SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#191944 - 08/07/06 09:30 AM Re: For Sale or Trade... Roland G70
montana Offline

Loc: red lodge,mt,usa
How come you are selling it so cheap. It goes for $3400.00 on line?

#191945 - 08/07/06 11:10 AM Re: For Sale or Trade... Roland G70
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Montana, welcome to our "family" btw. I got snowed in in Wolf Point one time.
There's seldom a need to pay list price, or even MAP for a new keyboard (or any other product for that matter.) Hang around, the city boys will teach you to negotiate!
DonM

#191946 - 08/07/06 12:52 PM Re: For Sale or Trade... Roland G70
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
After all the furor Donny helped create when he first moved from Tyros2 to the G70, now this abrupt turnaround.........

I am not going to disagree with Donny's decision, each and everyone of us needs to find out what works best for us, this is his choice and I will respect it.

BUT............ anyone who is looking to this guy for advice probably needs to consider what an indecisive, see-saw mind he seems to have. Everything he buys is the best thing since sliced bread (and he'll defend his decision to the death!) and a few weeks or months later, the thrill is gone.

Perhaps Donny's finances are in a position to absorb a $1000 loss in a couple of weeks, but I have a feeling that most of our members here don't have that luxury. Having already come from the Tyros2, and possibly heading back there minus a huge chunk of cash, his 'instant gratification' quest appears to be futile.

Who knows, perhaps he'll one day come to the realization that NONE of these keyboards ever come out of the box completely perfect, every one of us have different tastes and needs, and they all take work (and some compromise) to approach what we are looking for. Especially the work part........

In the meantime, whatever Donny gets next and starts gushing about, take it with a grain of salt.........!

#191947 - 08/07/06 01:15 PM Re: For Sale or Trade... Roland G70
Dnj Offline

My thoughts are my own, & dont expect anyone else to understand my actions, nor do I care, I also don't appreciate some of the BS comments either ..I've learned to avoid posting many things since the last foray on the SZ. What I do, buy or how I do it is my business, if you want to discuss somthing honestly, or need help with something I'll try to help you in a decent manner just email me. Thats what it has come down to on here.IM dissapointed with many old time friends ......but thats life.
Here's a post I read & that I added some things to regarding the G70....it was so spot on & I just added a few of MY thoughts to it also pro/con. >>>>>>

"The sound is too "gritty", the bass is not defined but boomy and annoying, many samples are not fine-tuned (some even sound like they are not in tune!) The balance between styles and lead-sounds are completely off, the one-touch settings is a joke. I need much more in the overall sound department to perform.
Most 95 percent of the suggested settings in Music Assist is of little or no help, as the programmers apparently were tone-deaf or in a hurry.
Granted, a lot of these settings can be adjusted to taste, but even after programming for many hours I was not able to find anything truly satisfying. I never once had a WOW-feeling. And believe me, I REALLY wanted it to, the good parts are, in my opinion:
Great keys, great feel - the unit is solid as a rock. The new touch-screen and navigating system work like a charm, very easy for G-1000/VA-7/76 users to find your way and the data storage facility and USB-port work great. Makeup/Cover tools are very powerful, Sequencer works terrific, as do so many navigational features in live performance that no other Kb has.But almost every SMf I had had to be tweaked & redone OUCH!
However, my audience could care less about keys and operating system. They want good sounds and a solid performance & here lies the problem for my style of playing.
I'm sad to say; that I don't think the G-70 can deliver for me. At least not without a lot more patience, time and struggle that I'm not willing to put in with my busy gig schedule. In a studio setting it would be a different story.. Believe me, I really, really wanted this G70 keyboard to be my next partner for the years to come. But its not meant to be "

Thank You for all the emails

Dnj

#191948 - 08/07/06 01:18 PM Re: For Sale or Trade... Roland G70
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
anyone who is looking to this guy for advice probably needs to consider what an indecisive, see-saw mind he seems to have. Everything he buys is the best thing since sliced bread (and he'll defend his decision to the death!) and a few weeks or months later, the thrill is gone.!

Nothing NEW here.

