SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#191324 - 10/12/04 03:26 PM PSR3000 Sequencer problem
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Hi everybody.
I am studying hard on my PSR3000 and it is great. In the last few weeks my skills have improved and I am building a repertoire. Playing an arranger is new for me, and pressing the buttons in time and not getting mixed up with my fingers on the keys is really something I have to work on.
So I want to hear what I was playing without having to concentrate on the keys and the buttons. So I quick recorded it with the onboard sequencer.
Two problems emerged. I want to know if anyone had the same problems. Mind you: I made several recordings of styles in the sequencer and untill now ONLY the 16beat style (in the Ballad section) and the OTS settings I made myself, gave these problems.

To illustrate the problems, I made two recordings. While recording the style in the sequencer, I also recorded it (via Aux out) to my computer.
1. 16beatguitar.
You can only hear the guitar (track 15, phrase 1), because all the other tracks were off. I just played 2 chords, so what you hear is the 2 chords recorded from the style, and after that the two chords played back by the PSR3k sequencer.
The guitar sound is totally different - and we're talking MIDI here !!
2. No reverb
Also 2 little pieces: first you hear the style and after that what the sequencer made of that.
In the second bit you not only hear the annoying guitar, but when switched from variation D to C, there is no more reverb on the Soprano.
(you can not hear this, but first there WAS reverb on the soprano, but it vanished after I went to variation D and back !)

Any idea what is going on here ?

------------------
drdalet

[This message has been edited by drdalet (edited 10-13-2004).]

#191325 - 10/12/04 04:29 PM Re: PSR3000 Sequencer problem
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
E-mail me the file so I can see if the same thing is happening on my 3000. Send it to gary-diamond@hotmail.com

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#191326 - 10/13/04 01:31 AM Re: PSR3000 Sequencer problem
drdalet Offline

Thanks Gary, I'll do that tomorrow or late tonight (for me).
I will make a longer one, with the changes from variation B+OTS2 to var. C+OTS3, where the soprano is fine, and then go to var. D+OTS4 and back to var. C+OTS3, where the reverb has gone. You will hear the different guitar through the entire song.
As for the guitar - I changed some of the velocities in the sequence and it got better - the sound changes, but not the velocity, so I'll have to check which guitar it is (megavoice?) and maybe that's the problem of that - but then: why is it OK in your PSR3K? We'll see what happens when you play my file on your PSR3K....
Herco

------------------
drdalet

[This message has been edited by drdalet (edited 10-13-2004).]

#191327 - 10/13/04 06:36 AM Re: PSR3000 Sequencer problem
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If it's a megavoice - that's why the sound changes. Maybe Yamaha just chose a new sound for that part of the pattern?

#191328 - 10/13/04 06:39 AM Re: PSR3000 Sequencer problem
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If it's a megavoice - that's why the sound changes. Maybe Yamaha just chose a new sound for that part of the pattern?

#191329 - 10/13/04 07:19 AM Re: PSR3000 Sequencer problem
drdalet Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:

In that case when you play the 16beat style, the velocity on track 15 is disregarded, but when recorded and played back as a song it is not. In my first example you can really hear the different guitar sound and in the style you don't hear any velocity changes. These velocity changes are recorded however (I can see that in the MIDI data) AND played back. That would mean all the PSR3K's (and Tyros') would have this problem and also with other megavoices.
But Gary "travelin'easy" tried it on his PSR3000 and he didn't notice this problem with the 16beat style.
So now I am trying to figure out what can be wrong. Hopefully playing the MIDI-file I recorded on Gary's PSR3000 will give me some answers. Thursday I am home - there is a strike on so trains won't run and I thought it better to stay home and play my PSR3K - and I will do some other tests. For instance: is it the same guitar (I am going to fiddle with the velocities) or is it another guitar and maybe then it is easy to change the sound manually.
Herco

------------------
drdalet

#191330 - 10/14/04 01:58 AM Re: PSR3000 Sequencer problem
drdalet Offline

If you follow this thread I'll let you know what the problem is with the guitar.
I recorded style 16beat (Ballad section) with the onboard sequencer of the PSR3K.
The style uses for Phrase 1 (Midichannel 15) the MutedGuitar sound. However when recorded in the sequencer it uses on Midichannel 15 the Cool! ElecGtr instead.
Checking the Datasheet, the difference between these two guitars is de LSB, so
Cool!ElecGtr= 0 114 29
MutedGuitar = 0 112 29
So the LSB is not recorded somehow. 29 is correct and it is in the MIDI-data, but I cannot find the values of MSB and LSB in the songeditor.
Keeping you posted on the issues of wrong instrument and the other issue I haven't looked at yet: the vanished reverb.
Herco
------------------
drdalet

[This message has been edited by drdalet (edited 10-14-2004).]

#191331 - 10/14/04 03:41 AM Re: PSR3000 Sequencer problem
drdalet Offline

Coming back to the wrong guitar..... it wasn't. I checked the file on the computer (XGworks) and it says Muted Guitar 0 0 29. (XG/GM voice). But it didn't sound like it.
It seems the PSR is for unknown reason the wrong guitar in the song, but not in the style.
I changed the LSB in XGworks to 112 (panelvoice) and saved the Midifile. It is alright now.
And .... the vanished reverb is back. Not only on the new song, but also on the original. :?:

Herco

------------------
drdalet

[This message has been edited by drdalet (edited 10-14-2004).]

#191332 - 10/14/04 03:58 AM Re: PSR3000 Sequencer problem
drdalet Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
E-mail me the file so I can see if the same thing is happening on my 3000. Send it to gary-diamond@hotmail.com

Gary

I got the mail with the attached MID-file back that I send you.

#191333 - 10/14/04 05:39 AM Re: PSR3000 Sequencer problem
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
You may have done this already, but have you tried a factory reset on your 3000?????

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online