SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#190388 - 10/17/05 09:06 PM Bose PA questions
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I was in Memphis today and went by Guitar Center to audition the Bose PAS.
I expected to be totally blown away by it, but I wasn't. It had good high end, good mids, but the low end just wasn't right. It had one sub cabinet, by the way.
I experimented by playing a digital recording of myself, recorded live on the job, made and played with the Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox 3. I know that the recordings had good, balanced sound, as I had listened to them through several different sound systems, including my Logitechs, Barbettas car stereo and headphones. My recordings were stereo WAV files, so I used a splitter and ran into two channels on the Bose.
I tried different e.q. settings and different presets. The best I found was 55. At least you could HEAR the bass with this one, but it just didn't have that deep punch (can we say "balls" on here?).
Unless it can be made to sound better, I wouldn't trade ONE of my Barbettas for the whole system. What did I do wrong?
DonM

#190389 - 10/17/05 09:30 PM Re: Bose PA questions
Dnj Offline

Don did you set the [2] Gains pods properly on the base unit at about #10 each & on the remote at 12 o'clock and then boost the bass from the Remote control to about 3 oclock...I use EQ#5.
Up close is NOT the way to listen to the PAS you gotta go way out in front to appreciate the room filling sound.....
Don its a very "Different Animal" & hard to explain till you get used to it....
took me a while also but now I enjoy it alot.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-17-2005).]

#190390 - 10/17/05 10:17 PM Re: Bose PA questions
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Don...
It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. But, I don't think it was an honest test either.

I believe you should try the Bose by playing LIVE...either direct or thru a mixer. And, even then, to get the optimum sound you will probably want to do a little tweaking within your kb in addition to using the PAS preset of your choice.

On the PAS itself, my preferred preset is #57. (I believe Donny and Gary are also using #57.)

I'd be the last guy in the world to say it is the only system anyone should use...but I am loving how clean and definitive everything sounds, the minimum drop-off rate of volume and wide dispersion of sound, especially helpful in odd shaped rooms.

You already know about the other bennies...the small footprint, lightweight, etc.

The bottom line is: its gotta sound good to you or you're not gonna be happy with it.

Eddie

#190391 - 10/17/05 10:26 PM Re: Bose PA questions
btweengigs Offline

One quick addendum. I also used preset #5, until I downloaded the Version 2 presets. Chances are any units you find at GC are not going to have Version 2 loaded.
Eddie

#190392 - 10/17/05 10:32 PM Re: Bose PA questions
btweengigs Offline

Whoops, I see GC did have V2 loaded. Sorry.
Eddie

#190393 - 10/18/05 05:31 AM Re: Bose PA questions
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
When I got my pas I didn't twist the plug for the subwoofer so it wasn't hooked up. I played for 2 days like that it sounded good but no b-lls. ( GC gets alot of traffic and anything could have happened.)
I used it with my jbl eon sub and it sounded real good, but when I twisted the connector the Bose sounded better on its own than with the JBL. I'm tempted to say almost too much bottom punch.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 10-18-2005).]

#190394 - 10/18/05 06:26 AM Re: Bose PA questions
DonM Offline

I can only assume it can be made to sound better then. I had to kneal down and put my ear against the sub to hear anything when I first tested it. I didn't check the inputs on it though. The 12-year-old salesman didn't know anything about the presets. I had to do that myself. I tried 55 and 56, but not 57. Couldn't remember what you guys had said you used. It was on zero when I got there.
If it were closer, I'd go back and try again, but it's 350 miles to Memphis from here.
Maybe HankB and I will slip off to Dallas one day and check one out there.
Thanks,
DonM

#190395 - 10/18/05 06:28 AM Re: Bose PA questions
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Don, the one thing that I also did not think the Bose measured up...was the bottom.
I am not sure the Bose sub woofer is on par with the rest of the system..
Maybe it's because I am used to the Yorkville system including the 700 watt sub woofer I use[with 2 550 watt 12's with horns.
Personally I wouldn't trade the Yorkville system for the Bose..[Especially since the Yorkville cost more]..
Once you get use to a big bottom, it's hard to compromise[I am talking about the sound system ..Don]..

#190396 - 10/18/05 06:32 AM Re: Bose PA questions
DonM Offline

I just looked at another photo of the Bose. Would it work if only two pieces of the tower were connected? I really believe they only had two pieces of the tower connected, but I could be wrong.
DonM

#190397 - 10/18/05 06:34 AM Re: Bose PA questions
DonM Offline

"Once you get use to a big bottom, it's hard to compromise[I am talking about the sound system".]

