SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#192861 - 09/19/04 07:06 AM Re: Need cheap recs for sound system, mixer, etc for small gatherings
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Han,

I sincerely believe that any, high-quality mixer that has individual EQs on each channel, will do the job--including the vocals.

I would, however, suggest that you purchase the equipment at a location that permits full refunds for returns within a prescribed time. Therefore, it the mixer, or the Z-2200 does not seem up to the challenge, pack them up and take them back to the place where they were purchased.

Personally, I sincerely believe that the Z-2200 will be more than sufficient for what you intend to do. Using a huge sound system in a small, 600-square-foot room is overkill. You would have to run it at low levels, which is not conducive to obtaining the system's peak performance level. Most sound systems perform best when operated at 50 to 65 percent volume levels. At 300 watts RMS, the Z-2200 would be pumping out a lot of sound, even in a room of this size with up to 60 guests.

If you purchase the Z-2200, I would suggest placeing the satellite speakers at a level of 6 feet or higher. This would put them above the head level of the average person and distribute the sound throughout the room.

I'm still trying to figure out how you are gonna' pack 60 people into a 600 square foot room. Hope they're all good friends!

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#192862 - 09/19/04 11:29 PM Re: Need cheap recs for sound system, mixer, etc for small gatherings
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
stay away from custom and those pzo horn cabs.
these are resonable.price/performance ratio for under 500$.
http://www.carvin.com/products/group.php?CID=SYS1

and again all those have more 10-15% off(on sale).

#192863 - 09/20/04 12:05 PM Re: Need cheap recs for sound system, mixer, etc for small gatherings
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
UD and Trtjazz/others,

Why won't the mixer and Z2200 speakers work ?

The room is not that big I think. Will the sound be muddled because of too many instruments and mics, etc ?

thks

#192864 - 09/20/04 01:40 PM Re: Need cheap recs for sound system, mixer, etc for small gatherings
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The concern is headroom. That's how much power is available after the signal is sent to the amp. Lets say you start out with 200 watts. The bass and drums are pretty demanding and the first note you play "asks" the amp for 50watts of power ... the headroom is now 150 watts.
One strong singer could easily use up that 150 with a strong lead vocal, and you have 4 other singers !! PLUS - kb, bass etc !!

If you play very quietly and don;t use the bass and drums too loud, then you MIGHT get away with a home system like that 2200, but if the 5 singers were Me, Dnj, Don Mason, Rich Childs and Terry Connely ...... that system would run home to Momma ... cryin all the way !

It's all about moderation, so if you put a reasonably quiet signal INTO it, you MIGHT get a pretty good (although moderatly amplified) sound. As soon as you push it .... those tiny tweeters will self destruct. You may have better success running a mixer directly into the kb fisrt and use the compresssor. Then run the kb into the 2200s alone.

Try it ...... if you blow them up .... it's only $100 bucks, and the woofer will most likely be unaffected, so you can still use that with the kb for extended bass response.

My warning:

Don't do it.

Your decision:

????????

#192865 - 09/20/04 02:11 PM Re: Need cheap recs for sound system, mixer, etc for small gatherings
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
600/60 = 10 sq. ft. per person or 3.1 ft. square per person. Assuming no furniture or band equipment. With keyboards, wires for microphones, amps, music stands in the room?? I agree with Gary. A 600 ft living room is fairly big IMO, but still won't fit 60 people with equipment.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 09-20-2004).]

#192866 - 09/20/04 02:35 PM Re: Need cheap recs for sound system, mixer, etc for small gatherings
TresorTX Offline

Loc: Dallas, Boston, Orlando
The YAMAHA Powered Mixer looks great but does not have stereo capabilities right? How much would be lost in sound quality if not using stereo amplifiers? Is there a recommendation for similar equipment that supports stereo?

PS: Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm very new to all this and trying to learn as I go along. Thx, Russ

PSR S900
Korg PA1XPRO
Kurzweil PC3X
Logitech Z

#192867 - 09/20/04 03:38 PM Re: Need cheap recs for sound system, mixer, etc for small gatherings
lukitoh Offline

Help me understand this since I am not knowledgable on this subject:

So, the input voices and instruments, if they are loud enough can overpower the 200 w Logitech. Can't we adjust the mixer settings to prevent this ? The Behringer mixer is NOT a powered mixer. So, I am a bit perplexed at the moment.

UD: you're saying that if I connect the output (mono?) of the mixer to the "line in" (same line as mic line) and flip the switch to "IN" position on my PSR2000, I can make this work ? Use the compressor setting on the mic setting menu buttons ??
I thought 200 watts is loud enough but I guess what you're saying is if I use up 50 watts on the kybd, 50 watts x4 singers for the voice = 250 watts total , I will run out of headroom. Right ?

Starkeeper/Gary: I guess I just have to reduce the number of invited guests. I did have 70 people before and they were spread out to the family room nearby and even to the backyard. We probably have to do major rearrangements to accomodate these number of people. If it continues like this for several times then I will just have to rent a community center nearby or workout a deal with a nearby church. For now, they have to fit in somehow.

#192868 - 09/20/04 04:00 PM Re: Need cheap recs for sound system, mixer, etc for small gatherings
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Han,

The only way you can blow out a speaker is to turn the volume up too loud. The signal coming out of the mixer is usually not sufficient to do this unless it's a powered mixer and you're using the speaker out instead of the line out. The line out is a constant level, therefore the signal going into the amplifier remains constant and the amplifier's volume control then controls how much signal is sent to the speakers--not the mixer. Give it a try, start out at low levels and if the volume level is insufficient for the crowd, take the Z-2200 back for a refund and go for something larger.

BTW: I had a country band over a few nights ago, we hooked up the Z-2200 to my Peavey mixer, and into the Peavey were two guitars, three mics and my PSR-2000. The room measures 36 X 28 feet, which is just over 1000 square feet. The gain on the Z-2200 was up half way and it was more than enough. Keep in mind, however, that there were only 8 people in the room, and most of us were playing and singing, therefore, we didn't have to contend with crowd noise. I don't know how much more volume I would have needed to deal with 60 or more folks if they were talking at higher than normal levels, which tends to be the case at some venues.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#192869 - 09/20/04 05:43 PM Re: Need cheap recs for sound system, mixer, etc for small gatherings
lukitoh Offline

Gary, looks like it matches up nicely with my situation.

#192870 - 09/20/04 05:50 PM Re: Need cheap recs for sound system, mixer, etc for small gatherings
lukitoh Offline

Gary/others:

Will the Behringer unpowered mixer (something like $90 which is ok with me) mentioned above by the nice gentleman be a good choice then ? What model of Peavy and others you recommend ?

thks

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online