Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#190303 - 08/30/03 08:06 AM Re: Ready for Hyper Canvas
Dnj Offline

#190304 - 08/30/03 08:28 AM Re: Ready for Hyper Canvas
Wazza Offline

Loc: Sonnega, Friesland, The Nether...
Never mind,

I found a way already, I ran the synth on cubase and used midi yoke to send the data from vanbasco to cubase, It didn't work correctly on cakewalk though.

Greetz ,
Wazza

#190305 - 08/30/03 08:33 AM Re: Ready for Hyper Canvas
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

DonM, yes it will work similar to the Yamaha softsynth.

Wazza, you are right in that the Edirol HQ Sound Canvas needs a DX or VST host, e.g., Brainspawn, Console, Cubase or Sonar (if you already have these programs), etc. In addition, you have to attach your media player to the Host. You can do this using a number of alternatives, e.g., Midi Yoke (free), Ntonyx Matrix, MidiOverLan, Hubi Cables, etc. I often use Midi Yoke with good success. I believe the person who developed this software works for Cakewalk.

Finally, to satisfy yourself that everything works as it should you can download a demo of Edirol HQ Softsynth and test it before you lay down your hard earned cash. I have tested it and it works well on both of my regular computers with Windows XP.

#190306 - 08/30/03 08:41 AM Re: Ready for Hyper Canvas

Wazza, we must have responded at the same time.

As you know you need to download the appropriate DXi or VSTi version of the Edirol HQ Sound Canvas. In Cakewalk, you would need the DXi version or use their VST Adapter to convert to DXi. Given that Roland and Cakewalk have launched a partnership, I am certain if it doesn't work in Sonar it will very soon. I tested it in Sonar and it works. Sometimes it takes some expermintation with the drivers, e.g., WDM vs ASIO, setting of these drivers and so on.

You should not have to revoice any of the midis (assuming they are GM/GS). The HQ Sound Canvas does a good job of accepting Program Changes.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 08-30-2003).]

#190307 - 08/30/03 08:54 AM Re: Ready for Hyper Canvas

I need to make a correction here, i.e., the Edirol HQ Hyper Canvas weighs in at 26 mb not 16 as I indicated earlier.

#190308 - 08/30/03 09:20 AM Re: Ready for Hyper Canvas
STAM Offline

Loc: Brussels, BELGIUM
Hi to all

Just 2 question:

With a laptop like that, what will be the latency if Hyper canvas is used in a live situation?

Can hypercanvas be used as softsynth with a soft arranger like omb?

Thanks

#190309 - 08/30/03 02:09 PM Re: Ready for Hyper Canvas

STAM, I am not certain what the built in sound chips are like for LTs, but on my regular PC and my VSL2020 soundcard I can operate the HQ Hyper Canvas at 2.9 ms. This is much better than hardware synths. In short, you notice no latency. In fact, anything less than 10 ms is good enough with the possible exception of drums and pianos played live.

You could use the HQ Hyper Canvas with OMB and Yamaha styles but you would need to tranpose the drum kits and ensure selection of appropriate drum kits for the styles. Otherwise you will end up with howling dogs, handclaps or other strange things (electronic kit instead of brush).

I should have noted that with the spec of Fran's Laptop he will be able to do all the things I currently do on my regular PCs - Kontakt, LiveSynth Pro, B4, Vocalizer, Live - Styler, Cubase SX and Project5 all running at the same time. He may need to get a Firewire HD, more memory and an Outboard Soundcard like Echo. On some of the other forums I attend, live (undead ones) entertainers are doing just that with a dumb keyboard attached. Small incremental costs for a rich man like Fran!!!

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 08-30-2003).]

#190310 - 08/30/03 03:33 PM Re: Ready for Hyper Canvas
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
On some of the other forums I attend, live entertainers are doing just that with a dumb keyboard attached.

Frank explain this a bit more please......

#190311 - 08/30/03 05:41 PM Re: Ready for Hyper Canvas

DNJ, on the Northern Sound Source, Tascam and Native Instruments Forums there are a few entertainers moving towards Laptops with midi controller keyboards for their live performances. With a carefully tweaked Windows XP LT the reliability of these systems equals that of regular keyboards. The sound quality greatly exceeds that of any high end keyboards (workstations or arrangers). In any event, if people are spooked by the use of this approach you could always use a Tyros, Motif or Fantom as your controller keyboard and revert to these sounds, albeit at a lower quality, should your LT fail.

#190312 - 08/30/03 05:47 PM Re: Ready for Hyper Canvas
Dnj Offline

Frank.....are they using these Kb's/Lt combos as arrangers or straight synths?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online