SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#190344 - 02/11/05 05:15 AM Re: headset microphone
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
In my limited experience with headphone mics, I find that a compressor/limiter is almost mandantory. I'm pretty sure Gary uses the one built into the PSR3000. This limits the loud passages and brings up the soft ones, and is customizable.
DonM

#190345 - 02/11/05 05:16 AM Re: headset microphone
HankB Offline

Loc: Bossier City, La. USA
After talking to Gary I’m considering a headphone mic. Since I added my midjay I had to have a two-tier stand so the mike attachment for my x-stand doesn’t work properly.

I have considered my like of experience in not working the mic for loud passages, but my psr3000 has limiter capabilities, which might solve this problem.

#190346 - 02/11/05 05:27 AM Re: headset microphone
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Hankster, you are too old a dog to learn new tricks.
We're leaving for Bastrop in 30 minutes--wanna go?
Don

#190347 - 02/11/05 06:30 AM Re: headset microphone
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I also have a deep voice and this has never been a problem with any of my mics other than the SM-58. Several months ago I posted some MP3 comparisons on this site and let everyone decide for themselves. There were a half dozen songs, some with the Crown 311-A and some with the Sennheiser E-855. No one knew which mic was which until the responses were in.

Most of those that responded thought the songs performed with the Crown were actually done with the Sennheiser. Upon discovering which songs were recorded using the Crown, the vast majority of the respondants were astonished at the crisp, clear sound the mic produced.

As for singing technique, that's a different story. Every song on my website {url=http://travlineasy.com]Travlin' Easy[/url] was recorded using the Crown CM-311-A. I don't yell into a mic (never have), I'm able to control my levels without changing position from the mic, and I don't believe I've had to cough more than a half-dozen times in the past 4 years during a performance (just lucky I guess).

As I said earlier, headset mics are not for everyone. Some folks even felt that they were not professional looking, but I would argue that point. A lot of today's singers use headset mics, they do incredibly long show, put a lot of feeling into their vocals and the quality is outstanding. I've never heard anyone say Garth Brooks doesn't look professional because he doesn't have a handheld mic. The same holds true for a significant number of top entertainers.

Most headset mics are not very comfortable--and I'm in the process of modifying one of mine to solve the problem. Some have bulky windscreens, however, this too can be overcome by going to a smaller windscreen, which is usually available.

I sincerely believe the best attribute of a headset mic is the freedom it offers, while at the same time provding high-quality vocals. You can maintain good eye contact with your audience, see your keyboard, make changes on the fly and still be singing without worrying about your relationship to the mic. For me, the headset mic has been a great asset. For others, it may not be.

I think the most unfortunate thing about purchasing any mic is the store's policy about returns. Most stores claim that they cannot take mics back because health department regulations do not allow this. WHAT A CROCK! I checked with the Department of Health & Mental Hygine in several states and they almost laughed when I told them about this policy. I, obviously, did not check every state, however, of the five that I did, none had any such regulation or law on the books.

If you know of someone with a headset mic, ask to try it out for an hour or two--then make up your own mind based on that experience. Like I said, they're not for everyone!

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online