That TOO!
DonM

#190398 - 10/18/05 06:52 AM Re: Bose PA questions
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I just looked at another photo of the Bose. Would it work if only two pieces of the tower were connected? I really believe they only had two pieces of the tower connected, but I could be wrong.
DonM

Its possible the Sub wasnt connected Don....that would be the cause of not hearing Bass......I use it every nite and it sounds wonderful crisp & clean you can always add a second sub untit for more bass if needed too...plus its nothing to transport.

#190399 - 10/18/05 06:54 AM Re: Bose PA questions
btweengigs Offline

1. The PAS will work with no sub attached at all.
2. It will also work if you use only the lower L1 (just the pole that goes into the base).
3. It will also work if the remote is not hooked up.

But, none of those scenerios is how it is intended.

Another common mistake made is hooking up the sub to the wrong speakon connection on the base. (I did it twice befoe taping off the wrong one.)

Don...consider the 45 day free trial from Bose.

Eddie

#190400 - 10/18/05 07:22 AM Re: Bose PA questions
mikeathome1 Offline

I did the same thing Don I was down on my knees with my ear next to the sub to see if it was working and one thing I can definately tell you is when it is working you don't have to put your ear near it to hear it and you can feel it.
It put out better bass and bottom end than the 15" jbl sub.
I spent many years as a bass player so I judge all things first by the bass response.
Like I said I made that mistake ( not having the sub hooked up) and someone here pointed out that Bose said that is the number one customer service call from new owners.

#190401 - 10/18/05 08:15 AM Re: Bose PA questions
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Don,

I suspect the kid didn't have a clue where and how to hook things up. If the sub is connected properly, it will blow the walls out!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#190402 - 10/18/05 09:09 AM Re: Bose PA questions
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
The reason we haven't heard from UD (remember him? ) is the Bose system[s] he purchased put him in such arrears financially that he had to sell his Computer to get out from under the debt and hence no more UD.

Just kidding of course but could there be an ounce of truth to the above statement?

In my opinion the Bose PAS is "way" overpriced for what you get and it is such an obstacle to transport it/them and set them up, not to mention break them down and 're-transport' them. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.. Heave HO!

Also Bose is very conniving in that they don't give the specifications on the PAS or any of their other products on their web site that I'm aware of. All other Companies that are respectable that I know of give all the "details" of their products right out in the open. Not so with Bose and in this case the PAS. You actually have to read the Owners Manual to get an inkling of the Specifications and unfortunately even the Manual is severely lacking regarding comprehensive detail as to its specifications. For instance there is no mention of the Sub's specifications in the Manual that I could tell.

Bose marketing is just that, i.e. "Marketing". It's not about informing customers the intimate details regarding their products but about selling a 'name' to an unsuspecting and unaware public. They want to basically keep you in the dark and sorry to say it 'ignorant' about their products and want you to essentially trust them that they know what they're doing because "we've been in business soooooo long" and we're "BOSE" so you can trust us. It's all marketing hype and they're very good at it because they've been doing it for soooooo long. Give us your bucks and we'll give you.. er.. ... "oh, just trust us?"

My 2¢

Best regards,
Mike

#190403 - 10/18/05 09:21 AM Re: Bose PA questions
btweengigs Offline

Mike...
Bose has tons of info out there. And they are very Googalable. About the only thing I found hard to find was the wattage output, which is 1400 peak, or about 700 RMS.

The Bose techs are also very helpful and available toll-free.

Eddie

#190404 - 10/18/05 11:20 AM Re: Bose PA questions
keybplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
Mike...
Bose has tons of info out there. And they are very Googalable. About the only thing I found hard to find was the wattage output, which is 1400 peak, or about 700 RMS.

The Bose techs are also very helpful and available toll-free.

Eddie

Eddie I'm sorry to inform you that the RMS wattage on the PAS is only 250W. PS: That was taken right from the Manual.

Yes there is a lot of info floating around the internet but unfortunately a lot of it is not accurate. We should be able to go directly to the Manufacturer (Company) to get it from the horse's mouth. Unfortunately Bose's mouth tends to be on the shut side.

Best regards,
Mike

#190405 - 10/18/05 11:57 AM Re: Bose PA questions
DonM Offline

Here is what the Bose site says:

" What is the power rating of the System?

The system delivers 750 Watts continuous power, broken down into 3x250 Watts (RMS). Each of the two sections of the L1 Cylindrical Radiator? loudspeaker handle 250 Watts and another 250 Watts are delivered into up to two B1 bass modules.

This is both the power rating of the power amplifiers and the loudspeakers. Each rating has been established individually through industry standard measurements. These ratings do NOT reflect the actual power that is typically produced by the power amplifier and consumed by the loudspeaker.

