SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#189888 - 10/11/04 08:39 AM How do you fill your schedule?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I'm wondering how you guys do it who say that you are full-time. I believe you! But how do you do it?

For normal gigs, Thu, Fri, Sat, maybe Sun. I mean in bars. Which I hate because of smoke. Still working on that. Hey, there's a bar/coffeehouse here that is SMOKE-FREE. Yes, there is a God.

Anyway... senior homes... private parties... corporate gigs... what else?

As for corporate stuff, have you done anything to solicit those? Or any gigs, have you done anything that helps you get them?

#189889 - 10/11/04 08:52 AM Re: How do you fill your schedule?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I'm wondering too... I'm thinking of going solo from my duo/trio group (maybe as soon as next year), but I hear some owners comment about our small group, "This isn't a one man band, is it?" I'm thinking, OMBs aren't popular here or this guy's had some bad experiences with OMBs. Where do we start looking for new clients?

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 10-11-2004).]

#189890 - 10/11/04 09:46 AM Re: How do you fill your schedule?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'm lucky that I do work (daytime) for most of the big companies in the area, and know people in State and local Government.

The thoroughbred farm owners have lots of dinners and parties. They ask me to play for any of them.

I have been a long-time member of the University of Kentucky faculty/alumni club and they have entertainment for club sponsored events and suggest entertainment to members who have events there.

The restaurant I work in the summer is one of the most popular in the area. Generally, by the end of the summer season, I have 150 jobs booked for the winter.

Mostly, I'm part of the "furniture", and people call me out of habit. I also get work (graphics, research, video production, package design, etc.)for my production company from the people who hire me to play.

I've been lucky...

Russ

#189891 - 10/11/04 10:59 AM Re: How do you fill your schedule?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If you can't keep busy in this business, you're not researching your markets very thoroughly, or you're not doing a consistent job of promoting your talents.

Essentially, you play day and night, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, private parties, nursing homes, retirement centers, assisted living facilities, store openings, malls, any place where there's even a remote possibility of entertaining. I've been performing every year for the past four years for a million dollar diamond sale at a local jewlery store. It pays far more than any nite-club job, no smoke, no drunks and lots of attractive ladies who love the music.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#189892 - 10/11/04 04:39 PM Re: How do you fill your schedule?
Ender4TrackMind Offline

"If you can't keep busy in this business, you're not researching your markets very thoroughly, or you're not doing a consistent job of promoting your talents."

Agree...
http://www.musicbizacademy.com/bookstore/musiciansatlas.htm.

Its been around eight years (somewhat new ":P), but is overlooked.

#189893 - 10/12/04 06:31 AM Re: How do you fill your schedule?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I focus on restaurants. I currently play almost every night of the week and twice on Sundays, with private parties, weddings, receptions and odd gigs in between. Long ago I purposely moved to an area with a high percentage of restaraunts and upscale lounges to establish my market, and I've worked other jobs on the side until I built my clientel to the full-time levels it is at now.

I found that the way to generate income is to work the room, not just play it. I use my breaks to meet/greet people, pass out song lists and take requests (in other words, I really don't take breaks). Between tips and CD sales I can generate an additional 25-50% over what my client pays me. Not only that but once you makes freinds with people, even in the short term, they will follow you from place to place which is known as a "following" - which gets you rehired.

You have to plan for going solo financially by reducing your debts/bills to low levels and building savings for lean times and unexpected gig cancellations. Having a supportive and employed spouse doesn't hurt either.

You've got to really want to do it with all your heart. It shows, and you'll get support from the audience if you can convince them that you are a full-time muso because you should be.

#189894 - 10/12/04 06:38 AM Re: How do you fill your schedule?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
That's a good post, Pro. Say, do you sing? Just curious. I don't play that well, you guys on here run circles around me on keys, I'm a newbie on piano. Just curious if you play piano only or sing, too.

What kind of music do these restaurants want you to play?

#189895 - 10/12/04 07:14 AM Re: How do you fill your schedule?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Keeping bookings up entails several different tasks.

All the stuff written above certainly applies...I'll try and add some other things that they didn't go into.

Administrative areas... Basically searching for leads, possible venues, etc at all times. The jewelry store gig is a great example. Be organised in your communications. You should know, exactly from your records who to speak to at different venues, when you spoke with them last time, what was discussed, etc...If someone says call me back in 3 months...you should have a reminder somewhere that will prompt you to do so.

