SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#190665 - 02/19/05 04:35 PM Incredible styles...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I just finished going through 32 G-70 to Yamaha conversions that are available at PSR Tutorial and there is only one word to describe them--INCREDIBLE! The conversions were oustanding, and depsite the fact that some were for genres of music that I do not perform, the quality of the conversions were beyond a doubt among the best I've ever encountered. A special thanks to the folks that made these available--they did an outstanding job.

Thank you,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#190666 - 02/19/05 05:10 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Thanks for the heads up Gary.
Have just downloaded them and am going to fire up the Tyros to give them a blast. will let you know what I think later.
Best wishes
Tony

#190667 - 02/19/05 07:44 PM Re: Incredible styles...
chony Offline

Loc: New York
whats the exact URL of the download page?

#190668 - 02/19/05 07:58 PM Re: Incredible styles...
travlin'easy Offline

Chony,

You'll find them at http://psrtutorial.com/Files/KBrolandG70.html

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 02-19-2005).]

#190669 - 02/19/05 08:13 PM Re: Incredible styles...
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Thanks alot Gary!

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 02-19-2005).]

#190670 - 02/19/05 10:33 PM Re: Incredible styles...
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Thank you Gary !!!

#190671 - 02/20/05 07:12 AM Re: Incredible styles...
nevjol Offline

Loc: Durham United Kingdom
Hi Gary,
I have to agree with you that the converted G70 styles are excellent and sound great in the PSR 3000, and I would like to thank the good people for making them available, and for sharing,All the best, Neville.

#190672 - 02/20/05 09:24 AM Re: Incredible styles...
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Gary,

Would you be able to convert Dance, 8Beat and 16 Beat styles as well for us?

Thanks!!

#190673 - 02/20/05 11:36 AM Re: Incredible styles...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by harosha:

Would you be able to convert Dance, 8Beat and 16 Beat styles as well for us?

Thanks!!

Brian Miles will be posting new files when they become available and they will be available on the PSR Tutorial site as well.

I'm not sure of what use they will be to you since you don't own a Yammie, do you Shahzad? I thought you had a Pa1XPRO.

Best regards,
Mike

#190674 - 02/20/05 11:39 AM Re: Incredible styles...
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Mike, I will be converting Yammie styles using the free EMC converter that Korg provides.

#190675 - 02/20/05 12:18 PM Re: Incredible styles...
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Gary, thank you for the information on the files, good stuff.

Now two more thank you's---

#1-Thanks for being on of the main reasons I am now using a laptop on the job for my music.

#2-Thank's for sharing your excitement and comments on the Psr3000 -- Mine is coming this Tuesday. Nice!!!

Life is really good, John C.

#190676 - 02/20/05 05:28 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Gary: Thanks for the G-70 download Post. Can't wait to try them on my PSR-2000.

Rice

#190677 - 02/21/05 07:50 AM Re: Incredible styles...
Captain Proton Offline

I really don't get it.

I have downloaded these styles as well, but they sound extremely 'keyboard'ish compared to my PSR 3000's preset styles.

In fact, it is my opinion that almost every PSRTutorial converted style sounds terrible compared to Yamaha's preset styles (and believe me I have tried a lot of them).

I would never consider using them for a performance or something like that, they sound very amateuristic.

I don't want to insult the people who converted these styles. I know how hard it is to tweak styles for other keyboards and I could not have done any better myself. But the fact remains that these styles simply don't sound good on keyboards that they weren't made for.

So are all the other people that like these styles simply being polite to the people that converted these styles or do they really think that they sound good?

It must be my ears or something.

Looking forward to your replies.

#190678 - 02/21/05 08:13 AM Re: Incredible styles...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Welcome to the forum, Captain. Always good to hear new voices.
I don't have a Yamaha any more so can't comment on these conversions, but I do agree that most conversions don't work nearly as well as they do on the keyboard for which they were designed.
I've been trying to find a Ketron style similar to the Yamaha 60's Rock and Roll style. It is a 4/4 beat with walking bass, but nothing similar is in the SD1. I actually found the Yammy style converted, but it sounds awful on the SD1.
DonM

#190679 - 02/21/05 08:17 AM Re: Incredible styles...
travlin'easy Offline

My wife said the hearing was the third thing to go! Not quite sure about the first thing, but she says the mind was second!

Cheers,

Gary

#190680 - 02/21/05 09:20 AM Re: Incredible styles...
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
Must agree with you Captain, loaded these styles up with drooling anticipation only to feel disappointment, the styles seemed to be flooded with reverb and were raw and unrefined although some of the 'One touch' settings were good.

Rgds

P........

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Proton:
I really don't get it.