We also would like to point out that the power amplifiers, loudspeakers and internal limiters are exactly matched. This makes it virtually impossible to overdrive the loudspeaker and to clip or overload amplifiers while at the same time using all available resources very efficiently. "

DonM

#190406 - 10/18/05 11:57 AM Re: Bose PA questions
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:

In my opinion the Bose PAS is "way" overpriced for what you get and it is such an obstacle to transport it/them and set them up, not to mention break them down and 're-transport' them. Back and forth, back and forth,

Mike are you using one?
Take it from a Pro who uses the PAS every day & nite at different venues the above statement is pure BS imo, its the best system I ever heard or used on stage in 35yrs performing period!...not to mention the easiest to transport in a vehicle due to its futuristic design.
sorry I disagree totaly with ya

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-18-2005).]

#190407 - 10/18/05 12:12 PM Re: Bose PA questions
btweengigs Offline

Mike...
I'm not going to get in a spittin' match with you. The guys at Bose would love to hear from you.

Call Bose® Product & Technical Support at (877) 335-2673 and we’ll do everything possible to help you.

Eddie

#190408 - 10/18/05 12:15 PM Re: Bose PA questions
btweengigs Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
Mike...
I'm not going to get in a spittin' match with you. The guys at Bose would love to hear from you.

On their site they say: "Call Bose® Product & Technical Support at (877) 335-2673 and we’ll do everything possible to help you."

I have...and they did.

Eddie

#190409 - 10/18/05 02:52 PM Re: Bose PA questions
mikeathome1 Offline

Here's a question I'm too lazy to look up, how many speakers does the PAs have? I think I read the sub uses 2 6" speakers I was wondering about the two poles? the L1 & L2
Anyone know off hand?

#190410 - 10/18/05 02:59 PM Re: Bose PA questions
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA

#190411 - 10/18/05 03:23 PM Re: Bose PA questions
travlin'easy Offline

Mike,

There are three 250-watt RMS amps in the base unit, one for each of the PAS segments. One for each section of the tower, and one for the sub. The peak power rating is 1,400-watts based on industry standards.

As for the power and sound quality, I defer to my audiences--they're the ones I must please. Everyone, regardless of audience size, has raved about the system and how wonderful everything sounds. Now the folks in the back of a large hall can hear the same volume and quality as the folks sitting 15 feet in front of the stage. It's a whole new dimension of sound systems available today, and if the Bose cost $3000 I would have still bought it withing blinking an eye. I more than a half century of working with sound systems, there is absolutely nothing that even comes close. And, now that I think of it, I spent nearly as much money on a pair or Barbetta Sona 32-Cs when you include the heavy-duty speaker stands and custom made cables. The difference between the systems was just about $350--big deal. I've spent $350 on high quality mics, and that was years ago. Damned I'm gettin' old!

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#190412 - 10/18/05 08:05 PM Re: Bose PA questions
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Mike,
Now the folks in the back of a large hall can hear the same volume and quality as the folks sitting 15 feet in front of the stage. It's a whole new dimension of sound systems available today, and if the Bose cost $3000 I would have still bought it withing blinking an eye.

Gary...I agree its definitly worth more then what I paid for it......Like you said you only have to please YOUR Audiences & make a living

#190413 - 10/19/05 04:33 AM Re: Bose PA questions
mikeathome1 Offline

Quote:
Damned I'm gettin' old!

That creeps up on ya doesn't it, one day you're 30 next day.....what happened?

#190414 - 10/19/05 06:42 AM Re: Bose PA questions
travlin'easy Offline

Yep, I looked in the mirror last week and there was an old man with white hair looking back at me. Then Miss Clairol and I had a serious conversation. Now there's an old guy with medium brown hair looking back at me. My wife says my mind keeps makin' appointments my body can't keep! Hey, at least darker hair shaves off a few years in appearance. In this part of the world, old guys with white hair don't get as many music jobs as those with dark hair--it's just a fact of life that we all have to deal with. Besides, it's kinda' fun gettin' oogled by relatively young ladies when you're playing in a dimly lit room.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#190415 - 10/19/05 07:11 AM Re: Bose PA questions
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Gary, I played those rooms...When the lights go on at the end of the night...they weren't young ladies either!!!