I have a file set up for my larger accounts...and I enter notes, reminders, requests, etc into each clients file after I perform there. It may be six weeks or so before I'm back there...but having that info detailed and available to me, I can review it on a Monday or Tuesday and walk into the club on Friday all ready to go. It has made a diference.

Search your area entertainment listings in your paper, weeklies, internet database listings, etc...Find out where other acts are performing and approach any that are a good fit. No one cares how you develop a new lead.

Agents are typically very low on the food chain and not worth your efforts.

Pro's comment about location is dead on. Dayton's night life is pretty lame...so most of my business comes from nursing homes, corproate/civic events and lots of private parties...I'm actually in Pittsburgh, PA this morning...I'm performing here all week...while I also visit my parents. (I grew up here) Its unreal how many more places there are around here to perform in compared to Dayton...

It almost makes me sick to think about, lol...

I have 3 girls (9-16)...and the wife is an RN is in the middle of her Masters to become a Nurse Practitioner, so to uproot everyone would be difficult. Not to mention potentially hazardous to my health, lol...

That said...My time in the 'Burgh this week is all about planting seeds for the future. I did 2 shows yesterday and they already want to know how they can book me again when I'm in the area...5 more by the time I head home. Over time, I'll develop a client base in Pittsburgh as well as the one already up & running in Dayton. The idea is my folks and sisters live here...so at worst-I can always book a few shows when I'm in town...at best, maybe the client lists grows to such a degree that at the time the kids are gone and Patty's got her Masters Degree, moving back wouldn't really be that hard...

Newsletters, schedules, websites, etc...are all good peices of the marketing puzzle...

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 10-12-2004).]

#189896 - 10/13/04 06:27 PM Re: How do you fill your schedule?
MrEd Offline

You guys have many good suggestions and leads.

Lately, I've been seeing more compliments being paid in guest books to clubs, businesses, organizations etc, and at the same time, the complimentor leaves a line or 2 of info about themselves and even email/website links.

The advantage here is that it don't cost anything, you can do it at your convenience, day ot night, and there are many viewers to the book. You never know who's reading the book. The info could fall into the hands of someone on the entertainment committee somewhere.

Its not much work for the potential to increase exposure and maybe snag a few referrals. A bigger advantage is having your own website. Your samples will handle the auditioning and the average viewer(s) to that guest book might start demanding CDs from you!

(I can dream big, can't I)

#189897 - 10/13/04 06:39 PM Re: How do you fill your schedule?
Dnj Offline

You can market your brains out, thats easy...BUT...you better "have the goods"
when you perform for people or you'll develope a negative aura that will spread like wildfire between clients which is suicide.

#189898 - 10/13/04 08:43 PM Re: How do you fill your schedule?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
That's a good post, Pro. Say, do you sing? Just curious. I don't play that well, you guys on here run circles around me on keys, I'm a newbie on piano. Just curious if you play piano only or sing, too.

What kind of music do these restaurants want you to play?

Thanks. I don't sing anymore. My vocal range has always been very limited and I have never been comfortable with lead singing, but I've always been a strong player. I feel like I'm getting better at playing expressively now that I no longer distracted by having to sing... the keyboard is my voice in a real sense. I also think people enjoy seeing really good keyboarding. It's an honor when parents bring children up to watch me. Gotta go with your strengths of course, but for me to compete with other OMB's I had to carve my own market out of an existing one. One of my main selling points is that you can clearly talk over my music even seated close to the stage - my audience tends to be older, and I really don't play as loud as most OMB's even though I play in good sized rooms. And so far nobody in my area sounds quite I do. So I bring something that restaurants like and makes them look good.

Honestly the music is left up to me. I try to be tasteful, contemporary and eclectic while still playing recognizable tunes from all eras. It's a wide variety; everything from "As Time Goes By" to "Wicked Game", and I encourage requests. I also like to throw in memory-ticklers and watch people as they struggle with them.

There's lots of good dialog here on this topic, and if I can add one point: one thing that helped me this year was that I coordinated my marketing/advertising materials and got serious about them. I designed a good logo and bought the best business cards I could find. I also collected the email addresses of every one involved in F&B in my area, not just restaraunts but caterers, wedding planners, special events coordinators, golf courses, civic groups, boating clubs, etc. and I send out a little note now and then. I get my clients to print my logo in their ads. I had some T-shirts made up and I'm looking at other small promo items. It adds up, and now every potential client in my area has likely heard of me in advance. My advice is to invest in quality when getting your advertising materials together, especially in a nice business card that doesn't look like it came off your home computer. People love a class act.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online