I have downloaded these styles as well, but they sound extremely 'keyboard'ish compared to my PSR 3000's preset styles.

In fact, it is my opinion that almost every PSRTutorial converted style sounds terrible compared to Yamaha's preset styles (and believe me I have tried a lot of them).

I would never consider using them for a performance or something like that, they sound very amateuristic.

I don't want to insult the people who converted these styles. I know how hard it is to tweak styles for other keyboards and I could not have done any better myself. But the fact remains that these styles simply don't sound good on keyboards that they weren't made for.

So are all the other people that like these styles simply being polite to the people that converted these styles or do they really think that they sound good?

It must be my ears or something.

Looking forward to your replies.

#190681 - 02/21/05 09:35 AM Re: Incredible styles...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Can someone email me the original G70 styles[Roland Format]? Thanks

#190682 - 02/21/05 10:23 AM Re: Incredible styles...
Dnj Offline

Captain Proton hit it on the head........although very much appreciated for the effort............Honestly, I wasn't inpressed at all with the G70 style conversions and in no way could I use them on stage without major editing .......I also didnt find anything that the 3k doesn't already have which sounds so much better....

#190683 - 02/21/05 11:05 AM Re: Incredible styles...
travlin'easy Offline

Granted, most of the PSr-3000's internal styles are among the best found anywhere, however, I thoroughly enjoyd the way most were constructed. Additonally, I would have no problem using the Club Bossa, Latin Disco, Light Pop, Madison, Modern Medium Swing or Slow Waltz styles.

I sincerely believe that one the ruts we get into is using the same style, often with the same variations and same voices for many of our songs. One of the main reasons I began downloading and using third party styles to add variety to my entertainment. For every third party style I use, I likely listen to 500 others that never get a nod.

Like I said, whatever floats your boat. Some perfomers will like them, some will not, the post was merely an information link to those styles.

Don't Shoot The Messenger,

Gary

#190684 - 02/21/05 11:16 AM Re: Incredible styles...
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I would have no problem using the Club Bossa, Latin Disco, Light Pop, Madison, Modern Medium Swing or Slow Waltz styles.
Gary

I must say that I am glad someone had the temerity to comment on the poor quality of these styles.
I was beginning to think that my PSR9000 was rebelling against them
Strangely , the styles which Gary mentions above are the only ones which I also like.
Anyway, I got these new styles for nothing and they are appreciated.
cheers
E

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#190685 - 02/21/05 03:59 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Has anybody also experienced this? I downloaded from the PsrTutorial site a whole slew of supposedly Hammond Drawbar registrations. There wasn't one in the whole bunch that I would use over the stock Tyros organ voices. I don't recall the Hammonds that I have owned and played over the years sounding anything like these "Hammond" registrations.

Is this just me?

Tom

Tom

#190686 - 02/21/05 04:10 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
I guess my hearing is bad, I thought the G70 styles were great, the best yet I'd say.

Marilyn

#190687 - 02/21/05 05:21 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Roel Offline

I also agree with you Captain...

#190688 - 02/21/05 05:46 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Beakybird Offline

These styles sound incredible - for conversions, which isn't saying much.

Two thirds of them are useable, but almost all of them need tweaking.

I spent several hours tweaking these styles. 1) I revoiced many of the voices, 2) I adjusted levels and sometimes turned down the reverb, and 3) I substituted bad sounding style parts with preset style parts, and 4) I added missing parts using preset styles. The fills seemed to often have a lot of missing sections. This took me several hours, and I ended up with about 10 very nice styles.

Beakybird

#190689 - 02/21/05 05:50 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I tried the styles for the first time this evening...

I have to say I find them not for me. Are they usable? Well, sure...but its a relative thing. Each one I listened to seemed slightly off. Some the drums were huge...some were too buried in reverb...some I just didn't care for.

I really respect the amount of the work and skill that went into this. I think many users might them to be very useful. Therefore, the conversions were a success.

Like Gary said...they're not for everyone...

Bill in Dayton

#190690 - 02/21/05 06:10 PM Re: Incredible styles...
keybplayer Offline

It may be harder to convert Roland Styles to the Yamaha format than let's say Technics or Ketrons are. Also, some Style converters (people who convert them) may not be as advanced in converting Styles as others may be. It would sure be nice if we could get Chris Anthony to lend us a hand in converting the G-70 Styles. But I'm not sure that's possible since Chris is actually employed by the likes of Yamaha and Korg. There might be a conflict of interest and he's probably as busy as a beaver making new Styles for the new Tyros II.