#190416 - 10/20/05 09:21 AM Re: Bose PA questions
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Hello Folks,
I may be a stranger to all of you. I’m one of those gray haired guys that Ms Clairol can’t help. I read this forum frequently and I was more active years ago when the hot topics were the Korg i40M (which I still use) and the Roland RA-800. I've been using a Bose
L1 with a B1 bass bin for about 2 years now. I was very skeptical
about the claims Bose made about this system. As it turns out, it
was one of the best equipment investments I've ever made. I had
several keyboard amps - including the JBL EON among many others that have been mentioned in this forum, and a Mackie 808S with Toa and then Bose 800 speakers that I used for bigger venues. I
didn't like any of them (the keyboard amps), especially in the
restaurants (although I still own a Barbetta amp as back-up). The patrons seated in front of me were obviously
annoyed if I turned the volume up enough to reach past the far half
of the room. The science of the Bose system is that there is very
little drop off, so that what I hear from the speaker at 3 feet is
pretty much what a listener hears at about 75 feet. I've yet to
turn the volume up past 2 o'clock (12:00 being half way). That's
outdoors and/or big halls. Last Christmas I played the Lulu Temple
outside of Philadelphia that claims to seat about 1,000 - It
probably only seats about 700 or so - and I was happy with the
output. Same with outside gigs - clear, no distortion and in two
years, I've never experienced any feedback. In the restaurants that
I play, I put the tower against the wall, and it seems like it kind
of disappears. I dealt directly with Bose as none of the retail outlets carried this system at that time. I was fortunate in that because I expressed so much skepticism and doubt about the system, Bose gave me a 90 day trial, and to be honest it took me the full time period to decide. I looked for reasons not to get it but I'm now happy that I didn't find any. I would suggest you tune into the Bose website forum and talk to folks about the concerns you have (other than the cost).
You can also discuss your specific needs and concerns with Bose tech
reps - they're pretty good about that. I'm tickled pink with this system after going through more than a dozen amps and PA systems in recent years. Further, I would bet that if you put some money up front, one of the retail
outlets would let you try it for at least 30, 45 days or more - money back if it doesn't suit you.
Ciao,
Jerry

#190417 - 10/20/05 09:26 AM Re: Bose PA questions
Dnj Offline

Jerry great review.....
I TOTALLY AGREE with you

#190418 - 10/20/05 09:42 AM Re: Bose PA questions
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Besides, it's kinda' fun gettin' oogled by relatively young ladies

Gary, you olde rascal! BTW, what's "relatively young", under 60 or under 70?

Glenn

#190419 - 10/20/05 10:32 AM Re: Bose PA questions
keybplayer Offline

Quote:

The system delivers 750 Watts continuous power, broken down into 3x250 Watts (RMS). Each of the two sections of the L1 Cylindrical Radiator? loudspeaker handle 250 Watts and another 250 Watts are delivered into up to two B1 bass modules.

This is both the power rating of the power amplifiers and the loudspeakers. These ratings do NOT reflect the actual power that is typically produced by the power amplifier and consumed by the loudspeaker.

DonM

250W x "2" Cylindrical Radiator speakers = 500W. The Bass Module is separate from the Speakers so in actuality the Speaker output is 500W instead of the acclaimed 750W. Since Bose is evidently running the Amplifiers in "Bridged" mode the 'total' Wattage is 750W but again only 500 Watts are through the Cylindrical speakers since the Bass Module is separate from the output of the speakers themselves.

Another thing to consider is Bose rates their loudspeakers at 4 Ohms. So at a rating of 250W at "4" Ohms could theoretically be a lot 'less' than the FTC-mandated "8" Ohm spec. In other words 250 at 4 Ohms would and could be as low as 125W per channel at the FTC-mandated 8 Ohm spec., with the variables being the impedance factor, power supply rating, quality of the amplifier itself, etc. So what Bose is trying to do in my opinion is make their Speakers look better by giving the 4 Ohm rating than giving the FTC-mandated 8 Ohm specification listing.

I know I'm being overly technical but these things need to be pointed out.

As to being over priced, well all I can say is Bose is making a boat load of profit on each PAS they sell and those who purchase one are paying way too much in my opinion and adding to Bose's already huge coffers while the customer is essentially buying a "name" and paying more for it as apposed to a competively priced "product" regardless of name.

Another nit pik is the dimensions of the Base that the Radiators attach to. Too big and too cumbersome to transport in my opinion, let alone all the other 'pieces' to the puzzle that need to be transported along with it. You are essentially putting together a Speaker[s] System where instead a Speaker[s] should be one solid unit to begin with in my opinion and should not have to be 'assembled' and re-assembled with each use.

Okay, I'll stop for now. If you don't mind the discrepancies and the added hassle to setup and tear down and the sound is adequate to your ears and more importantly to the audiences then more power to you.

