SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#190685 - 02/21/05 03:59 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Has anybody also experienced this? I downloaded from the PsrTutorial site a whole slew of supposedly Hammond Drawbar registrations. There wasn't one in the whole bunch that I would use over the stock Tyros organ voices. I don't recall the Hammonds that I have owned and played over the years sounding anything like these "Hammond" registrations.

Is this just me?

Tom

Tom

#190686 - 02/21/05 04:10 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
I guess my hearing is bad, I thought the G70 styles were great, the best yet I'd say.

Marilyn

#190687 - 02/21/05 05:21 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Roel Offline

I also agree with you Captain...

#190688 - 02/21/05 05:46 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Beakybird Offline

These styles sound incredible - for conversions, which isn't saying much.

Two thirds of them are useable, but almost all of them need tweaking.

I spent several hours tweaking these styles. 1) I revoiced many of the voices, 2) I adjusted levels and sometimes turned down the reverb, and 3) I substituted bad sounding style parts with preset style parts, and 4) I added missing parts using preset styles. The fills seemed to often have a lot of missing sections. This took me several hours, and I ended up with about 10 very nice styles.

Beakybird

#190689 - 02/21/05 05:50 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I tried the styles for the first time this evening...

I have to say I find them not for me. Are they usable? Well, sure...but its a relative thing. Each one I listened to seemed slightly off. Some the drums were huge...some were too buried in reverb...some I just didn't care for.

I really respect the amount of the work and skill that went into this. I think many users might them to be very useful. Therefore, the conversions were a success.

Like Gary said...they're not for everyone...

Bill in Dayton

#190690 - 02/21/05 06:10 PM Re: Incredible styles...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
It may be harder to convert Roland Styles to the Yamaha format than let's say Technics or Ketrons are. Also, some Style converters (people who convert them) may not be as advanced in converting Styles as others may be. It would sure be nice if we could get Chris Anthony to lend us a hand in converting the G-70 Styles. But I'm not sure that's possible since Chris is actually employed by the likes of Yamaha and Korg. There might be a conflict of interest and he's probably as busy as a beaver making new Styles for the new Tyros II.

Let me say that I do appreciate each and every effort made by anyone who converts and or create Styles and then they share them with the rest of us. I'm sure many tedious hours went into converting the G-70 Styles and my hat goes off to each and every one who gives of themselves out of the goodness of their heart to give us these and other free Styles for our Yammie Boards.

The saying is very true that says: "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". It could also be said that "Beggars can't be choosers" but let's not go down that street, okay?...

Thank you for the G-70 styles!

Btw, where necessary; doing a little tweaking can be very rewarding and you would be surprised at the possibilities and how things may improve sonically.

Best regards,
Mike

#190691 - 02/21/05 06:42 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
I have to agree with Mike in that editing and tweaking goes a long way.

I have owned roland boards and was never too enthusiastic about the majority of Rolands styles (boy will I get flack for that!) even when played on a roland board.

No conversion is going to match the inbuilt styles on any keyboard anyway and anyone expecting that they would is in for a major dissapointment.

These conversions however have some great OTS settings. Worth it for that alone

It must be very hard work to get them sounding as good as they do and whoever did them has far more patience (and much more skill) than I. Thanks for your efforts.

Lets face it... they are free and if there is only one style in ten you find useable it is still excellent value for money Plus imagine the fun you all had trying them out! thats priceless

Best wishes
Tony

#190692 - 02/21/05 07:12 PM Re: Incredible styles...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hey Larry,

Don't be stingy now--share your work with the rest of the guys and gals on this forum. Post those tweaked conversions so we can harvest the fruits of your labors.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#190693 - 02/21/05 07:26 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Beakybird Offline

OK. I will post it on the Yahoo groups email as an attachment.

Beakybird

#190694 - 02/21/05 08:16 PM Re: Incredible styles...
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
I'll give a "thumbs up" to the converted G-70 styles. They sound great on my PSR3000.
DVJ

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online