SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#19248 - 12/21/01 03:08 PM troubling midi/audio problem
deeluxe Offline

Loc: toronto
hi,

I have a very strange problem that has stumped just about everyone I know. It's time to try here on the internet.

I have a small setup here, which includes:
AKAI s3000XL sampler
Korg Prophecy synth
yamaha dS2416 mixer
p450 384RAM running VST 5r6.

Everything is plugged into a midiman midisport 2x2, and into inputs on the mixer

Here is my problem. Through hours and hours of troubleshooting, I have determined that whenever my synth sends or recieves midi data, there is a quiet, but audible hissing sound that appears in the audio. I can see the hissing noise on the synths mixer channel coming in at about -66dB. If I unplug all the midi cables from the prophecy the noise disappears. The offending noise seems to be independant of the syths volume control. Even when I turn the volume all the way down on the synth itself, the noise retains the same level. If I mute the track on the mixer, the noise disappears. It is especially annoying when trying to record midi to audio, whenever I move the pitch controller, or a controller knob the hiss presents itself. I can even hear a hiss when the midi clock ticks!

My sampler, which is also on the midi network, does not experience the same noise problem.

Is my synth screwed? Is there something I am missing here?

I hope someone might have experienced this before, and will know how to fix it.

Dee

Never send a man to do a machines job.

------------------
Never send a man to do a machines job.

#19249 - 12/22/01 06:38 AM Re: troubling midi/audio problem
xavier Offline

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Indeed it looks strange; it seems MIDI signals interfer on the audio cables

You can try turnaround by:
- separate MIDI and audio cables (and avoid power cables)
- try to have well isolated audio cables
- check all your gear is correctly electrically grounded.

Regards,
Xavier

Alchemist - the Korg Trinity to Triton PCG and SNG converter - http://alchemist.sourceforge.net

#19250 - 12/22/01 08:04 AM Re: troubling midi/audio problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello there.

It sounds to me as if something in your chain (most likely the PC itself, or perhaps the sound card) is putting out some nasty RF noise during MIDI data transfers which is being picked up somewhere in your audio - your job is to isolate the piece of equipment that is picking up the noise (by process of elimination).

It's already been suggested that you isolate all your audio connections, and try to seperate your MIDI cables from your audio cables.

I would suggest taking it one step further - power down each piece of equipment, one by one, and test until you no longer hear the hiss. That will help you determine which pieces of equipment are both causing and/or receiving the "hiss."

Regards,

SG.

[This message has been edited by sgosh (edited 12-22-2001).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online