SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#193181 - 02/05/02 11:51 AM TC Helicon - any users out there?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
After liqidating some studio gear, I decided to buy a new harmonizer, but the model I got was not upgraded to the higher specs. So far, from what I've read - there is not enough justification in the almost $400 addition to make me want to buy the card.
Anyone have any advice in this area? I really like the effects section of this new unit - that was something that the Digitech was a little weak in. This piece has great reverbs, delays etc. PLUS programmable EQ and compression.
The overall tone of the harmonies is a little better than the Digitech, but it's NOT night & day. If it weren't for the effects, I would'nt upgrade on the sound alone. I'm really interrested in what the new plug in board can do. Any help would be greatly appreciated ..... and MAY even save me some money !(do I really NEED this thing?)

#193182 - 02/05/02 12:30 PM Re: TC Helicon - any users out there?
Clif Anderson Offline

I have the VoicePrism, but have decided so far not to add the plug-in board. The basic VoicePrism comes with what I was looking for--Mic Input with Phantom power, Compression, EQ, harmony, and effects--mainly reverb for me. I think the VoicePrism interface is far superior to the Digitect interfaces, but that depends on what you are used to. I personally enjoy the voice "icons", but others may think they are too cute. I have not checked on how well one can switch between presets in a live situation.

I might get the physical modeling card simply because I have the slot, but I am not very excited about it. What it does is interesting, it converts one vocal inflection style to another--allowing you to add breathiness, graspiness, growling, etc. to an otherwise vanilla vocal. A recent report in one of the trade magazines indicated that one producer found this feature a life saver--applied to someone else's vocal track.

Unfortunately, from my perspective, the "effect" can only be applied to the lead vocal, not to the harmonies. In my case, the lead vocal is "me" and that's the one thing I want to preserve. What I would like is the ability to apply the physical modeling to selected harmony voices so it sounds like I am accompanied by someone other than myself. As far as the lead vocal, I just as soon do my own growling.

#193183 - 02/05/02 06:25 PM Re: TC Helicon - any users out there?
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi Uncle Dave,
I am rather envious. I bid for the voice prism on ebay a little while ago but was scuppered at the last minute. (That will teach me not to be so cheap with my maximum bids ) WOuld love to hear your thoughts on it when you have had a chance to put it through it's paces. Have you seen the presentations on the T C Helicon website? From what I could gather the addon card seemed very expensive for what it purported to do.
One of the mags over here in the UK did an indepth review of the Voice prism plus. I think I still have it somewhere so if you are interested I will root it out and scan it for you? Just let me know. From what I remember they loved the voice prism, saying it was the best vocal harmony product on the market. However they said that the difference in price between that and the plus was not justified as the technology was not quite ready to meet expectation!
ttfn
Tony

#193184 - 02/05/02 07:00 PM Re: TC Helicon - any users out there?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Uncle Dave. From the demo I heard (at NAMM) the Voice Prism sounds great and slightly better sounding (to my ears) than the Digitech Vocalist Workstation EX. I would definitely consider this piece for studio work, but not to haul to the gig. The Voice prism was designed to be rack mounted so accessability from the keyboard (while performing) could prove awkward at best. I found the control knobs too tiny to access on the fly while performing live. - Scott

#193185 - 02/05/02 07:48 PM Re: TC Helicon - any users out there?
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
The Voice prism was designed to be rack

Rack mounted is the only way I'd consider it.
I have a 3 space bag that hangs verticly under the front arms of an "X" stand.(IQ2000)
so the controls, as well as my mixer knobs are all right at my fingertips. (Literally!)
It's easier to make changes to the mixer than it is to some parts of the keyboard.

Over the many years that I have been using a harmonizer, I've found a few "pet" settings, and I stray very little from those few patches. I prefer to think of my act as a "vocal group", so I don't want too many different voice groups showing up. I DO like when Barry White sits in for a number ot two, and the 4 Freshman are ALWAYS welcome.

I haven't messed too much with it yet, because I'm still taking advantage of the 5 minute setup without a rack or outboard gear - but in another few weeks, after the busy season kicks in again - I'll be using the larger setup more often.

Right now, I'm concentrating on a CD progect that I'm recording for a WWII act. The music is great, and the singer is soooo much fun to watch. By Saint Paddy's day, I'm sure thiongs will be hummin' again. I like these "normal" times - gives me a chance to rest my throat and putter around in my studio. When I retire - I'm going to spend ALL my time in here !

#193186 - 02/05/02 07:58 PM Re: TC Helicon - any users out there?
Dnj Offline

Did He Say.... R-E-T-I-R-E ? :>)

#193187 - 02/06/02 06:46 AM Re: TC Helicon - any users out there?
Uncle Dave Offline

Yeah ..... THAT'LL happen. 3 wedding to pay for ? 3 more colleges to deal with ? Sure, I'll retire. I may go nuts, but I'll keep working just to get out of this "hen-house" !

#193188 - 02/06/02 07:10 AM Re: TC Helicon - any users out there?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Dave, Do you have visions of Carolyn and thongs or did you just misspelled things..

#193189 - 02/06/02 10:17 AM Re: TC Helicon - any users out there?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Retire - the act of getting tired all over again.

Tom

#193190 - 02/06/02 11:17 AM Re: TC Helicon - any users out there?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Like those Goodyear 're-treads' )

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online