SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#191811 - 03/26/01 06:40 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
re: weak spots. very few. I played a prototype SD-1 at Bell Solton in nyc recetly, and would say that the only area I found lacking was the electric pianos and mallets. the acoustic is great, but none of the electrics had it. rhodes was mushy, as were the mallets. but the heart of the instrument -- the patterns and drum samples -- are really great.

#191812 - 03/26/01 08:29 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Dreamer says "each style has 2 variations" but the SD1, like the X1 has 4 variations per style.
Senior, I've had the SD1 now for over 2 months along side the 9000 pro, and both of these keyboards are great. Sounds are strong on both, features are strong on both, ergonomics goes to Yamaha while the style quality goes to Solton.
I beleive that once you own any of the higher end arranger keyboards and take some time to learn where things are, they become "comfortable" to use.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#191813 - 03/26/01 08:30 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Hey Senior Member,

How did you know? Yeah, Monday mornings are tough . . . and I was a wee bit cranky. Sorry if I over-reacted earlier. I've had tons of coffee and am just now entering my human persona. I suppose the Stevizard handle is a bit flashy - but I'm just a flashy guy (not that I wear a ton of gold like Tom Moon).

Yeah, it's funny but if you check my posts on Monday morning . . . on second thought - don't. Guess I'm more ready to retire than I thought. Problem is, I've got another 13 years until 62 (hurry up old age).

Gosh, I wish I was as old as Uncle Dave! Say Dave, what was it like to dance in front of Benny Goodman's band?

Regards to all,
Steve

#191814 - 03/26/01 10:07 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
George,
after reading your post I realized that I had been incorrect; when I said that the SD1 has two variations I was thinking of the "Basic" and "Advanced" ones, but then I realized that each one has two different sub-variations. So you are correct: overall, there are four variations.
Sorry for having unintentionally misled anyone.

#191815 - 03/26/01 12:07 PM Re: SD 1 Demo
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Steve -
The first time I danced was at my 8th grade graduation party. The news was full of a big rock concert in New York, (somewhere on a Farm named Yasger's), and the radio was full of news about some guy taking "small steps" for mankind....Neil somebody. So, you see "OLD MAN" - I'm just a kid! Now....... go take yer nap before you get cranky. My 8 yr. old is getting off the school bus... I gotta go! Maybe we'll color today

#191816 - 03/26/01 12:36 PM Re: SD 1 Demo
Senior Member Offline

Stevizard,
yes, we all are under pressure most of time...if you think of it, it's frightening how, once you click the "submit reply" button, there's nothing more to do - your words are gone and are there, for the whole world to see...and words can hurt, more than stones, unless you can read what lies behind them...
By the way, thank you all for replying to my question. Here it goes...CLICK.

#191817 - 03/27/01 07:27 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Stevizard Offline

Uncle Dave,

You've got an 8 year old? That's a lot to take on for the grey and aging crowd. My youngest is 16. I love her dearly but I'm looking forward to the day when the birdies have left the nest and its just me and the wife again . . . the gentle life. BTW, what kind of coloring books are you into? Don't tell me you're hitting that second childhood age. I didn't think we did that till we hit the alzheimers-club. (Don't flame me, some of my best friends don't remember who I am.)

Regards,
Steve

#191818 - 03/27/01 07:29 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
Stevizard, you're really winning friends with comments like that "ton of gold" swipe. it's always dangerous to make assumptions, especially about someone else's situation. fact is, you have no idea what I've gone through or am going through now -- financially, spiritually or otherwise. and guess what? it is none of your business. if you knew me you would understand how injurious that kind of comment is. I've read similar diatribes from you before, and I've always felt the same way: We gather here to talk about music. And musical instruments. Not issues of class/socio-economic status/etc. There are other places on the net perfect for that discourse. Please, go find them.

#191819 - 03/27/01 09:43 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Jupiter5 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
I've had the SD1 now for over 2 months along side the 9000 pro, and both of these keyboards are great. Sounds are strong on both, features are strong on both, ergonomics goes to Yamaha while the style quality goes to Solton.

Hi Goerge

As a kn6000 owner, I always assumed that the "Yamaha's"(9000's etc) where quite difficult to use by comparison to the kn6000.

Anyway George, I have had an offer to get a yamaha 9000 pro - and could have one by the end of the week. What I want to know is: is the Yamaha 9000 pro advanced enough to Part exchange my kn6000 for? (my dealer is asking £1000 +my kn6000 now - although i may have to find my own speakers.). I want good Acoustic Piano sounds, and also good string/Cello/Viloin sounds as well, plus the usual ones too. Are the soloist sounds better than the PSR9000? - and is there any advancement over the psr9000 at all in the Pro version? (I understand it has more ROM (48), so does that mean the Pro 9000 has more - and better samples?. Also what speakers would you recommend (cheapo ) to start me off. I only play at home george, so 40 watts or so would be enough but wouldn't want to pay more than £100 ($150-$160)

All in all - is the Yamaha 9000 pro, a good all round keyboard that can be "professional" without any other keyboard connected to it (though i do have a Yamaha A4000 sampler) I am one of these "one keyboard band" types! - and like a excellent set of sounds all in one unit (never taken to modules - despite my purchase of a sampler - which is slow to use, and I don't use it that often now). If the sampler on the Pro 9000 is good, then I may get rid of the Yamaha A4000 sampler, and use that as a sole source for sampling.

regards

Tony

#191820 - 03/27/01 11:55 AM Re: SD 1 Demo
Stevizard Offline

Tom,

It was a joke -- didn't mean to hit a nerve. A diatribe is more than 1 sentence.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online