1. Yamaha Tyros1
2. Yamaha PSR3000
3. Ketron Midjay
4. Yamaha Tyros2
5. Roland G70
6. Back to Yamaha (PSR3000, Tyros1, or Tyros2)?!

What next?:

"Round and round she goes, where she stops nobody knows."

#191949 - 08/07/06 01:19 PM Re: For Sale or Trade... Roland G70
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA

#191950 - 08/07/06 01:28 PM Re: For Sale or Trade... Roland G70
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Come on guys give Donny a break, he's had the guts to come back and post onto SZ and if the G70's not for him then so be it, it wasn't for me either and look at the stick I got..... I suppose me and Donny haven't seen eye to eye at times but that's life.
He could have stayed off SZ for good, purchased his new replacement for it and everyone would have thought he was still happy with the G70. At least he's told it like it is, he realises he's going to lose quite a bit of money over it so I hope he gets it right this time and continues to post songs on his new toy.

ahhhhh I've gone all soft, must be the tablets

#191951 - 08/07/06 01:48 PM Re: For Sale or Trade... Roland G70
Diki Offline

As you might have read in my post, Donny, nowhere do I criticize your decision to change. We all need to choose what we want to use without fear of ridicule (I've taken my share for using the G70!).

BUT.......... it appears your primary reason for changing seems to be you don't like the styles and you don't like the sounds (or at least some of them). Yet you went to a store, listened to the sounds, listened to the styles, and bought one!!

If you never once had a WOW! feeling, why purchase it in the first place, and secondly, why all those initial posts saying exactly WOW!

I repeat, I am not criticizing your decision to change, nor do I either care about it, but I was merely pointing out TO OTHERS that care needs to be taken when listening to your posts, given how vacillating you tend to be. The one problem with a point of view on a BBS is that, if you change it often enough, it loses all meaning........

#191952 - 08/07/06 02:02 PM Re: For Sale or Trade... Roland G70
nielshs Offline

Quote:
"The sound is too "gritty", the bass is not defined but boomy and annoying, many samples are not fine-tuned (some even sound like they are not in tune!) The balance between styles and lead-sounds are completely off, the one-touch settings is a joke. I need much more in the overall sound department to perform.

This boomy and annoying bass sound was fixed in OS2 . It will take some tweaking time to get the G-70 sound as you like. If you don’t have the time the T2 is properly the best choice for you.

Regards
Niels

[This message has been edited by nielshs (edited 08-07-2006).]

[This message has been edited by nielshs (edited 08-07-2006).]

#191953 - 08/07/06 02:30 PM Re: For Sale or Trade... Roland G70
Diki Offline

While the boomy and annoying bass post WAS from before the OS2 fixes, Donny's G70 undoubtedly had the latest OS and styles in it........

My first advice to ANYONE listening to a G70 through a system that has a sub-woofer (even little Logitech home units) is...... TURN OFF THE MASTERING TOOLS!

Listen to the G70 without the hype of additional EQ and Multi-Band Compression (which is really a level-dependent EQ if used the way Roland have it programmed). On smaller speakers, without a sub, or through a small-ish mono keyboard amp (what you'll often find them connected to in a store) the Mastering tools go a long way to making the G70 sound 'fuller'.

But hook it up to a decent set of speakers with a sub (especially as few people set up their sub quiet enough - it's supposed to add just a bit more depth to the bass, not shake your bowels loose!) and all that hype just succeeds in exaggerating the low end to the point of boominess.

As with ANY EQ and compression, FIRST get the sound as right as you can without it, and then just add a little to bed it all together. Go to any audio mastering forum, and read the many posts from experienced audio professionals about how dangerous a multi-band compressor can be in the wrong hands. They are a double-edged sword, with the sharp side towards you!

Just remember..... the Mastering Tools setting that makes one style sound full and punchy will probably be the wrong one for a different style, and unfortunately, these setting are global, NOT linked to the style....... Far better to work on the style itself with the Tools off, and then just use the Tools for room adjustment if you play in several different venues. (And I sure wish the G70 allowed you more than ONE user setting for each!)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online