SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#188536 - 02/09/03 01:11 PM SP500
seanbaker Offline

I'm interested in this keyboard. Does anyone have one? I have some questions. Is there anyway to assign portamento to the sounds or pitch bend or modulation using the pedal or something?

#188537 - 02/11/03 09:06 AM Re: SP500
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
I don't own the SP-500 but here's some things to think about before you possibly purchase it. No onboard storage capability except the songs you record ON the SP-500. No Floppy Disk drive, no HDD, no Smart Media that I am aware of. Yes, you can use the SP-500 with your computer and a sequencing software program to playback midi files on the Keyboard. But what if your Gigging, or traveling with the Keyboard and their IS no computer? You would have to have a Notebook computer with a Midi In/Out connection to take along with you. All that said I think it has great sounds Sean. There is mp3 demo files on the Korg web site and they sound very good. It has very good Piano, Guitar, Organ, and even a good Harmonica sound. Plus I am sure many, many other great sounds. And you get 88 keys too with real weighted Hammer Action. It could prove challenging to play along with the accompaniment though when you play Guitar, Violin, Trumpet, etc., because of the weighted action. It weighs in at a moderate 42.77 lbs. giving the impression that it would be a very solidly built product that would last you a long time. Music123's has it for $1,449 which is 1/2 the price of the SD1 or Tyros. But you won't get same features though. But you do get 88 Keys.

Best regards,
Mike
PS: It all depends on what your needs are Sean. If you don't want or need Storage capability (besides the ability to store your own recordings that you make on the SP-500) then the SP-500 sounds like it would be something to look into.
Another PS: As to your question regarding the assigning of the Pedal to Portamento or Pitch Bend, etc., the Korg specs don't state that. It says the Pedal controls only the Sostenuto effect. Fire off an email to Korg to find out for sure.

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 02-11-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 02-11-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online