Let me say that I do appreciate each and every effort made by anyone who converts and or create Styles and then they share them with the rest of us. I'm sure many tedious hours went into converting the G-70 Styles and my hat goes off to each and every one who gives of themselves out of the goodness of their heart to give us these and other free Styles for our Yammie Boards.

The saying is very true that says: "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". It could also be said that "Beggars can't be choosers" but let's not go down that street, okay?...

Thank you for the G-70 styles!

Btw, where necessary; doing a little tweaking can be very rewarding and you would be surprised at the possibilities and how things may improve sonically.

Best regards,
Mike

#190691 - 02/21/05 06:42 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
I have to agree with Mike in that editing and tweaking goes a long way.

I have owned roland boards and was never too enthusiastic about the majority of Rolands styles (boy will I get flack for that!) even when played on a roland board.

No conversion is going to match the inbuilt styles on any keyboard anyway and anyone expecting that they would is in for a major dissapointment.

These conversions however have some great OTS settings. Worth it for that alone

It must be very hard work to get them sounding as good as they do and whoever did them has far more patience (and much more skill) than I. Thanks for your efforts.

Lets face it... they are free and if there is only one style in ten you find useable it is still excellent value for money Plus imagine the fun you all had trying them out! thats priceless

Best wishes
Tony

#190692 - 02/21/05 07:12 PM Re: Incredible styles...
travlin'easy Offline

Hey Larry,

Don't be stingy now--share your work with the rest of the guys and gals on this forum. Post those tweaked conversions so we can harvest the fruits of your labors.

Gary

#190693 - 02/21/05 07:26 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Beakybird Offline

OK. I will post it on the Yahoo groups email as an attachment.

Beakybird

#190694 - 02/21/05 08:16 PM Re: Incredible styles...
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
I'll give a "thumbs up" to the converted G-70 styles. They sound great on my PSR3000.
DVJ

#190695 - 02/22/05 06:58 AM Re: Incredible styles...
travlin'easy Offline

Larry, what is the link to the email with file attachment?

Gary

#190696 - 02/22/05 07:11 AM Re: Incredible styles...
Fran Carango Offline

Chris Anthony works for General Music..

#190697 - 02/22/05 09:24 AM Re: Incredible styles...
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Gary

Here's the link to the email attachments. The directions are on the top of the page.

This sure beats having a zillion emails sent every day.
http://home7.inet.tele.dk/js/musik/740pages/russ_frame.htm

Best
Scott Langholff

#190698 - 02/23/05 01:05 AM Re: Incredible styles...
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Hi

In my ears there is many very good styles in the G70 collection,
and I'm sure they play / sound great on the kb it's made for.
Convert the stuff is the easy part, tweaking it to sound good at
other kb-brands are the challenge, at least for me.
I guess that's the way it will be as long as there are different
"standards" and compressions regarding to styles, not a common
way for all such as i.e. GM or XG etc.
Anyway, I think this is the best styles I've heard from Roland.
GJ

Btw. Tehnics users,
I've quick converted all set into KN5000 sometime ago, and it's
to find among the other stuff at my site
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#190699 - 02/23/05 06:41 AM Re: Incredible styles...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Gunnar Jonny:
Hi
Btw. Tehnics users,
I've quick converted all set into KN5000 sometime ago, and it's
to find among the other stuff at my site

Gunnar ... thank you .... I'll give a listen ...
t.

#190700 - 02/23/05 03:43 PM Re: Incredible styles...
keybplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Chris Anthony works for General Music..

Humm... Chris himself said he worked on Styles for the Tyros and I think he said the Korg PA80 also. In other words Styles for other Brand boards besides GEM. If he works for GEM he may do side work (scab??) for other Companies too???

Best regards,
Mike

#190701 - 02/23/05 08:16 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Fran Carango Offline

A BIG thankyou to Gunnar for sending me the original G70 styles and the conversion to the G1000...Also thanks to John and Ailev for their help..

I am confused why G70 owners have complained about the styles..The styles[converted to the G1000] range from very good to excellent...many the best I have heard...If the G70 sounds at least this good[G1000 conversions],throw in the VK organ and the Vocal harmonizer...It can't miss...I can't wait to get one..
As for the Yammies conversion of the G70 styles...maybe it isn't the conversion efforts as much as the Yamaha short comings!!

#190702 - 02/24/05 05:38 AM Re: Incredible styles...
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
I also think these are some of the best styles I've heard. Not all of them but quite a few. That fast walking jazz bass is awesome on that one style. And I agree that kudos should go out to those who worked on them. I also like a lot of the ots choices with the tasty layers.

Gary,
Thank you for the heads up on these.
btw, haven't noticed it mentioned but the 2nd zip file is up now.

