SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#190675 - 02/20/05 12:18 PM Re: Incredible styles...
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Gary, thank you for the information on the files, good stuff.

Now two more thank you's---

#1-Thanks for being on of the main reasons I am now using a laptop on the job for my music.

#2-Thank's for sharing your excitement and comments on the Psr3000 -- Mine is coming this Tuesday. Nice!!!

Life is really good, John C.

#190676 - 02/20/05 05:28 PM Re: Incredible styles...
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Gary: Thanks for the G-70 download Post. Can't wait to try them on my PSR-2000.

Rice

#190677 - 02/21/05 07:50 AM Re: Incredible styles...
Captain Proton Offline

I really don't get it.

I have downloaded these styles as well, but they sound extremely 'keyboard'ish compared to my PSR 3000's preset styles.

In fact, it is my opinion that almost every PSRTutorial converted style sounds terrible compared to Yamaha's preset styles (and believe me I have tried a lot of them).

I would never consider using them for a performance or something like that, they sound very amateuristic.

I don't want to insult the people who converted these styles. I know how hard it is to tweak styles for other keyboards and I could not have done any better myself. But the fact remains that these styles simply don't sound good on keyboards that they weren't made for.

So are all the other people that like these styles simply being polite to the people that converted these styles or do they really think that they sound good?

It must be my ears or something.

Looking forward to your replies.

#190678 - 02/21/05 08:13 AM Re: Incredible styles...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Welcome to the forum, Captain. Always good to hear new voices.
I don't have a Yamaha any more so can't comment on these conversions, but I do agree that most conversions don't work nearly as well as they do on the keyboard for which they were designed.
I've been trying to find a Ketron style similar to the Yamaha 60's Rock and Roll style. It is a 4/4 beat with walking bass, but nothing similar is in the SD1. I actually found the Yammy style converted, but it sounds awful on the SD1.
DonM

#190679 - 02/21/05 08:17 AM Re: Incredible styles...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
My wife said the hearing was the third thing to go! Not quite sure about the first thing, but she says the mind was second!

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#190680 - 02/21/05 09:20 AM Re: Incredible styles...
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
Must agree with you Captain, loaded these styles up with drooling anticipation only to feel disappointment, the styles seemed to be flooded with reverb and were raw and unrefined although some of the 'One touch' settings were good.

Rgds

P........

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Proton:
I really don't get it.

I have downloaded these styles as well, but they sound extremely 'keyboard'ish compared to my PSR 3000's preset styles.

In fact, it is my opinion that almost every PSRTutorial converted style sounds terrible compared to Yamaha's preset styles (and believe me I have tried a lot of them).

I would never consider using them for a performance or something like that, they sound very amateuristic.

I don't want to insult the people who converted these styles. I know how hard it is to tweak styles for other keyboards and I could not have done any better myself. But the fact remains that these styles simply don't sound good on keyboards that they weren't made for.

So are all the other people that like these styles simply being polite to the people that converted these styles or do they really think that they sound good?

It must be my ears or something.

Looking forward to your replies.

#190681 - 02/21/05 09:35 AM Re: Incredible styles...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Can someone email me the original G70 styles[Roland Format]? Thanks

#190682 - 02/21/05 10:23 AM Re: Incredible styles...
Dnj Offline

Captain Proton hit it on the head........although very much appreciated for the effort............Honestly, I wasn't inpressed at all with the G70 style conversions and in no way could I use them on stage without major editing .......I also didnt find anything that the 3k doesn't already have which sounds so much better....

#190683 - 02/21/05 11:05 AM Re: Incredible styles...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Granted, most of the PSr-3000's internal styles are among the best found anywhere, however, I thoroughly enjoyd the way most were constructed. Additonally, I would have no problem using the Club Bossa, Latin Disco, Light Pop, Madison, Modern Medium Swing or Slow Waltz styles.

I sincerely believe that one the ruts we get into is using the same style, often with the same variations and same voices for many of our songs. One of the main reasons I began downloading and using third party styles to add variety to my entertainment. For every third party style I use, I likely listen to 500 others that never get a nod.

Like I said, whatever floats your boat. Some perfomers will like them, some will not, the post was merely an information link to those styles.

Don't Shoot The Messenger,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#190684 - 02/21/05 11:16 AM Re: Incredible styles...
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I would have no problem using the Club Bossa, Latin Disco, Light Pop, Madison, Modern Medium Swing or Slow Waltz styles.
Gary

I must say that I am glad someone had the temerity to comment on the poor quality of these styles.
I was beginning to think that my PSR9000 was rebelling against them
Strangely , the styles which Gary mentions above are the only ones which I also like.
Anyway, I got these new styles for nothing and they are appreciated.
cheers
E

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online