SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#192040 - 02/20/06 03:27 AM Re: Shmaltz.....is there such a word?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally posted by Cgiles
Quote:
You may also squeak by if your professional musical ambitions don't extend beyond the local nursing home or perhaps the coffee shop next door to one.

Well, it's Monday morning so you didn't ruin my Sunday or Monday morning for that matter.

Here's my 2 cents:
Back in the mid 70s when I was an aspiring piano student it became very apparent I would be better suited to enter the business school at the University of Rhode Island than try to become a struggling musician playing "Classical Music" For most of my adult years I simply played my grand piano at home. Spending much of time playing things like the Pathetique Sontata (Bethoveen), The Revoltionary Etude( Chopin). Allegro Barbaro (Bartok). Pictures at an Exhibition (Mussorsky). Also had some fun playing some of the Emerson, Lake and Palmer stuff. Fun yes it was to me but much of that didn't appeal to many others. BTW, I swore I'd never play a song like " Tie the Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree" and other "Schmalz" That music was for others, not for me.

Fast forward to 1998 when my wife bought as a novelty a Casio $149.99 keyboard. I laughed at this toy but also discovered it could make lots of music. That summer I brought it along to a 4th of July party and everyone who heard it loved it. Later that year I bought another Casio Wk1300( I think that was the model). Then in 2000 I bought a Clavinova CVP 107. Wow, I was really having fun, even started to play "Tie A Yellow Ribbon." When friends and family heard me play some comments were, why aren't you playing out every weekend, you sound real good. The answer use to be I have my daytime job and I'd rather have weekends off than to tie them up playing music. At the time my wife and I'd would rather be alpine skiing, training for a road race, triathlon or relaxing on the beach depending on the season.

In late 2004, I got tired of just playing at home for my wife and the dog.Eventually I bought a PSR 3000. I started marketing myself to nursing homes, coffee shops anywhere that would hire me. And I have played one coffee shop for tips only to gain a little experience and have some fun. Because much of playing music is for fun not a command performance for the King or Queen. I'm
averaging about 4 gigs per month now( enough for me when my average work week is 50 hours) . And my business is building, getting lots of repeat business and new as well. Maybe musical instrument manufacturers should just stop making these silly keyboards and keep me back at home on weekends where my wife thinks I belong anyway.

#192041 - 02/20/06 08:50 AM Re: Shmaltz.....is there such a word?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
. . . anyone who is satisfied with the current state of on-board styles in the Tyros2 truly deserves the status of "home user". You may also squeak by if your professional musical ambitions don't extend beyond the local nursing home or perhaps the coffee shop next door to one.

. . . someone else in a prior thread also noted that the level of musicianship, talent, and professionalism, was considerably lower on this (arranger) board than say on a comparable "workstation" board. Whether or not we want to believe it, that person was also correct.

. . . take those darn built-in microphones off the arrangers, it tempts to many awful singers to try it.

Chas, though I respect your personal opinion, I disagree.

Also, considering the fact that I'm one of the few pro musician-vocalists here utilizing a "Tyros2", and who has recently contributed my songs here as well, wondering if perhaps you had been referring to ME?!

Yeah, I perform at nursing & senior venues too (btw: I agree with DonM that these gigs are often most personally gratifying), but my gig work is 'far from' limited to just that. Tyros2 'styles & sounds', in the right hands (no 'schlager' here), can sound top-notch pro. My gig venues also include commercial restaurant/bar establishments as well as exclusive private & corporate parties, in which local dignitaries & celebs frequent, and the music (+ vocals) I provide on Tyros2 continue to satisify my most discriminating clients (of which are often pro musicians too), evidenced by repeat business & generous tips.

Chas: The best of luck to you in finding the (arranger?) keyboard you're really looking for.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-20-2006).]

#192042 - 02/20/06 10:34 AM Re: Shmaltz.....is there such a word?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Eric,

Well said my friend. I do have to disagree with you on one thing. I think at least 95 percent of the audience doesn't know the difference anyway and doesn't care. You give them too much credit.

Tom

Tom

#192043 - 02/20/06 01:34 PM Re: Shmaltz.....is there such a word?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Scott, not every "lousy singer" reference is directed at you......I don't think. Whoa, whoa, just pulling your chain . First off, most of the time much of what I say is tongue-in-cheek. I alluded to as much in my follow-up post. For some of our members for whom English is a second language, the subtleties of American bullshit may escape them so to those members let me assure you that I am not advocating actually removing the microphone from the keyboard. Besides, lousy singers have a way of finding a mic even if you put it at the top of a tree. As for my finding an arranger that I like, that is a minor goal; finding STYLES that I like is the challenge for me. So again, it's not the Tyros2 that I don't like, it's those syrupy-sweet styles that bring on the nausea. In the end though, not having to listen to the guitar player constantly tuning or having to subsidize the drummers rent, makes any ol' arranger awfully appealing. Oh, and about those nursing homes, I may very well end up in one sooner that I'd like, but please, if you run across me in the audience, no Schlager...please, please.

chas

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online