------------------
The old Newb

#190703 - 02/24/05 06:42 AM Re: Incredible styles...
travlin'easy Offline

I downloaded them a couple days ago, and again, while there are several styles I would never use because of the genre of music, the conversions sounded good to these aging ears.

Cheers,

Gary

#190704 - 02/24/05 07:15 AM Re: Incredible styles...
nielshs Offline

fran

The internal styles in the G-70 i very good, but the factory settings have to much reverb and the volumen is to loud, so you need a lot of programming to make this keyboard sound good. The new upgrade has fixed some of the problems, but there is still to much reverb in the styles. I think it will be fixed in the next upgrade. BTV the G-70 is a super keyboard.

Regards

#190705 - 02/24/05 10:50 AM Re: Incredible styles...
BlkNotes Offline

I am curious about the comments made by several Roland KB players who own VA series (va-5,7 % Va-76) & G1000 instruments that they are not impressed by the G-70's new styles or voices because they they sound so similar the previous generation keyborads. Can anyone shed light on this??

Regards;
SCP

#190706 - 02/25/05 09:51 AM Re: Incredible styles...
firehead Offline

Loc: thornwood, n.y. , usa
Can anyone help? I downloaded the styles onto a disk and placed in my Tyros. However, I could not get anything to play. Can anyone tell me how to hear these styles. I pressed the FD on the screen but nothing appeared. I tried the user style button and every other button but even though these styles are on a disk, they did not appear on my screen. Is there a certain way to download onto a disk?

#190707 - 02/25/05 10:51 AM Re: Incredible styles...
ironhill Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by firehead:
Can anyone help? I downloaded the styles onto a disk and placed in my Tyros. However, I could not get anything to play. Can anyone tell me how to hear these styles. I pressed the FD on the screen but nothing appeared. I tried the user style button and every other button but even though these styles are on a disk, they did not appear on my screen. Is there a certain way to download onto a disk?

Did you UNZIP the files before you store it? Regards Hanspeter

#190708 - 02/25/05 11:21 AM Re: Incredible styles...
ironhill Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BlkNotes:

I am curious about the comments made by several Roland KB players who own VA series (va-5,7 % Va-76) & G1000 instruments that they are not impressed by the G-70's new styles or voices because they they sound so similar the previous generation keyborads. Can anyone shed light on this??

Regards;
SCP

Hi,
Roland publicity department promised 285 brand new styles. That's not really true. Approximately 100 of them are old ones with only very small modification. Within the BOSSA/SAMBA family 11 of 15 are from VA instruments !! I think that's the reason.
Regards Hanspeter

#190709 - 02/25/05 12:19 PM Re: Incredible styles...
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
I've been checking out the "new" G70 styles on my 2 year old Roland KR7 intelligent piano. Some are the same as the styles already included in the internal styles of the KR7. Some are new and quite good sounding. Most are just average. Few made me sit up and take notice. (Could it be that the G70's memory size and voices would make for more smooth and professional-sounding style playback than when played on another Roland keyboard?)
In my opinion, it seems like Roland just doesn't have what it takes to create great, inspiring styles that make you want to just sit and play and get lost in the music the way Yamaha's styles do.

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#190710 - 02/25/05 03:03 PM Re: Incredible styles...
ironhill Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CoasterTim:

In my opinion, it seems like Roland just doesn't have what it takes to create great, inspiring styles that make you want to just sit and play and get lost in the music the way Yamaha's styles do.

Tim

Hi,
Yamaha is cooking with water too. But the differnce is, Roland doesn't have that strong notice in style and song software like their competitor. That's the result of neglect that business segment. If user hear and play 4 years the same accompaniment, it's boring. Roland has born a "new" club. Do you know what styles they offer? G-800 styles?! At service line, people can't
download new G-70 version (6 weeks old). What do you think about that?
Regards Hanspeter

#190711 - 02/25/05 04:05 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Gary: I finally got the G70 Styles transferred from my internet computer to a floppy disk and took them out to my studio to try on my PSR-2000. I agree with you 100%. They are great. I plan to begin using a couple of them immediately. Thanks again for reminding us about them.

Rice

#190712 - 02/25/05 07:51 PM Re: Incredible styles...
BlkNotes Offline

Thanks for the explaination Hanspeter. The G-70 is destined to reach my location in approximately in one month. I hope to try it out.

Regards;
BN

#190713 - 02/25/05 09:00 PM Re: Incredible styles...
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Actually, Chris Anthony is an independent style creator. He did at one time only work for Generalmusic, but today he works on many projects. In fact, he was on the Roland G70 project and programmed some of the styles in the keyboard. He has also done work for Korg and Yamaha and possibly even others.
George Kaye
kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online