SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#192456 - 03/05/02 05:40 PM Frustrated - When will my PSR 2k come back
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Well, it has been 3 and a half weeks already and my new 2000 remains at the repair shop awaiting repair on the disc drive. When I brought it in, I was told it might take as long as 3 weeks. Now I'm being told up to another 3 weeks. I am beside myself. I have shows coming up and no vocal harmonizer. I have a singer with me too, and I can sing a little harmony myself, so it isn't absolutely critical for me to have one, but it is a nice touch and would save the crowd from hearing my voice all night. The store lent me their PSR1000 display model as a replacement, but there is no vocal harmonizer in a 1000, and I never bothered geting the one for the PA80 because I had heard that it wasn't up to par with the one on the 2000. I was told by the keyboard mangaer today that if I pay 35 dollars that my 2000 could be bumped up on the priority list. It's not that I can't afford 35 dollars, but there is a principle here. Besides, what the hell does " bumped up on the priority list " mean anyway ? Would I get it back by Friday?. The store rep can't answer that question accurately. What a way to do business....I had the board exactly 86 days when the disc drive when kaput. At any rate, I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.

Korg AJ

#192457 - 03/05/02 06:54 PM Re: Frustrated - When will my PSR 2k come back
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello Korg AJ ,
I want you to know that if that was a keyboard that I had sold you ...........
I would have replaced it !
No questions asked .
That is one thing that I like about working for Guitar Center . I very good return policy , even past 30 days ! dano

#192458 - 03/05/02 07:28 PM Re: Frustrated - When will my PSR 2k come back
Bluezplayer Offline

Thanks Dan for the reply, but I try to buy locally where I play and try the boards out. I have spent many hours at Alto music demoing different equipment. Still, I might have to rethink that philosophy because although they gave me what they have to use ( they say don't have any 2000s in stock and there weren't any on display ), less than 4 months after after spending my hard earned money I am basically caught between a rock and a hard place here. None of this of course helps me out NOW when I NEED my board, but it certainly gives me something to think about for future purchases. I am aggravated because of the turn over time for this repair. The last time I sent a Yamaha product out for repair ( when I had my 740 ), I waited 11 weeks for it to be returned to me. I doubt that most other businesses could survive like that. I know for me, when I had my home improvement business, I wouldn't DARE tell a customer that had just paid me for a service that they'd have to wait six weeks for me to return to replace a defective product or installation. It wouldn't fly at all. Fortunately, I rarely ever had any situations like that.

You and I spoke about why I don't order from my local Guitar Center Dan. They couldn't deliver a soundcard to me because of my address of all things. How dumb is that? I live in a very rural area where it is virtually impossible to get local mail delivery. It's a long story involving some incredibly ridiculous red tape, ( Rural carriers in this area will not deliver if they can't reach the mailbox from a vehicle ..I think I'd have a court case but that's for another forum ). UPS will deliver right to my door however. At any rate, I must pick up my regular mail at my PO box. I have to include my PO box as part of my address for all of my mail. When I tried to order, I expalined the whole thing to the guy at Guitar Center. He insisted that UPS doesn't deliver to PO boxes ( no kidding .. ). we went round and round. I told him that I HAVE to use the PO box for credit card purposes but that they could omit it from the UPS package. He quoted me GC policy that states that the UPS addy and the credit card addy have to match exactly, and he stated that they could not send me the item any other way. Finally a manager interviened and said he'd take care of it and would ship the item. A week went by... then a few more days. I called to find out what happened. They never shipped the thing, so on my next trip to NY city I stopped at Sam Ash and purchased my soundcard.... By the way, Sam Ash took my MZ2000 back after 3 months for almost full value when I got my PA80 from them.

No other company has ever given me a hard time delivering anything to me because of the aformentioned problem ( I've had PLENTY of things delivered here by UPS before )

The bottom line here is I NEED my 2000 by Saturday and I'm not sure of any action I can take right now that can put one in my hands by then, short of buying another one ( which ain't happening )

Korg AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 03-05-2002).]

#192459 - 03/05/02 07:50 PM Re: Frustrated - When will my PSR 2k come back
Mosiqaar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
I feel your pain bluesplayer! I hate it when I get stuck in such situations where I am helpess. I hope you get your keyboard back soon. By the way, who is it you are dealing with so that me may learn. Also are you the same Ketron AJ?

Thanks

#192460 - 03/05/02 07:55 PM Re: Frustrated - When will my PSR 2k come back
Bluezplayer Offline

Hi Mosiqaar.

