the first night, explain to the owner that your gear is expensive and you don't want anyone touching or getting near it.

My buddy Sonny in Carmel Cal. quit a 9 year gig that probably paid as much as any other 4 night a week gig in the USA, because of sit-ins. It's a shame. I know he was making pretty good. I don't know how he put up with it for so long. He played their acoustic piano and use the house PA so, he didn't have to worry about gear.

#193618 - 01/20/04 10:51 AM Re: Competition and ethics...
Dnj Offline

Hahhhahah Boo....ya whats next?....in the middle of a heart transplant some dude comes in the O.R. and says
"hey man, mind if I fill in & try that new scalpel you got there" Arrrrrg....

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-20-2004).]

#193619 - 01/20/04 11:20 AM Re: Competition and ethics...
zuki Offline

Hmmm......I'm going to have to learn "What I think about you".

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#193620 - 01/20/04 11:24 AM Re: Competition and ethics...
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Donny your pretty cool,

Great!!!!!!!! I love it.

I'll ask the next person requesting to sit in, If I were doing surgery would he ask to sit in for me.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!Ha! Ha!Ha! Ha!Ha! Ha!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online