SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#187622 - 12/30/06 07:05 AM Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Hi fellow SZ members,
I posted a thread on the Technics forum about the lack of choice in available keyboard modules and was surprised to only get one reply - does no one but me use modules any more?
I own a Technics KN7000 and a Solton MS40 module. Being so much in love with my KN7000, I will keep it for as long as it works. I also have great regards for my Solton module but need to update and modernise my setup with new sounds, new styles etc.
My age, 67, means that I have long since passed the days when I used to carry 2 keyboards and a module when gigging, so how do I achieve my aims now.

I am very impressed with the Tyros 2 and also fancy the Roland E80 and the Korg PA1X and PA800 although I haven't actually played these (only Yamaha dealers where I live).

My gripe is - Why dont Yamaha, Korg & Roland produce keyboard modules of their upper range keyboards? I would buy a Tyros 2, Korg PA800 or a Roland E80 module immediately if they put them on the market. I would quite happily buy all 3 of them and ring the changes alternately when I play.

The manufacturers should remember that, on the sad day when I have to replace my KN7000, I am going to buy one of their full keyboard products and their module could have been instrumental in forming my choice. This is how I came to Technics full keyboards in the first place after owning a AC1200 module produced by them.

We all know that each make excels in some ways and disapoints in others and the ideal way of having the best of everything is to midi up a module to the keyboard whatever make it is and double your choice of sounds and styles.

Do other Synthzoners agree or don't you guys use modules, and would any manufacturer care to comment (they probably check sites like this for market research).
PS. Having been so pleased with the Solton, I intend to buy the next replacement for the Ketron XD3.
Best wishes to all for the new year.
Tony Johnson, Sheffield

#187623 - 12/30/06 08:11 AM Re: Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
I would like to see Yamaha update their QY arranger module line with the Tyros 2 sound engine, thus ending the need for a 76 or 88 note version of the Tyros arranger, but like many others I seriously doubt that it will ever happen. Roland's last attempt at a module version of their DisCover arranger was a flop... that may have made them and others gun shy about another.

However, the Ketron MidJay is a brilliant little module with more functions than any other arranger module ever that I know of. I've been tempted to get one all year and may yet but it's close to NAMM-time now so the wait is on to see what comes out next.

#187624 - 12/30/06 08:18 AM Re: Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Years of talking to the manufactures of arranger products has provided me with the realization that not enough modules are sold worldwide. If more consumers would have purchased the modules when they were on the market, Roland, Yamaha and Korg would have continued. But sales statistics drive the developement of new products whether we agree or not.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#187625 - 12/30/06 08:43 AM Re: Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Yamaha still makes and sells the QY100 and QY700 arranger modules... both unchanged for many years now. Both are still featured on the Yamahasynths.com website. They haven't been discontinued yet as far as I can see so maybe Yamaha is still pushing existing stock or something. Just seems like a Tyros/QY module would make sense since we're talking about repackaging existing technology and it would solve the call for different keybeds other than the 61-note version they adore, but whatever.

#187626 - 12/30/06 09:46 AM Re: Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Anthony , i read your first posting and intended to reply , then i got side tracked and forgot, sorry about that !!
Lack of good modules that are easy and logical to use is a big problem !!

I have 2 midi accordions
an Elka 83 (which I've had 20 plus years and love !!) this is midied to the great Technics smac1200 and I do all my gigs with this instrument .
I also own a Kn7000 which is very good which is midied to my DA200 midi accordion , due to the design of the midi system on the DA200 it is difficult to control the KN7000

I've also got another expander (which i will not name on the internet !! ) but has a dreadful operating system that is not user friendly !!and third party styles are very very limited

I've just bought a T2 and due to the more advanced set up features on the Yamaha midies up perfectly with the DA200 concerto acoustic/midi accordion , I'm over the moon that it does just what I've always wanted to do with the DA200
Yamaha have a huge library of styles which is another important factor for me !!

i don't think we will see much new in the module market , due to small world wide sales , the concentration on development and R&D is with the mass market of keyboards !! . Any modules will be for a very small niche market !!
I was once told by someone from Technics that they did'nt see a future for modules dispite the wonderful smac1200 they produced .sales where low !!