Nope, I'm "Korg" AJ. the reason I use the moniker "Korg" is so folks don't confuse me with "Ketron AJ "..lol

At any rate, Alto Music sent it to a repair place in NJ. I don't have the name here at my desk at the moment, but both places will certainly be getting calls from me until this is resolved.

"Korg" AJ

#192461 - 03/05/02 08:31 PM Re: Frustrated - When will my PSR 2k come back
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Korg AJ,
As a music store owner let me tell you how this should be handled. When a customer has a problem with a keyboard and it's relatively new, I have the authority by Yamaha to replace the keyboard. If the keyboard has been brought to a authorized service center and it is not fixed in a reasonable amount of time, I would tell my customer to call me up and get me involved in the process. I would then call Yamaha service in Buena Park and talk to the head of service who would aolmost always ask for the keyboard to be returned to them. Yamaha then will issue me a call tag to pick it up from my store and it goes back to Yamaha for a credit to my account. An advanced replacement will go out to me to give it to my customer if I haven't already given him a new one from my stock. Before a customer gets frustrated, I always want to be involved. Yamaha service is really reasonable to deal with in situations where parts are taking to long or sometimes, the service provider is just so backed up that they haven't really even gotton to the keyboard at all.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda. California
(Retired 2021)

#192462 - 03/05/02 08:45 PM Re: Frustrated - When will my PSR 2k come back
Bluezplayer Offline

Thanks George. Now THAT is something to hang my hat on. The only thing that prevented me from ordering a major item like a keyboard from you in the first place is the geographical distance and the potential of having to ship something back out to get it repaired, but in retrospect, you probably could have handled it and gotten it done faster than the process I'm involved in now. Having seen what is happening in this particular situation, I doubt that I'm going to get this kind of service from the store I'm dealing with now. I wish you'd open a Kaye's Music scene here in the Northeast though George...( maybe I could help run it for ya...LOL )

In all fairness to you Dan, I did order something from you last year and it arrived here with no trouble. I have nothing against GC at all, but the policy I mentioned in an earlier post makes it impossible for me to deal with at least the "local" one ( local as in 90 miles away ).

Korg AJ

#192463 - 03/05/02 09:11 PM Re: Frustrated - When will my PSR 2k come back
Mosiqaar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
Thanks for the clarification Bluez...

Good luck with your problem, and honestly I feel with you...I would hate for this to happen to me (similar things have...and I hated it).

Once again good luck

#192464 - 03/05/02 09:16 PM Re: Frustrated - When will my PSR 2k come back
mbl Offline

Loc: el paso tx
Bluezplayer,

For $20.00 you can buy a floppy drive at a computer store. When I was fooled by the 740 messages of 'bad disk' etc, I did install one rather quickly.

That false priority list's true name is greed.

mbl

#192465 - 03/05/02 09:45 PM Re: Frustrated - When will my PSR 2k come back
Beakybird Offline

What a drag Bluezplayer.

Well, that's interesting to know that a regular floppy drive will fit into the PSR740's bay. Then it would fit into the PSR2000's bay. That's good to know in case lightning strikes twice.

Why don't you ask your music store to get involved in this problem the way our proactive friend George Kaye would get involved? They might not be able to pull as many strings as George, but maybe they can make something happen.

I own two PSR2000s, since this is my gigging instrument of choice, I want to be protected if one goes bad. One stays in the trunk of my car and the other stays hooked up to my computer for recording and practice.

Of course I don't have the luxury of owning a PA80 like you do Bluezplayer. But for those who can afford two of the same keyboard, I recommend it if you use that keyboard heavily for gigging.

I have a friend who would keep an extra keyboard in his SUV in case one doesn't work at a gig. He has two of everything right there in his vehicle, and he never has to really worry about anything going wrong. I don't have that luxury of space with a Hyundai Sonata. But it's always good to have a backup, even at home.

I guess the PSR1000 is better than nothing, but doesn't quite cut it.

All I can say is, I hope you get that keyboard soon. I had a PSR740 in the shop for 7 weeks. It's frustrating.

The $35 for priority is not as bad as it looks in my opinion. I spoke with a Yamaha authorized repairman, who charges on top of the free warranty work, but does the work immediately. I can't remember how much he told me that Yamaha pays their service reps, but the price I was told was ridiculously low.

With airlines you get first class service and less lines when you buy a first class ticket. I guess this electronic repair place is using the same philosophy, which while unabashedly capitalistic, has some merit.

Best of luck,

Larry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online