Realize though that you will need "2" Bose PAS "systems" to get stereo sound and also that Piano sounds on a keyboard are more than likely to be sampled in stereo so if you only have "1" PAS then because of the phase cancellation effect the Piano sounds you play may sound less than desireable and perhaps even muddy as Don mentioned. And if you happen to purchase "2" PAS systems you've just "doubled" the setup/tear down hassle plus you may need to purchase a bigger vehicle to transport them with. Not to mention your nearly empty bank account which was full before the PAS transactions.

Okay, I'm through now... really.

Best regards,
Mike

#190420 - 10/20/05 11:12 AM Re: Bose PA questions
Dnj Offline

What a load of crap............thanx for the laugh my friend .....this is why I dont listen to any of this stuff.....and make MY own decision with my own ears!
I auditioned it, I bought it, I love its sound,
my audiences love it, my back loves it, my pocket loves it...Nufff Said

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-20-2005).]

#190421 - 10/20/05 12:28 PM Re: Bose PA questions
mikeathome1 Offline

JBL eon sub 2 ohms
JBL won't even tell you the impedence of the eon G2, they tell you "Amplifier Power LF: 300 watts @ low-frequency driver impedance." ? If they weren't ashamed they'd tell you right up front in big letters.
Call the FTC lets turn 'em in. and they charge $699 apiece
Quote:
I know I'm being overly technical but these things need to be pointed out.

And then JBL takes the same tired design everybody has been using for years and they want to make a profit...shame on them.

lets see 2 JBL eon G2's One sub woofer, stands, cables, monitors at least one to hear yourself. And a mixer.
how much does all that weigh, not to mention cost?
How many trips to the car is that?
I'm not saying this system is for everybody or every situation, but I wonder why some people go to such great lengths to condemn what they don't understand.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 10-20-2005).]

#190422 - 10/20/05 12:29 PM Re: Bose PA questions
mikeathome1 Offline

I hope nobody in my town ever buys one, that way I know I'll have the best sound around.

#190423 - 10/20/05 03:30 PM Re: Bose PA questions
DonM Offline

I ordered one today. I will decide for myself after it arrives.
BTW, I got it from Musician's Friend and they matched the $1870. price that Guitar Center quoted. Also free shipping and no interest.
DonM

#190424 - 10/20/05 04:15 PM Re: Bose PA questions
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
I ordered one today.I got it from Musician's Friend. Also free shipping
and no interest.

"No interest"!?

I'd think a true musician's friend would show at least a little. Sorry, couldn't resist

DonM, I know the Bose PAS will compliment the sound of your SD1 nicely. Great combo. Enjoy.

#190425 - 10/20/05 04:26 PM Re: Bose PA questions
mikeathome1 Offline

That's where I got mine, MF, no interest, no sales tax, and free shipping and like you said matched the local Guitar Center which was having a grand opening at the time. Both owned by the same company they also took over the local yammie dealer and band instrument rental American Music I think was the name.
Not many indie music stores left around here.

Don't forget to twist that sub cable after you plug it in !
can't wait to hear your opinion

#190426 - 10/20/05 04:42 PM Re: Bose PA questions
travlin'easy Offline

Don,

You're gonna' love what you hear. Give me a call and I'll walk you through the setup. The key to success is to set the volumes exactly as the instruction manual says and you'll have no problems. And, if you need a longer sub cable, let me know and I'll be more than happy to custome make one for you.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#190427 - 10/20/05 06:07 PM Re: Bose PA questions
btweengigs Offline

Don...
Congratulations. Keep an open mind. You and your audiences are going to love it. It is different to be sure...but ohhhhhhhh so sweet.
Eddie

#190428 - 10/20/05 09:22 PM Re: Bose PA questions
Dnj Offline

Way to go Don..........you done good buddy

#190429 - 10/21/05 12:28 PM Re: Bose PA questions
keybplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
What a load of crap............thanx for the laugh my friend .....this is why I dont listen to any of this stuff.....and make MY own decision with my own ears!
I auditioned it, I bought it, I love its sound,
my audiences love it, my back loves it, my pocket loves it...Nufff Said

What part was the load of c*** Donny? I was pointing out some facts and giving you my opionion which I am free to do right?

Btw, I never said the PAS system was too heavy either.

I guess I can assume part of the load of c*** you were referring to was when I said: "If you don't mind the discrepancies and the added hassle to setup and tear down and the sound is adequate to your ears and more importantly to the audiences then more power to you" - since you didn't make a distinction from your post.

It is your money and you can sure do what you want with it Donny. I never implied anything different.

