SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#187840 - 01/11/01 06:38 PM Technics PR Disks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello! I am a gig musician who plays a lot of jazz, latin, R&B and Fusion. I just purchased a Technics PR603 which i am very pleased to have finally acquired. I am a bit disapointed with the R&B and Funk/Fusion rhythms though and was hoping that i might find some downloadable files from the internet. Does anyone know a good source that has downloadable rhythms for a PR piano? I did a few searches but could only locate disks for the KN series.

Thanks for your help! =)

#187841 - 01/12/01 10:26 AM Re: Technics PR Disks
Shirley Warwick Offline

Loc: Dartmouth, Devon
I purchased the Technics PR 903 last September and like you, very satisfied with the Digital Ensemble. However, I have a passion for collecting extra styles and JazzApprentice if you go to "http://www.ca-software.de"
you will find many free styles for Technics
keyboards including KN6000 which will play
on your PR603 very well.

Incidentally, I have been reading this forum
for a long time, way back to the old forum days. I feel I know many of the regular contributors quite well by now. Thanks
fellas for many enjoyable hours and also
the information so freely given.

#187842 - 01/12/01 04:30 PM Re: Technics PR Disks
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Jazz Apprentice & Shirley Warwick,

Jazz, I think that the Technics styles are the best for acoustic jazz & big band and that the acoustic piano sample works very well with swing jazz styles. I agree that the internal R&B funk rhythms are a little disappointing (compared with other brands). I'm wondering if you might be able to play/import KN R&B styles (or other brand styles) into your PR603? Unfortunately the style conversion software I use (EMC brand StyleWorks Universal) does not specifically support Technics PR series keyboards. BTW, do you transport your PR603 around on your gigs? Is the PR603 an 88 note weighted digital piano unit? Is it very heavy? Weight?

Shirley, great to read your postings on the board. Thanks for refering us to the great Technics free "styles" site. I play the KN5000 and wanted to know if you (or anyone else here) knows if KN5000 styles can be directly loaded into or be imported (converted) to play on PR series Digital Ensemble keyboards. If so, which "specific" PR series Digital Ensemble Piano model(s)(PR902; PR903; PR603) will KN styles play on?

I had the opportunity to play a PR-903 recently and it sounded GREAT. Loved the fully weighted and 'very responsive' 88 keys. I'd love to have one but because I'm a gigging musician, I need the portable sized KN model instead. Congratulations on your new PR-903.

Scott
San Francisco Bay Area, CA

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 01-12-2001).]

#187843 - 01/13/01 05:39 AM Re: Technics PR Disks
Shirley Warwick Offline

Loc: Dartmouth, Devon
Hi Scott/Jazz,

I know a little of the info you require about the PR903/703/603. They are compatable with Kn6000 styles and the previous PR902/702/602 styles but I have found find that certain of the 902 range styles will not work. If Jazz has a friend with a KN6000 who can convert 2k/3k/5k styles or any of the styles available on the net from Solton,Wersie,Korg,Roland etc., it will be possible to convert them to 6k format which Jazz should be able to play on his 603. The other option is to use the EMC software programme on the PC to convert up to 5K but then the styles would still have to run through a 6k convert to play on the 603 until EMC update their software to 6k standard.

Scott, the answer to your question is 5k styles will not play on the 903 range but will play on the previous 902 range. The
digital ensembles all have 88 keys and the net weight ranges from 60-81kg. As you say
not a portable instrument.

I do miss not having a facility for a hard
drive as I had on the 3k. Also from the aspect of the 6k keyboard section of the piano, there is no custom save/load facility, no style convert etc. This is counter balanced by the hundreds of piano only styles, combo styles and ensemble styles plus the beautiful piano sounds and all the NX sounds. It's just a pity I cannot play it well enough to do it justice especially with the 240w. speakers. From a feminine point of view, the cherry wood cabinet makes it a superb piece of furniture.

Shirley

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online