SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#189517 - 11/07/04 02:27 PM performance assist - video
gravedigger Offline

Loc: Czech rep
see the video of PSR K1 at this page (almost at the bottom) http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha_euro...ovies/index.php
jarda

#189518 - 11/07/04 03:57 PM Re: performance assist - video
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Jarda, thanks for the video link. Viewing the video and seeing the performance assist feature demoed by Michael Voncken is fasinating (from a techology point of view) but TOTALLY DEPRESSING from a musical standpoint whatsoever. I certainly hope this isn't what professional musical entertainment is going to end up turning into.

If that's the case, we'll no longer be needed anymore to entertain, even at nursing homes, as the old folks will be able to simply 'entertain each other', making music by simply wacking at the keyboard with their canes. For more discussion re the Yamaha PSR3000 'performance assist' feature: http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009275.html

Scott

#189519 - 11/07/04 07:09 PM Re: performance assist - video
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I certainly hope this isn't what professional musical entertainment is going to end up turning into.Scott

Scott look around its already there my friend....computers technology has dealt the world a new hand regarding musical entertainment....find "Your Niche" and enjoy the ride while it lasts...everyone wants a piece of the pie and will use whatever means available to do it......if the listening public accepts it as they are doing so far it will grow and grow, regardless of purist shmurists atitudes... thats the cold hard reality in a cold hard world.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-07-2004).]

#189520 - 11/08/04 04:38 AM Re: performance assist - video
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Watching that video really gives me some mixed emotions.

On one hand, it's very cool that the kb can offer the performance assistance as it does. It seems to me to be a midi enhacer kb more than anything else. I think seniors will NOT find this to be a suitable keyboard, however. Typically...a higher percentage of older people actually took music lessons (usually piano) than we find today. They want to be able to play...not sit there feeling that they're not needed. (Sound familiar?) The comment I hear most often from seniors who "have a keyboard-but it doesn't sound like mine" is that they'd like to be able to take advantage of the features their kb offers, but no one can explain it to them,

Hmmm...maybe I've discovered another business niche around Dayton.

Another thought I have is what professional musician in their right mind would use the Perf. assist. on a job? Maybe for some unique circumstance but on a regular basis? Not for me!

You can, however count on some guy/gal somewhere buying one of these, loading it up with midi files and gigging with it. If they can get work that way...I'd give them some credit for getting that far...

But...

Can they sing?

Sounds to me like taking requests might cause heartburn for them...

Dancer/guest: Hi! My wife wants to hear "fill in the blank" will you play it?

Musician: "Gee sorry, I don't have that midi file..."

...its a different kind of cat who'll gig with this kb in performance assistance mode...One that the full timers here probably don't need to worry about.

Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 11-08-2004).]

#189521 - 11/08/04 07:27 AM Re: performance assist - video
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I agree with Uncle Dave's original post. We just happen to be on the starting edge of this technology. Someone will make good use of the performance assistant whether we like it or not. Is anyone really afraid that talent will ever be fully negated?

#189522 - 11/08/04 07:38 AM Re: performance assist - video
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
I agree with Uncle Dave's original post. We just happen to be on the starting edge of this technology. Someone will make good use of the performance assistant whether we like it or not. Is anyone really afraid that talent will ever be fully negated?

There are at least two ex-keyboard one-man-bands here who have quit doing it because they can make so much more money being a DJ. Although I don't advertise it, I also do a DJ job now and then, and it usually pays significantly more than live music. Still, at least that's an honest thing. You don't pretend to be playing an instrument.
DonM

#189523 - 11/08/04 08:35 AM Re: performance assist - video
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Don, I don't understand why you quoted me. Did I say something wrong or earth shattering?

#189524 - 11/08/04 08:38 AM Re: performance assist - video
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Although I don't advertise it, I also do a DJ job now and then, and it usually pays significantly more than live music. Still, at least that's an honest thing. You don't pretend to be playing an instrument.
DonM

I agree with Don M..LIVE, MP3, SMF, DJ, etc.... I just MIX up "ALL" the "TOOLS" that I need to "build the house" I have no need for the "purist" attitudes, its a "new game" with new players out there my friends ....I just do what I do, and do it Very Well, and get paid Very Well for doing it, the way that I do it for the last 35 years+ to make a good living nuff said!

Jam On

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-08-2004).]

#189525 - 11/08/04 09:04 AM Re: performance assist - video
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Don, I don't understand why you quoted me. Did I say something wrong or earth shattering?

Oh no, I was AGREEING with you, about being on the cutting edge of technology. True talent won't ever be negated, but it may be harder and harder to showcase that talent, when a lot of consumers don't seem to care. They just want to dance!
There is no right or wrong here, just opinions and discussion.
Don

#189526 - 11/08/04 10:54 AM Re: performance assist - video
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
True talent won't ever be negated, but it may be harder and harder to showcase that talent, when a lot of consumers don't seem to care.

I agree, but I want to add that I believe one of the other reasons less people appear to notice or care about actual musicianship, is because the arts & music education (both band, orchestra & music history & appreciation) have suffered neglect in public school education over the years, with school ciriculum geared only to classes which promote careers that reap as much money as possible.

In the not so distant past, both television (variety shows like Ed Sullivan) & major radio stations presented a broad range of music (from classical, jazz, folk, and rock) which gave people both exposure and the apprecation for different types of music.

The entertainment corporation giants have since discovered that to make huger profits for their advertisers, they needed to create radio & tv stations aimed only at a specific segment of the population. Unfortunately, the American public suffers, as not surprsingly, many young people today have never heard of Beethoveen, Mozart, or even Gershwin. They only equate music with rap & hip hop artists because they only watch MTV. This leads me to me to the belief that begining of the downfall of listening to and appreciating music for music sake, began with MTV. Try turning OFF the picture on a lot of those music videos and tell me how satisfying the music alone sounds.

I get the feeling from the posts from some of the pro's here, that the measure of success is how much money you make, or how many gigs you play a week. Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but the financial rewards of making music is not the driving force behind my passion for music & performing. As with the other arts (painting, photography, writing, etc) there are many types and levels of art to choose from. People pursue these in different ways and to pursue different goals. My personal goal in music is to preserve the appreciation of classic american pop standards for future generations. What brings me most personal satisfaction is when people in the audience who are in their twenties come up to me and tell me how much I have broadened their appreciation for classic pop standards, and that because of me, they have now added sinatra to their CD of collection. The fact that I'm able to make a living at this, because there are enough people willing to pay me, is just the icing on the cake.

I view the arranger keyboard, not so much for its OMB potential to make more money, but more as a tool which allows me to 'perform independently', freeing me from the things that can go wrong when working with other musicians: endless rehearsals, flakey no shows, and disagreements between band members.

Everyone here must decide their own music career path, as everyone has different priorities. Perhaps it's because I live in a large metropolitan area where arts & music appreciation flourish, and that is the reason there are enough people here who enjoy going out to actually sit and 'listen' to live music. Will I get rich quick, perhaps not, but I'm certainly financially comfortable, so I will continue to do what I love most, passing on the american tradition of classic pop music.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online