And when I made my statement about the PAS being 250W RMS I was referring directly from the Bose PAS Manual, nothing more nothing less. Only when I investigated further did I find that Bose "bridged" the Amps together increasing the Wattage. Too bad that info was not stated on their web site or more importantly in their Manual.

Step away from the computer and get some fresh air my friend. And while your at it smell the roses..

Best regards,
Mike

#190430 - 10/21/05 12:51 PM Re: Bose PA questions
Dnj Offline

Mike,
Sorry if I ruffled your feathers....but, I'll always speak my mind....yes, I respect your opinion pro or con........thats what forums are for, if ya give it ya gotta take it. If & when something ever comes on board thats better for me then the PAS I'll be there to try it for sure.......
Btw, sometimes those roses dont smell to nice

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-21-2005).]

#190431 - 10/21/05 01:22 PM Re: Bose PA questions
mikeathome1 Offline

Quote:

And when I made my statement about the PAS being 250W RMS I was referring directly from the Bose PAS Manual, nothing more nothing less. Only when I investigated further did I find that Bose "bridged" the Amps together increasing the Wattage. Too bad that info was not stated on their web site or more importantly in their Manual.
Best regards,
Mike

Can I ask if it's not on the web site or in the manual where did you get the information "when I investigated further" because I also would like to investigate further. Can you give us a link to the site or the article to which you are referring.
But the key here is people are buying and using this system because of the sound and performance not because of numbers they read on a piece of paper. I think it sounds great and if they can do that using 2 watts at 3/4 of an ohm with 6% THD and slew rate of 50 who cares.

"On this day in 1879, Thomas Edison invented the electric light bulb"

And I'm sure someone sitting home read the specs and said "that'll never work"

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 10-21-2005).]

#190432 - 10/24/05 01:09 PM Re: Bose PA questions
mikeathome1 Offline

Got an email from Bose today part of it reads
"Thank you for your interest in Bose Corporation.

There are twenty-four 2.25" drivers rate 4 ohms arranged vertically into the
flagpole-shaped enclosure. That is twelve drivers in each section that make up
the one cylindrical radiator."

Still would like to "investigate further"

#190433 - 10/24/05 01:36 PM Re: Bose PA questions
Dnj Offline

Go to Guitar center try one with your KB >>>buy one>>>>> keep it, or return it in 30 days

#190434 - 10/24/05 03:21 PM Re: Bose PA questions
MrEd Offline

Don't know if it was mentioned before but Bose has an offer on their website, something like ...

They will loan up to $2300 towards a PAS purchase with 0% interest, to be paid back over a max period of 12 months thru your major credit card, Visa, Master, etc.
A charge is made to your credit card each month.

Not bad if you really want one and you don't want to lay out all the cash at one time (before the holidays)

#190435 - 10/25/05 08:45 AM Re: Bose PA questions
mikeathome1 Offline

Actually I already have a PAS, and I like it by the way, I was just wondering when keybplayer said he "investigated further" where that was because I too would like to read the article or follow the research path that he used to reach his conclusions.

#190436 - 10/25/05 08:57 AM Re: Bose PA questions
travlin'easy Offline

I've been trying to find something posted along the same lines, and so far I cannot find anything similar to what Keyboadplayer describes. Please post the link so we can examine the document as well.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#190437 - 10/25/05 11:41 AM Re: Bose PA questions
DonM Offline

It just arrived. I'll be setting it up now. I only have 3 hours to tweak it before going to set up for my Tues, Wed, Thurs, job. I hope to be able to use it tonight.
DonM

#190438 - 10/25/05 12:40 PM Re: Bose PA questions
DonM Offline

Got it, plugged it in, turned it on, and it sounds great.
I am now going to install the OS upgrade now, but I don't see how it could sound much better.
I'll use it on the job tonight for the REAL test.
DonM

#190439 - 10/25/05 01:23 PM Re: Bose PA questions
DonM Offline

Upgrade installed. It's quite a process but I got through it o.k. You need a CD burner and a DVD player to upgrade.
Not sure whether I like the new settings as well as the original (#5) I was using.
Now to go set up in a real situation.
DonM

#190440 - 10/25/05 02:08 PM Re: Bose PA questions
Dnj Offline

Don......IMO nothing sounds better then #5 on BOTH L/R inputs.........is super clear & crisp just boost the bass on the remote channel 1&2 to the 2 O'clock position........

55 & 57 are a bit deeper..........but each KB settings + KB EQ's combined with the PAS settings will give different resuts to your ears........you made a wise choice ....enjoy!!

good luck

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-25-2005).]

