SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#187617 - 02/25/04 06:48 AM Questions for Fran.......
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Fran, I wonder if you would be kind enough to answer a couple of questions on the VR760.

I recently tried this board while I was away from home but I hadn't much time and the shop I was in had only just received it's first one. So, untill I go back into town (London - 40 miles away) I need to ask for your help.

I would want to use it as a master keyboard for use with my Ketron XD3 and I already have the SRX Piano card which I love which would just slot straight in.

I was really quite impressed by it and thought it could be ideal for me with my setup but I need to know the following:

► Can each side of the split be assigned to different midi (out) channels so it can be used to drive the XD3.

► The Hammond sounds are pretty good but the Leslie simulation isn't as good as it's predecessor (out of the box that is). Can this be tweaked or are there enough outputs and routing that would allow the use of an external device (either electronic or real) on just the organ voices.

► I couldn't seem to get organ sounds on both sides of the splits. Can you only split with an organ (or any other) voice from one of the other two sections?

I love the feel of the keyboard which is the ight length for me and I also think the key weighting is a good compromise for both organ/arranger keyboard and piano players. It appears really simple to use and is very solidly built. Neither is it stuffed with zillions of synthy voices which I dont need. There is still an SRX expansion slot for any voices that either this or the XD3 hasn't got (not that I can think of any at present).

Your (or anyone else's) help with the above is appreciated.

Regards - KF

[This message has been edited by KFingers (edited 02-25-2004).]

#187618 - 02/25/04 07:32 AM Re: Questions for Fran.......
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
KF, Yes each part can be assigned a different midi channel, and can be split to control your XD3..
You can adjust all the parameters on the leslie simulator[I think it is very good].
In fact I was able to duplicate my favorite N.I. B4 patches..

You can only split one of each group , for example , left hand bass[synth] with right hand organ and/or piano..You can layer all three[groups]..Midi can allow you to add more types of sounds for your splits and layers..your SXR board will act as the internal synth group.
Hope this helped.
I agree with your key feel opinion..

#187619 - 02/25/04 09:56 AM Re: Questions for Fran.......
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I wanted to add one more comment..By midi[in to out,of the VR]and turn off the local control, you will have access to the 4 multi parts[synth, piano, organ and drums]..Set your transmit and recieve channels accordingly..allowing you to layer additional sounds within the split etc..

#187620 - 02/26/04 03:17 AM Re: Questions for Fran.......
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Fran - Thanks for the swift reply.

Not being able to split the organ section is not that big a deal for me as I could use the XD3 Organ sounds for lower manual voices (whoops - slipped into retrospeak there) which are pretty reasonable - or - I suppose I could get an SRX expansion card with organ voices as from what you say this would be seen by the board as a synth section.

This little beauty has definitely whetted my appetite and I'm now punting around for the best deal I can find. I've had a fair amount of Roland gear and consider it very reliable.

The only thing I dont like about their products are their manuals which go from beginner to rocket science in about two pages but in the short time I spent with this board I found it very intuitive and easy to drive. It is definitely a perfomers machine and being able to use drawbars again is like heaven to an old time Hammond man like me.

Thanks for the tip on patching midi out to in. That will give more options for me to try.......

Regards - Keith

#187621 - 02/26/04 03:46 AM Re: Questions for Fran.......
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Out to in again !
That's alittle medthod that Fran came up with way back when we had Roland D-70s! What a great tool that was, too. It enabled us to use the keyboard as a controller only (which it was GREAT at)and gave us MORE access to the power of the internal soud engine. Back then, I used a Yamaha preset drum machine (RX127, I think) and a Roland Rhodes 88 key piano (MK80) ..... sweet, sweet sound ...... but I left it set up 5 nights a week in the same spot for years at a time! Too bucky and heavy to carry .... even for back then !

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online