SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#188626 - 01/09/02 07:17 PM Nanoverb
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Please save me from going nuts. I've been without a reverb. However I have a stereo Amp.

Please recommend settings for Jazz and R&R ballads and any other particular settings for different types of songs ou might like.

This nanoverb is new to me.
Thanks
Boo

#188627 - 01/09/02 08:01 PM Re: Nanoverb
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hey there Boo, I thought you were (already) nuts!. Just kidding of course...

The Alesis Nanoverb is a great little box which I used to take along for my vocals (before going the 'built in' vocal efx arranger route). There really is NO right efx type setting to use. I would just experiment with different presets/levels and find the one that suits 'your' fancy. My personal favs seem to be the vocal plates.

Just remember, that for jazz stuff, you want to keep the efx to a level which isn'nt outwardly noticeable. I typically start with the efx OFF, and SLOWLY turn it up just enough to enhance the voice (or instrument) but not overpower.

#188628 - 01/09/02 10:52 PM Re: Nanoverb
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Boo,
Are you running the FX through a loop, or pluging your mic directly into the nano? It makes a difference, and what stereo amp did you get?

#188629 - 01/11/02 01:11 PM Re: Nanoverb
brickboo Offline

Dave,

I'm still using the RMS(brand)75watt stereo mixer with no reverb.

I have my mike plugged into the ih Harmonizer (made by ivl technologies). Then I go from the left out of the ih into the left input on the nano verb.

Can you give me a suggestion for Jazz and R&R ballads. Tunes like: Bewitched, Someone to Watch Over Me, Since I fell For You, Goodnight My Love, Tears On My Pillow etc.

I don't think I need reverb for Uptempo, do you? Such as Boot Scootin Boogie, Mabellene, Shake Rattle And Roll?

Thanks guys for your help. Like I said reverb is new to me.
Boo

#188630 - 01/11/02 01:29 PM Re: Nanoverb
Uncle Dave Offline

I usually don't change the reverb level within a performance, except to turn it OFF for speaking, so there should be a nice common ground sound that will work for most songs.
If you don't use the L&R out's, naturally - you are still in mono..... how come?
Pick a Hall reverb to start with, and turn the mix knob fully LEFT. (off) then say the word "check" while you emphasise the "Ch" sound ..... gradually turn the mix knob to the RIGHT till you hear the CH trail off for about 2-3 seconds. You'll find that if the input level is hot enough - you won't ned to turn the mix up too far. Certainly not as far as the 12:00 position. Should be more in the 8-9 o'clock range... depending on mic signal of course.
Basically, you just want to fill up the holes (smooth it out) it will add alot if done with taste or make it sound like a canyon if you overdo it.
It will also make it easier to sing some songs because you'll have a natural "flow" happening that makes some dead rooms hard to sing in. A nice "live" room is such a treat to sing in .... just don't make it sound like a tiled bathroom - that's good for the ego, but makes you sloppy in the long run !
At Temple, we always ran scales in the halls because of the natural reverb. Made us sound like a million !

#188631 - 01/11/02 01:32 PM Re: Nanoverb
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Brickboo,
You got it right re: reverb. I generally turn up the reverb on slower tunes and down on uptempo ones, but I never turn it off completely, even on 'Boot Scootin' Boogie'.
- Scott

#188632 - 01/11/02 01:41 PM Re: Nanoverb
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
You mean "Boot Scotty Boogie?"

#188633 - 01/11/02 01:41 PM Re: Nanoverb
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Brooks and Dunn perform around here quite a bit because they are from the area. When they do BS Boogie live they use a little reverb AND a little delay. Of course it depends on the room as to how much effects are needed.
Personally, I probably tend to use too much effects as I feel my voice needs all the help it can get, but I use a lot less than I used to.
DonM

#188634 - 01/16/02 07:59 PM Re: Nanoverb
brickboo Offline

Reverb and using the harmonizer seems rather tricky. I'm not sure that I like the two together.

any suggestions

#188635 - 01/16/02 09:39 PM Re: Nanoverb
Uncle Dave Offline

Boo,
One simple rule .......
If it SOUNDS like crap ....itr IS crap.
(no offence) Just tweak the level till it's just barely noticable, and then push it TOO far so it sounds like a cave ....... back it off till "normal" comes back.
There is no right way - just whatever sounds good. Some people sound absolutly marvelous without ANY reverb. John Pizzerelli jr likes that dry vocal sound, and I love his stuff.
It's all a question of balances - what works for what room etc......
Keep at it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online