#190441 - 10/25/05 02:40 PM Re: Bose PA questions
DonM Offline

OOOH, I like 55 a lot too. I think I'll go with that to start.
DonM

#190442 - 10/25/05 03:03 PM Re: Bose PA questions
mikeathome1 Offline

You're gonna go home after the first set to let us know what you think...right?

I'll bet you didn't have to check to see if the sub was working did ya?

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 10-25-2005).]

#190443 - 10/25/05 03:07 PM Re: Bose PA questions
travlin'easy Offline

I talked with Don on the phone just about an hour ago, he was happy as a clam. He also said the kid at the store had no idea what he was doing and he sure didn't have the sub hooked up right. I'm sure he'll provide us with a glowing review later this evening or tomorrow morning.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#190444 - 10/25/05 09:03 PM Re: Bose PA questions
DonM Offline

Just got in from the job. I must admit that the Bose is all that was advertised. I started out using #5, and it sounded really good, then I decided to try #55, and it sounded even better.
I got lots of great comments from customers and staff alike, about how clear and smooth the sound was. The thing is really powerful too. I had the inputs on the base at 5, and the inputs on the remote a little less than 5. The master was barely cracked, maybe 2 or 3. The bass is strong and solid, the mids and highs crisp and clear.
I can't wait to get it in a place where I can really crank it up.
I placed the column a few feet behind me and to the right and the subcabinet just in front of it, directly to my side. That's the only place I had room, because the duo that's there on the weekend left their huge Yamaha speakers and powered mixer plus a table on the bandstand.
I put on a midi file and took my cordless mic and walked all around the room. The sound carries remarkably well, not very directional at all.
I plugged cables from the left and right outputs of the SD1 directly into channels one and two of the Bose. I plugged the output of the laptop directly into channels three and four of the Bose, so I could play MP3s on my breaks. Everything worked great. I will streamline the cables a little when I get a chance.
So far, I must give the Bose an A Plus.
I will try to get HankB over there tomorrow night to critique and see if any tweaking is needed.
Thanks for all the help and advice, guys!
DonM

#190445 - 10/26/05 05:42 AM Re: Bose PA questions
travlin'easy Offline

Like I said earlier--You're gonna' love what you hear, and your customers will love it more! BTW, I was mistaken when I told you my preset was 57--I looked last night and it was 55.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#190446 - 10/26/05 06:10 AM Re: Bose PA questions
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Just got in from the job. I must admit that the Bose is all that was advertised. I started out using #5, and it sounded really good, then I decided to try #55, and it sounded even better.
I got lots of great comments from customers and staff alike, about how clear and smooth the sound was. The thing is really powerful too. I had the inputs on the base at 5, and the inputs on the remote a little less than 5. The master was barely cracked, maybe 2 or 3. The bass is strong and solid, the mids and highs crisp and clear.
I can't wait to get it in a place where I can really crank it up.
I placed the column a few feet behind me and to the right and the subcabinet just in front of it, directly to my side. That's the only place I had room, because the duo that's there on the weekend left their huge Yamaha speakers and powered mixer plus a table on the bandstand.
I put on a midi file and took my cordless mic and walked all around the room. The sound carries remarkably well, not very directional at all.
I plugged cables from the left and right outputs of the SD1 directly into channels one and two of the Bose. I plugged the output of the laptop directly into channels three and four of the Bose, so I could play MP3s on my breaks. Everything worked great. I will streamline the cables a little when I get a chance.
So far, I must give the Bose an A Plus.
I will try to get HankB over there tomorrow night to critique and see if any tweaking is needed.
Thanks for all the help and advice, guys!
DonM

Don.....Its gonna get better every time you use it on stage.....I keep the gain pods on the base for 1&2 at about 9......gain on the remote at 12 oclock..........Master remote at 11oclock......then just control levels from the KB master etc etc ........
The PAS wil do you right!

#190447 - 10/26/05 08:54 AM Re: Bose PA questions
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
I wish I were a public performer just to have an excuse to buy a PAS; I have always been a fan of the Bose "indirect" sound concept for my home stereo system (purchased almost every series of Bose 901 till # V).
Don, congratulations for your new purchase: I am sure that you will enjoy it for many years to come! Besides the terrific sound, the design is so !

#190448 - 10/26/05 09:37 PM Re: Bose PA questions
DonM Offline

Second night with the Bose. Tonight I didn't use a preset, just ran them on zero, and did all the e.q.ing from the keyboard. I'm pretty sure I like it better that way, because my mic is coming out of the keyboard mix also.
A couple of top entertainers happened in and sat there with their mouths open when they heard the sound. They came up to the bandstand and couldn't believe what they were hearing and seeing.
Then the number one sound technician in the area came in specifically to hear the Bose. He was totally overwhelmed by it too, and he isn't one to hand out praise loosely.
Needless to say, I am very pleased with this system for my purposes.
DonM

#190449 - 10/27/05 06:14 AM Re: Bose PA questions
Dnj Offline

#190450 - 10/27/05 08:38 PM Re: Bose PA questions
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hee Hee ............. finally!

