SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#191248 - 09/19/02 09:39 PM Re: Tyros or Genesys
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info on Genesys. I am thinking of either Tyros, Genesys or the portable Clavinova PF1000. Can you comment on the Genesys piano sound?

Thanks

Hi there. I've heard both Tyros and Genesys and purchased a Genesys which I've had for 2 weeks now. Personaly I can't stand Yamaha styles or sounds and I've never rated the PSR range at all, so, Tyros wasn't even on my short list.
The Genesys MP3 demo's are mainly latin inspired on Gems site, but the demos inside the keyboard are far better and should be put up on Gem's site instead.
The keyboard is very easy to use, sounds and styles are superb, it may be heavier than the competition but it certainly isn't too cumbersome to carry about. The CDRW is superb to use and you get excellent recordings, MP3 playback is great, the vocaliser I find better than on the SD1.... Too many things to mention about Genesys, I like it. The real time sliders make changing sounds when playing live, far quicker than any other keyboard I've seen.
Listen to both, but at the moment Synthzone seems to be too opinionated towards Technics and Yamaha. I always associated Gem as being an organ company and behind the times, but now I have one, they are definitely up there with the rest and have produced a great arranger.
I also own a Ketron SD1, Roland G1000 and Kurzweil K2500.
[/QUOTE]

#191249 - 09/19/02 09:53 PM Re: Tyros or Genesys
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm guilty of judging the portability of the GEM from hearing the specs. I would like to have a chance to demo it, but that may not be possible.
It sounds like a great keyboard.
DonM

#191250 - 09/20/02 09:11 AM Re: Tyros or Genesys
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by eyrec:
...but the demos inside the keyboard are far better and should be put up on Gem's site instead.

If you can, save them to a floppy (or CD)(CD burner....very cool!) and attach them to an email and I'll post them on a web server I run here.

msutliff@tc.umn.edu

I will assume that you can save the demos as .wav or better yet .mp3's (didn't I read that in the specs somewhere). If not, then I guess you can disregard this message.

Keep on enjoying that new keyboard!

mike

#191251 - 09/20/02 11:09 AM Re: Tyros or Genesys
eyrec Offline

Loc: UK
Hi there.
Answers to the various questions asked are:-
I feel Yamaha sounds and styles don't have enough presence/feeling to them, this is just my personal taste and for everyone who agrees with me someone would disagree, so I don't intend starting a what is best debate.
The Genesys has loads of piano sounds which are all very good. I've always considered my SD1 and G1000 to be best in my opinion for piano sounds but the piano's in the real sounds bank are superb and you can edit them even further to your hearts content.
I can save all the demos as MP3 files but they are quite large files. I do have ADSL so I'll send the guy who asked for some of them a few, so he can post them onto his site. I could also send some songs of myself playing after I've fathomed out how the CDRW works. I've been that busy programming my own setups and styles I haven't had time to record anything yet.

#191252 - 09/20/02 11:26 AM Re: Tyros or Genesys
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Hi eyrec,
I recall a posting where you weren't too happy about some software problems on your Genesys. Are these fixed?

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#191253 - 09/20/02 03:03 PM Re: Tyros or Genesys
eyrec Offline

Loc: UK
The problem was with playing midi files. I don't use these as I play live and only use the odd backing that I've done in Cubase and Pro tools (which will now be an MP3) but I thought I'd check the ones out that come with the keyboard.
Some midi files picked the wrong sounds, but Gem have an update to the OS coming anytime now. They know about this problem and have said it is fixed.
The system freezing hasn't happened since I put on a newer OS and it could have been the midi file that caused this problem anyway.
As for the hissing sound, thats completely gone.
Since I've edited some sounds and changed the reverb/spatial settings, everything sounds excellent. This keyboard is definitely great and is actually easy to use. For a live performer it is very quick to change sounds and styles without having to wade through endless screens or button bashing. Also if you sing, the vocaliser is very good too and the free microphone that comes with every Genesys is also of a good quality. Obviously not a Beyer but certainly acceptable for doing your own recordings.
Definitely don't give this a miss if you are in that money bracket when purchasing.
Also, it's not that heavy. Fair enough heavier than the others, but certainly not impossible to lift.

Quote:
Originally posted by royandreno:
Hi eyrec,
I recall a posting where you weren't too happy about some software problems on your Genesys. Are these fixed?

[This message has been edited by eyrec (edited 09-20-2002).]

[This message has been edited by eyrec (edited 09-20-2002).]

#191254 - 09/20/02 04:03 PM Re: Tyros or Genesys
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
Hi All and hi Eyric.
I am going to be short here cause I just had a long trip to go and get my GENESYS.
Just a few comments but I will make a full report, I agree 110% with Eyric that the sounds and styles are very good and easy to edith although there are some thing I don't like for when performing live, but shurely not the sounds and styles, every one is making a big deal about the wieght, true heavy but it is not the end of the world to carry it, I gig nearly every night at different places and I have had the WK4 for over 6 years, I have managed. that is all I can say for now but I'll keep all of you informed on my findings. One more thing before I end litening for one hour or a quick demo is not enough to get to know a good keyboard, even myself got a bit confused with genesys even though I've had wk4 for all these years.

[This message has been edited by ziggy (edited 09-20-2002).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online