As a midi accordionist I really do not want to gig with a keyboard !! an expander looks better at gigs !!
But the sounds from the Kn7000 and the T2 are wonderful !! so I've know changed my mind set !!on the use of a Keyboard !! on gigs !

Regards .to you all ....Happy New Year

Giovanni

#187627 - 12/30/06 10:24 AM Re: Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
What's wrong with the Midjay? I thought it was wonderful. I used it several months. Sometimes I wish i still had it. Great sounds, easy to operate, multiple functions, light weight.
You can put MP3s, Midi files and lyrics in it.
It has a hard disk recorder.
I don't see how a person could ask more from a module.
DonM

#187628 - 12/30/06 11:13 AM Re: Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Don , I tried the midijay for a 2 weeks , loved the actual size . I'm not knocking it , but it did not suit my purpose , i was adviced by the distributor that I would not find it suitable and they were correct .

I think it is a great midi file player but is not intended as a replacement for an arranger keyboard !!

I have no wish to start world war 3 with my comments as i genuinely wanted to buy it if it did what i required of it !!

I also know other Concerto midi accordion players that tried it and it did not suit .
i know that the midi accordion application is a bit special !! I expect it is fine for a hook up to a standard keyboard to get extra sounds .

Giovanni

#187629 - 12/30/06 12:12 PM Re: Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Tony,
I'm with you.
I too think it's a real pity that most of the manufacturers stopped producing realtime arranger modules.
The only 2 companies that I'm aware of that still do are General Music & Ketron.

Only reason I ended up opting for the ketron sd1+ keyboard instead of the XD3 or midjay was that they didn't have all the same functions that the sd keyboard had.

I went thru a series of modules Technics AC1200, the Roland RA series, Korg i5m,

the QY10,20,700 ( not that the QY series are
quite the same as the ones above)

The modules were so handy in that you could midi them to your controller of choice be it a 88 note digital piano, 61 note synth or any other type of midi controller.
I actually had mine midied to an acoustic midi piano ( Disklavier). Module certainly looked better than having a 61 note keyboard sitting next to the piano in the middle of the living room.

best wishes
rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Anthony Johnson:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#187630 - 12/30/06 02:15 PM Re: Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
What's wrong with the Midjay? I thought it was wonderful. I used it several months. Sometimes I wish i still had it. Great sounds, easy to operate, multiple functions, light weight.
You can put MP3s, Midi files and lyrics in it.
It has a hard disk recorder.
I don't see how a person could ask more from a module.
DonM

I'll agree Don.... although Id love to see a few improvements..I loved the feauture packed MJ also...its all you've stated above & more for the right multi faceted player application.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-30-2006).]

#187631 - 12/30/06 02:25 PM Re: Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Hello All,
I still have a Korg i5M, two 140M's with harddrive and a Gem Genesys XP. Ive also use the Korg PA1X PRO and my PA60 as expanders with the midi accordion and as stand-alones. I've had the Roland RA-800 in the past and have used my friend's MS-40. I regularly inquire to Korg and Yamaha about offering an updated module (e.g., based on the T-2 or the PA series boards). As George pointed out, Yamaha's response is always, 'there is no market for an arranger module'. Korg's response is usually, 'There's no information about a module at present and we'll submit the idea for consideration.' My thought is that, after enough inquiries, they may actually consider producing a module.

Giovanni,
Still waiting to hear how you work with the midi accordion T-2 combo on gigs.

Ciao,
Jerry

#187632 - 12/30/06 02:25 PM Re: Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
There are 3 high end arranger modules available

1. Bohm Silverbird
2. TMS Branda
3. Wersi EX 1

Hope this helps

Bill

#187633 - 12/31/06 02:00 AM Re: Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
Anthony Johnson Offline

Hi Don,
I condidered the Midjay but, like Giovanni, I decided that there wasn't enough on it to suit my purpose. I rarely use Midi files or MP3's so I'm wanting a full top of the range arranger keyboard in module form so that I can work on/edit styles, sounds etc. and have plenty of panel memory settings at hand in live playing situations. I used to carry 2 keyboards but, apart from the extra load, this made it hard to use a music stand and I can't manage a full gig without reading the dots.

I also found, like Rikki, that my living room looked like a club stage with 2 Kb's racked up - much neater with a module.

Already considered Bill's suggestion of Wersi EX1 but lack of dealerships for sales and especially servicing (if needed), rules this out. Never heard of TMS or Bohm but these would be ruled out for same reason as Wersi.

