SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#193014 - 01/22/02 12:21 PM Gem users! WK8, WK4, etc..
BossX Offline

Loc: Chitown, USA
Hello, fellow GEM users. No, this is NOT a GEnesis report... there are plenty of them right now. We GEMites may be the only support we've got, or it seems like that.

I just bought an Equinox 76. I bought it on faith (none to demo that I could find so I went on user comments and other info I could acquire)... and for all it's features which include... you know... the large sequencer, preset and user grooves, multi-format sample loading, SMF playback, Arpeggiator and more... It's not an arranger but it's grooves feature make it more than just a synth too.
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/may99/articles/gemequin.htm

I'll use it as my basic studio controller... all for a whopping $695 delivered.

I'd have paid a little more than half of that just for a basic controller with no sounds or features really so I saw it as a bargain. Soon I'll start looking for a real arranger..
BUT...

I can't find out anything about upgrades.. (like the 8mb Battery Backed memory [supposed to be packed with tunes and this's and that's],
The SCSI kit, Hardrive kit

I don't like the piano's or really any of the "real" instrument sounds. I do like some of the organs and E-piano's. A virtual cornucopia of pads and airy sounding synthy things. I'm sure that I'll need to tweek for better piano's and this keyboard has a LOT of tweeking features.
However... I think I will be utilizing the organ drawbars, slow and fast "leslie" and organ patches and tweeking for many nice sounding organs. It seems to be geared more for this.

I need a little info from you experienced users.

The GEM site has a dead link for downloading the updateed OS.
I have the file .. Equinox.lz3 .. for the OS now that came with it...
Is this the current OS??
Someone from Gem attatched a file to an email called Equinox.lz5 but this caused a warning and aborted the OS update...

It seems the real value will be the loading of new samples and sounds.
For this the hard drive and/or SCSI port would really come in handy.

I'm new to this GeneralMusic world.
Can anyone point me in a good direction or input some germane advice?
For instance can I substitute a generic or 3rd party harddrive or scsi kit in this Equinox??
Where would I find the upgrades at all??
Is there a place where I can DL some user made grooves and samples and other such things, support like other keyboards have?
I understand that it will load WK8/WK4 sounds or patches or something too!
I thank you in advance 'cause I know you're gonna help. Cheers

[This message has been edited by BossX (edited 01-23-2002).]

#193015 - 01/22/02 12:39 PM Re: Gem users! WK8, WK4, etc..
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Hi BossX. For Generalmusic tech support try here.

USA Generalmusic Corp. 1164
Tower Lane 60106 Bensenville Illinois USA Tel: 1 (800) 323-0280

I'm not sure on a location for downloading samples and such for the Equinox, sorry.

#193016 - 01/22/02 08:23 PM Re: Gem users! WK8, WK4, etc..
BossX Offline

Thanks so much for the answer. I'll try calling them. What do the rest of you WK8/WK4 owners do for extra's. Hey George and SK880User,... anything?

#193017 - 01/22/02 08:49 PM Re: Gem users! WK8, WK4, etc..
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
When the Equinox first came out I tried one in the store but I was very dissapointed. I didn't like any of the acoustic instrument sounds and although the B3 sound was good, I hated the small screen and so I returned this keyboard to the company and I've never bought one since. Peavey had no success with selling this board and now the distribution has returned to Generalmusic in Chicago. Sorry I have no positive comments on this board. As most readers know by now this was not made to be an arranger but rather a workstation keyboard with a 16 track sequencer for recording songs and using live as a synth keyboard.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#193018 - 01/23/02 11:53 AM Re: Gem users! WK8, WK4, etc..
ComposerRyan Offline

Hi BossX, it sounds like you got a good deal with the Equinox76 keyboard! That is some great news, you are very fortunate to get it for that cheap!

Sorry I cannot be of more help, but may I ask you a simple question regarding your purchase?

1) Where did you buy the Equinox76 keyboard at? Can you give me some info on this, because I have been researching keyboards for a while now and I need a keyboard since I do not own a keyboard, so any information on this would be greatly appreciated!

