SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#191488 - 03/01/03 05:59 PM Re: Is anyone making their own custom Styles?
Dnj Offline

Sean,

Very KOOl website with some fantastics musical creations , I love "Big Girls Blouse"

thanx for sharing

#191489 - 03/01/03 07:59 PM Re: Is anyone making their own custom Styles?
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
I would love to be able to make my own stlyes. In fact I would be satisfied to be able to take converted styles and adjust them so they would sound good on my instruments. For example I have the Roland G1000 styles converted to Ketron X1. They don't sound bad but are way out of balance (guitar too loud bass not loud enough etc.) Plus I've got many many converted styles for use in my Yamaha 9000Pro but most are not useable due to the wrong voices sounding or they need volume settings adjusted. I've read the owner's manuals and many posts on this forum and the Yahoo groups. But, so far I can't figure out how to do any of this.

I downloaded the programs "Midi 2 Style, One Man Band, and Style Maker". I cannot begin to understand how to use any of the three. In the instructions they start talking about the CASM. What's that?

I am ready, willing and (I hope) able to do style making and adjusting if I could only find some clear step-by-step instructions. Anyone know of a source for this information?

[This message has been edited by deatonent (edited 03-01-2003).]

#191490 - 03/02/03 12:10 AM Re: Is anyone making their own custom Styles?
KN_Fan Offline

Thanks Don/Blues for your comments.

I should probably be a bit more clear with what I do with Technics composer. Instead of creating your typical 1-2 bar "styles", what I do is record a song (original or not) in chunks. Say..a song is divided into an intro, Verse I, Verse II, and ending. I'd need at least 4 User "pattern" (and I program each to contain anything from 2 bar to 4 or 8 bars each)...and I play the portions of the song real-time. I think Tyros kinda have the same thing (from reading all the posts in this forum), but I don't have the opportunity to try the Tyros here in my area, nobody carries it. PA80's "TOTALLY RE-programmable" 40+ user pattern styles, may have been the answer for me, but I picked the Studio instead cause I was too impressed with the sounds.

Even our fellow Synthzone member, Scott helped me a lot in brainstorming..

At this point I'll have to make the best of my Studio.

KN_Fan

#191491 - 03/02/03 08:54 AM Re: Is anyone making their own custom Styles?
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Quote:
Originally posted by svpworld:
Currently working on some new Tyros styles with Megavoicing, also do a lot of stuff for Yamaha PSR's and so on.. Haven't tried other platforms though but I started style creation on the PSR730 before moving through 740, 9000 and currently Tyros.

Regards
Simon
SVPworld

Hi Simon, any Mariachi styles?, I'm willin gto pay for them.

Thanks!

#191492 - 03/02/03 11:05 AM Re: Is anyone making their own custom Styles?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Here are my $.03 About making styles.

1) the best keyboard for creating styles are General music ones. This is understandable because they have the best sequencers and sequencers and style makers share 70% of the functionality.

2) In order to make a practical and successful style, one must create one with 4 variations, each with its own fillin and at least one awsome intro or ending. (another set of intro and ending will be good)

3) based on 2, it is time consuming because you need to do each single part.

4) Styles are measured sometimes by the ending or the intro... that is what is difficult about it, one requires vast creativity and excellent musical skills

5) creating a style is more difficult than creating a song. There are limits and requires more use of tools such as quantization (which is a must), micro editing, trial and error...

6) Creating a powerful style on General Music keyboards is very easy and very powerful. The tools are there to help you every step of the way

I have a dream (actually two):

a) that we the community of arranger keyboards start producing our own high quality styles that surpass the factory ones and start trading with and helping each other.

b) In order to do that, styles must be standardized like midi songs and when they are standarized, style sequencers software is written to take advantage of this.

#191493 - 03/03/03 07:14 AM Re: Is anyone making their own custom Styles?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by KN_Fan:
Thanks Don/Blues for your comments.

I should probably be a bit more clear with what I do with Technics composer. Instead of creating your typical 1-2 bar "styles", what I do is record a song (original or not) in chunks. Say..a song is divided into an intro, Verse I, Verse II, and ending. I'd need at least 4 User "pattern" (and I program each to contain anything from 2 bar to 4 or 8 bars each)...and I play the portions of the song real-time. I think Tyros kinda have the same thing (from reading all the posts in this forum), but I don't have the opportunity to try the Tyros here in my area, nobody carries it. PA80's "TOTALLY RE-programmable" 40+ user pattern styles, may have been the answer for me, but I picked the Studio instead cause I was too impressed with the sounds.

Even our fellow Synthzone member, Scott helped me a lot in brainstorming..

At this point I'll have to make the best of my Studio.

KN_Fan

KN,

I'm sure you'll do fine with the "Studio". I understand the thought of.. " I want this board for this feature but I'd like feature B from Board B too. Workstations are no different from arrangers, in that each has it's particular strengths and things that they do a little ( or a lot ) better than the next one. Both the Motif and Triton Studio are great choices in my mind. Truth be told, the Fantom has some features and a few sounds that I like a lot too. If I only had the money, I'd have 'em all. Better yet, I wish I could combine the best of the three in one board ( yeah right..lol )

What I lack in features that I want in my particular board is often compensated via software. I think what you described above could be more easily accomplished with the help of software ( that is if you don't object to or have a logistical problem with going through your computer ). Have you ever seen the program " The Musical Wizard " ? It is a pattern sequencer that allows for either detailed step recording or real time recording. IT used to cost about 50 bucks or so, ( back when it was the "Drumz Wizard" ), but is now released as freeware as the creators still provide it but no longer support it. It might be a good program for doing what you describe above. The link is: http://www.mclink.it/personal/MC3796/ . If it will help you, that's great, and if not, it costs you nothing. Cheers KN,

AJ

#191494 - 03/03/03 11:22 AM Re: Is anyone making their own custom Styles?
KN_Fan Offline

Thanks AJ,

Same like you-wish I can buy all three keyboards (KN7000,Tyros/PA80,and the Triton) (okay..it's four )

I'll check that software out-now, I have a Dell (dimension 2350)-I should perhaps buy a MIDI interface for this so I can hook up my Studio...correct? Can anybody recommend a basic interface?

I basically just need to hook my Dell to the keyboard and start recording (I assume MIDI files only then).

Thanks,
KN

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online