SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#193440 - 11/06/01 12:04 PM Sonic Maximizer - Blue Tube
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I've been trying out the BBE264 Sonic Maximizer ($49.95) and the PreSonus Blue Tube preamp ($149.95) both from Musicians Friend.

The BBE 264 Sonic Maximizer actually makes a great deal of difference in the sound of my Solton X1. I was very skeptical when I first heard about the device. I thought it was just another equalizer. It isn't. I could not duplicate by using EQ the added clarity and presence the 264 makes to the sound. Playing without it sounds like you have pillows in front of the speakers. I will definately keep the BBE264.

The PreSonus Blue Tube is another story. I was hoping it would add a little warmth to my vocals. I tried running it from the mike into the X1, too much gain. I was putting the output from the tube preamp into the X1 preamp. When I did get it to work by setting practically everything at minimum levels it really didn't make much difference. I also went directly from the mike into the Blue Tube into the PA bypassing the X1. It too made little difference. I tried going from the L & R of the X1 into the Blue Tube then into the PA. I could get a very dirty sound if desired this way. The growl sax and fuzz guitar sounded pretty good with a little dirt added. Of course everything else got dirty this way too.

I will keep the BBE. I will return the Blue Tube. I'm sure I can find a better way to spend 150 dollars. Maybe I should invest it in voice lessons.

Tom

Tom

#193441 - 11/06/01 01:08 PM Re: Sonic Maximizer - Blue Tube
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom, thanks for the review of the BBE 264. I also have an X-1 and for $49.99 it sounds like a great invesment. Below is a link to some excellent reviews on the unit.
http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/BBE/264-01.html

Are you running your X-1 directly into the BBE 264? Can you explain how you have it hooked up?

Thanks for the tip Tom.

Bob

#193442 - 11/06/01 05:37 PM Re: Sonic Maximizer - Blue Tube
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Bob,

I'm going from outputs 1 and 2 into the BBE264. Then I'm going from the L and R of the BBE264 into my PA.

It really is too bad that you lose the DSP when you seperate the outputs into 1,2,3,4. I really would like to use 1 and 2 plus snare and cymbal on three and bass out on 4.

Did you read my email from the Solton Club about hanging notes since I've installed OS version 4?

Regards,

Tom

Tom

#193443 - 11/06/01 06:22 PM Re: Sonic Maximizer - Blue Tube
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom,

Thanks for explaining your set up with the Sonic Maximizer. I ordered it from Musician's Friend this afternoon.

I'm sorry you're having problems with hanging notes with OS 4.0. I've had it installed since August and haven't had any problems.

Bob

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online