SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#193481 - 01/26/04 08:35 PM dgx 202 or wk-3000
DirOfCIA Offline

hello everyone,
i am a keyboarding "newbie". I have started lessons and am looking at purchasing either the yamaha dgx 202 or wk-3000. they are the same exact price locally. is there a certain one that is better than the other one? any help in deciding between the two would be greatly appreciated...
thanks

DirOFCIA

#193482 - 01/26/04 09:14 PM Re: dgx 202 or wk-3000
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I sell both of these products at my store in Los Angeles. Right now, the WK3000 offers much more in features and in sound quality. The difference is that Yamaha is a better company to deal with if you need help but the sound quality of the Casio for Piano and Organs beat the Yamaha. Guitar wise, they are both good. Brass is better in the Casio. The Rhythms are pretty equal but the Casio is still better in my opinion. Also, the Casio has a smart media card option for saving and playing and the Yamaha has none. Also, the Casio has programable synth possibilities and you can choose any sound you wish to split where the Yamaha doesn't allow so many sounds to be used in split mode. I also can tell you that the effects processer in the Casio is totally programable and the Yamaha is not. I guess you can see which one I like better!
George Kaye
kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#193483 - 01/26/04 09:17 PM Re: dgx 202 or wk-3000
George Kaye Offline

I sell both of these products at my store in Los Angeles. Right now, the WK3000 offers much more in features and in sound quality. The difference is that Yamaha is a better company to deal with if you need help but the sound quality of the Casio for Piano and Organs beat the Yamaha. Guitar wise, they are both good. Brass is better in the Casio. The Rhythms are pretty equal but the Casio is still better in my opinion. Also, the Casio has a smart media card option for saving and playing and the Yamaha has none. Also, the Casio has programable synth possibilities and you can choose any sound you wish to split where the Yamaha doesn't allow so many sounds to be used in split mode. I also can tell you that the effects processer in the Casio is totally programable and the Yamaha is not. I guess you can see which one I like better!
I forgot to tell you that the key touch on the Casio feels better than on the Yamaha.

George Kaye
kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#193484 - 01/26/04 09:35 PM Re: dgx 202 or wk-3000
DirOfCIA Offline

i appreciate your input and have been looking back at some older posts comparing the 2 models.... i think i should stress that my main interests is the Piano so it would be important to me to have the one that has the better sounding piano... i am also interested in the smart media port and expandibility... if the Casio is the better one for piano then it is the one i will
purchase... let me know if it isnt though

and also it seems debatable on the importance of the Yamaha Education Suite II. I am taking lessons now and will take lessons at college. Is this suite just awesome for beginners and necessary?

thanks again
DirOFCIA

#193485 - 01/27/04 04:46 AM Re: dgx 202 or wk-3000
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I got the chance to play the wk3500 the other day. I had tried the 3000 before and wasn't sold on it, and I think the two are supposed to sound the same, but I will say that I was pretty impressed with the 3500.

I haven't tried the dg202, but I have played other Yamaha boards in the 3500's range, and I would agree with George here. I think the 3500's piano sounds better ( to me ) than any of the comparable Yamaha boards.

AJ

#193486 - 01/27/04 07:25 AM Re: dgx 202 or wk-3000
George Kaye Offline

For the purpose of Piano, I would say the Casio has it! The Yamaha piano is good but because of weaker speakers it has a less robust sound quality. If I run the Yamaha through a speaker system it sounds very good, but the Casio sounds great without the use of external speakers. I did do one thing in my store that has really sold the Casio Piano.......When you hit the button which has the grand piano on it, you always go to the piano, however, to my taste there is too much Reverb. So what I've done is to turn off the "dsp" light (this is the insert effect which is over and above a system reverb and chorus processor) and then I go to the system reverb and give it just a little reverb and store it at user location 600. Now, when someone comes into the store and tries the Casio I can show them a piano with a lot of reverb and my custom one with just a taste of reverb. Some think the stock piano has way to much reverb and I agree. Just having the ability to edit and store a new sound is a plus.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#193487 - 01/27/04 07:43 AM Re: dgx 202 or wk-3000
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I second George's opinion on key feel for the Casio. I was very impressed by the key feel on the Casio. The key feel is better then the Yamaha PSR2100 and even felt better then my Roland EM keyboard. We are comparing non-weighted boards.
I have never used Yamaha's education suite, but I'll give my opion anyways. You don't need it (especially if your taking lessons).
1. You don't need a chord dictionary. You can figure out any chord without looking it up. If you don't know how to do this. Ask your teacher or here.
2. Minus one mode. Just mute that track on a MIDI file.
3. Both hands mode. Just mute two tracks.
4. Timing mode. Play along with a MIDI file or record yourself and compare it to a MIDI file.
5. If your teacher has a MIDI keyboard he/she could record the bass on one track and the treble on another track and PRESTO you have "minus one mode" (just mute the track your working on)
Starkeeper

#193488 - 01/27/04 07:48 AM Re: dgx 202 or wk-3000
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
There are some good FREE piano lessons at "San Antonio Piano Lessons". These are good for beginners or intermediate players.
Check it out. http://users.wireweb.net/green/pianolessons.htm
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 01-27-2004).]

#193489 - 01/27/04 11:41 AM Re: dgx 202 or wk-3000
DirOfCIA Offline

i must say i appreciate all of your responses.

i went into this keyboard buying process thinking casio's were toys sold at wal-mart but as i see they are not

with all of the positive comments i see on the casio it may just have to be my choice

thanks again
DirOfCIA

#193490 - 01/27/04 12:17 PM Re: dgx 202 or wk-3000
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DirOfCIA:
i must say i appreciate all of your responses.

i went into this keyboard buying process thinking casio's were toys sold at wal-mart but as i see they are not

with all of the positive comments i see on the casio it may just have to be my choice

thanks again
DirOfCIA

Actually, you weren't really wrong! Just recently has Casio begun making decent mid-level arrangers.
I know a couple of guys who use them, but are still hiding the name when on stage!
DonM

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online