Heard that Gems Genesys is good but temperamental - Top marks to Ketron for at least making an effort - what about an SD5/SD1 module to replace the XD3.

The main reason modules have not sold well in the past is because the makers always make a bottom or mid-range module instead of a range topper. Give it a try and there may be more sales than anticipated for the manufacturers. As Esh points out, a module also solves the problem for those who want a particular keyboard but with more than 61 notes or a better keybed.

#187634 - 12/31/06 02:30 AM Re: Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Anthony
From your profile your nearest Wersi dealer is http://www.harmony-music.co.uk/wersi.htm in Boston about 75 miles away, with TMS and Bohm you have deal direct and they are based in Germany.
The EX 1 is the same as the Ikarus, but minus the keyboard.
Hope this helps

Bill

#187635 - 12/31/06 03:06 PM Re: Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Tony,
forgot to mention. For my digital piano /arranger module problem, I've now switched to using a
laptop/software arranger(OMB)& soundfonts. Just added a tiny KetronSD2 sound module to the setup. So put myself in for even more work.
Fair bit of work tweaking & setting up my psr user styles I use for OMB, but I consider it a long term project &
means I now don't have to midi my psr1500/ketron Sd1 to my digital piano. They're in a music room of their own.
best wishes
rikki

[B]I also found, like Rikki, that my living room looked like a club stage with 2 Kb's racked up - much neater with a module.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#187636 - 01/01/07 03:07 AM Re: Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Hey Anthony

Try the Ketron XD3 - I got one after owning an MS40 for over eight years so picked uo the navigation of it straight away which is what some people don't like about Ketrons.

It has many of the SD1 sounds and you can fit the vocal harmonizer board which sounds pretty good.

Regards

Keith (Brighton)

#187637 - 01/02/07 09:28 AM Re: Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
Anthony Johnson Offline

Hi there again,
Thanks for your interest guys.

To Bill (abacus):
Thanks for the info about nearest Wersi dealer - that came as a surprise to me. Will try to get down there when I can.

To Rikki (rikkisbears):
Very interesting angle - I don't own a laptop - never even used a computer of any kind with my keyboard. Does a software arranger fulfil all the functions of a module with Voices, styles, etc?

To Keith (KFingers):
I was going to go for the XD3 in the first place but don't know how much the XD3 improves on my MS40 or, how long since the XD3 was introduced and wondered if there might be an imminent new model on the way so thought I may wait a bit. I think Ketron/Solton are pretty good gear - agree about the navigation but, like you, I got used to it.

Best wishes, Tony (Sheffield)

#187638 - 01/02/07 12:19 PM Re: Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Tony,
OMB software uses psr .sty file format, & there's no shortage of psr style floating round the net.

Soundsource is more of a problem, in one way it's fantastic in that you can choose just about any soundsource you like, downside is, you have to tweak your styles to suit your soundsource.

It is a learning curve &you need spare time to do it.

I've tried omb with, xg sounds in my clavinova, sd1+, psr1500, for portability I've tried it with softsynths like Hypercanvas, currently I'm setting up
my new ( pocket size) sd2 soundmodule & soundfonts to work with it.
http://www.1manband.nl/omb.htm

best wishes
Rikki
[B]Hi there again,

To Rikki (rikkisbears):
Very interesting angle - I don't own a laptop - never even used a computer of any kind with my keyboard. Does a software arranger fulfil all the functions of a module with Voices, styles, etc?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#187639 - 01/02/07 05:08 PM Re: Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I agree with Don and Donny. The Midjay is a great little box. A couple of really cool features it has are:
1: The ability to change keys on mp3 or wav files without changing the tempo.
2: You are able to put onboard drumkits on smf's which greatly improve their sounds.

I use it in conjunction with a Tyros 1. I also have lots of files on it so I can use it on a grand piano job that needs a little kick. I wouldn't part with it.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#187640 - 01/02/07 06:18 PM Re: Are Keyboard Modules disappearing
Dnj Offline

Joe I agree.....I wonder if they will ever improve upon it and make a MIDJAY II,
w/Little bigger display, more factory sounds & ability to load custom ones etc etc ....Ketron was on the right track with this unit...I enjoyed performing with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online