Still, I am amazed that you purchased that keyboard for that cheap! Again, if you can find any informatin regarding the price of that Equinox and where you got it, I would REALLY appreciate it! General Music's keyboards have always impressed me a lot, since they are packed with so many features! And, if you know of any other good deals, please let me know.

Also, by the way, you should post under the General Music forum here at SynthZone. Chris Anthony goes to that forum frequently and he actually works for General Music, so I am sure that he can answer your questions! I think that is so cool that General Music actually helps people on the General Music forum...you can go check out the forum at: http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdi...=100&LastLogin=

Good luck with your new Equinox76! Hopefully you find the answers that you are looking for. See you around and have a nice day,
Ryan

ALSO, PLEASE BE SURE TO VISIT THE WEBQUAD NETWORK AT:
http://www.webquad.com

CONTACT ME AT:
composerryan@webquad.com

#193019 - 01/24/02 12:15 AM Re: Gem users! WK8, WK4, etc..
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Here is what I think:

Equinox is good if you want a dedicated synth. The question is, are you that kind of person who spends days to make a new sound? or hours to tweek one preset?

That is the most important use. After the introduction of software sequencers, the only workstation that makes sense in my opinion is the one that offers integrated arrangers with the sequencer. Why? Because if you want to sequence a song from scratch, i.e. without any use of auto-accompaniment, why bother use the hardware sequencer? The software sequencer is more powerful and easier.

So gone are the days of full workstation keyboards that are not arranger. So if the keyboard is not arranger, you buy it for one of the two reasons: DEDICATED synth, or great real sounds. You buy the Equinox for the dedicated synth. This is also applicable to Korg Triton. Roland XV series, however, features excellent real sounds in addition to synth. Roland folks know better so they did not include a sequencer on the keyboard.

The 8meg backed-ram upgrade is a must and is available. The SCSI upgrade is good only if you use exteranl scsi devices.

#193020 - 01/24/02 04:20 AM Re: Gem users! WK8, WK4, etc..
BossX Offline

Composer_Ryan, I bought it at www.8thstreet.com Idon't know if they have any left at this price. That price is one thing but it came with free shipping too!
Sk880user.. you mentioned the 8mb backed-ram.
Ifound only one place in the WORLD that had it and at $144. Is that a fair price? Do you know anywhere else to find it so I can compare?
George... thanks for your input and I guess you used the "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything" attitude in your answer. You being a store owner I thought you'd have something to add about the upgrades really. (like a competitive price)
I CAN still send this back it's only been a few days since it was delivered. I feel inclined to keep it and work with it.
As a workstation, and at this price, and considering it's potential for expansion, and all the features it's packed with I'd probably have to spend triple to replace it with something relatively comparable. I'll still get an arranger but now hopefully I'll have both a workstation for the studio and an arranger for stage for the price of the ONE keyboard I thought I wanted (and maybe still do) when I first came to this forum. [Korg PA80]
Peace Brothers and Sisters

#193021 - 01/24/02 04:28 AM Re: Gem users! WK8, WK4, etc..
BossX Offline

P.S. Ryan, I did go to the GeneralMusic forum and posted something I think some WK4/8 users might need and/or like. One member there, Joost, did his best to help me. I THINK I did find the correct OS I was looking for but would REALLY like some confirmation from someone before I start to load it. One thing, I have noticed that this "General Arranger Forum" is more robust than practically all the other forums combined!

#193022 - 01/24/02 04:31 AM Re: Gem users! WK8, WK4, etc..
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
If it is the only place in the world, yes.

But otherwise, you might be able to get it cheaper.

#193023 - 01/25/02 04:59 PM Re: Gem users! WK8, WK4, etc..
ComposerRyan Offline

Thanks a lot BossX for that URL! I immediately checked out 8thstreet and was amazed when I found the Equinox for that cheap! WOW!

However, I still do not have that kind of money...but hopefully I will someday. I'll just have to be patient, but thank you anyway...that is a big help!

See you around on the forum,
Ryan

ALSO, PLEASE BE SURE TO VISIT THE WEBQUAD NETWORK AT:
http://www.webquad.com

CONTACT ME AT:
composerryan@webquad.com

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online