#190451 - 10/27/05 10:03 PM Re: Bose PA questions
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Uncle Dave,

is that you....?

It's great to see you back

How is married live? I love every bit of it and I'm coming up with my 15 year aniversary.

You guys gotta stop posting and bragging about the Bose.
It seems like that after I recoverd from my T2 buy I gotta give the Bose a serious test drive....

Eric

#190452 - 10/27/05 10:05 PM Re: Bose PA questions
DonM Offline

Eric,
Dave decided he liked single life better!
He's BAAAACK.
DonM

#190453 - 10/27/05 11:11 PM Re: Bose PA questions
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Eric,
Dave decided he liked single life better!
He's BAAAACK.
DonM

Sad but True, either way he's my good bud

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-27-2005).]

#190454 - 10/28/05 06:04 AM Re: Bose PA questions
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Don,

I'm glad the PAS suits you, and you can confirm a lot of what has been said by many of us. The kind of comments you are getting from your audiences are pretty much what I hear from my audiences too!
Some comments I got until now:
- hey, where's the other stick?
- I just see one, where's the other?
- is all this sound coming from this tiny thing?
- it isn't stereo but it seems the sound comes from everywhere...

-- José.

#190455 - 10/28/05 07:25 AM Re: Bose PA questions
DonM Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Route 66:
Don,

I'm glad the PAS suits you, and you can confirm a lot of what has been said by many of us. The kind of comments you are getting from your audiences are pretty much what I hear from my audiences too!
Some comments I got until now:
- hey, where's the other stick?
- I just see one, where's the other?
- is all this sound coming from this tiny thing?
- it isn't stereo but it seems the sound comes from everywhere...

-- José.

Jose, Exactly!
I will be setting everything up at home today to see how I can optimize my setup.
It took me nearly 30 minutes to break down, pack up and load last night. I believe I can get that down to 10 minutes with organization and planning.
DonM
DonM

#190456 - 10/28/05 07:30 AM Re: Bose PA questions
Dnj Offline

Don.....your going to have to make a simple wire harness with plastic cable wrap from Radio shack for the PAS plugs on one end /the KB on the other & then it's just a 1,2,3, hook up takes me all of 10 minutes total setup!

#190457 - 10/28/05 07:39 AM Re: Bose PA questions
travlin'easy Offline

Ditto! Since I harnessed the cables and made a longer sub cable, everything goes together in 10 to 12 minutes tops. I love this system!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#190458 - 10/28/05 07:47 AM Re: Bose PA questions
DonM Offline

Actually I already had the cables harnessed for my mixer, so I was able to use that. It's mostly a matter of transportation. I have laptop, pedals, mics, etc. I had it all really well organized before, and it's just a matter of spending a few minutes doing it again.
Remember, I took the PAS to the job about 3 hours after UPS dropped it off, and it's been there since.
Thanks for all the help guys.
I'm going to Hank's to pick up the Midjay again, now that I have time to experiment with it. Who knows, I may be able to do away with the van and get a VW to haul everything in!
DonM

#190459 - 10/28/05 09:01 AM Re: Bose PA questions
synerjim Offline

MidJay-Bose PAS Users,
You're all right! This is the most compact system i've ever owned. Everything fits on my small Honda Civic Hybrid trunk. The Bose PAS base sit on the rear, my wife next to me & my son on the other rear seat.
Regards,
Jimmy

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#190460 - 10/28/05 11:51 AM Re: Bose PA questions
DonM Offline

I just got a call to do a job Sunday at an automobile race track. It's a picnic and awards ceremony (no racing). I did it a couple years ago with two JBL Powered Eon 15s, and while the people up front were blasted away, the ones down the bleachers away couldn't hear.
This will be the ultimate test for the Bose. There should be 6-700 people there at least.
DonM

#190461 - 10/28/05 04:08 PM Re: Bose PA questions
DonM Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by synerjim:
MidJay-Bose PAS Users,
You're all right! This is the most compact system i've ever owned. Everything fits on my small Honda Civic Hybrid trunk. The Bose PAS base sit on the rear, my wife next to me & my son on the other rear seat.
Regards,
Jimmy

I plan to put the Bose in the FRONT and make the family ride in back!
DonM

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online