SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#187591 - 04/02/07 11:44 AM Now this is SUPER ARTICULATION!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Man oh man, imagine if all your SA voices had this kind of control DROOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!! Yamaha's moving in this direction with the Expanded SA voices on the Motif XS line.
http://www.garritan.com/Strad/VideoDemoStradivariViolin1sf.wmv

Here's that voice in action: http://www.garritan.com/Strad/DemoStradMassenetMsfm1.swf

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 04-02-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#187592 - 04/02/07 12:15 PM Re: Now this is SUPER ARTICULATION!
Dnj Offline

I'm not drooling at all.....SA voices dont impress me in a real time situation on stage the mega & sweet are fine for me....too much hype is being put into these sounds IMO....

#187593 - 04/02/07 12:24 PM Re: Now this is SUPER ARTICULATION!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Too much hype.. Naaaahhhhhh! The level of control within that sound is unreal! Aside from the user control the sound itself is rated as one of the best violin samples on the market

Sounds like this violin work so well because the nuances ect are triggered by the lower keys. It's not all done in multiple layers of velocity switching. Too many stacked layers within velocity switches gets hard to control.

I think keyboard players would benefit from this type of use for live play.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#187594 - 04/02/07 01:27 PM Re: Now this is SUPER ARTICULATION!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I play violin...that demo is incredible!

Thanks Squeak.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#187595 - 04/02/07 01:30 PM Re: Now this is SUPER ARTICULATION!
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi squeak, thanks for these links.

The demo showing the voice in action is great. Lovely realistic violin sound.
I've got a few of the garritan samples, so I'll have a look out for this on their site.

#187596 - 04/02/07 03:02 PM Re: Now this is SUPER ARTICULATION!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
SA voices deserve all the hype they get. The demos all show that played the right way, a level of expression and realism beyond previous technologies is possible.

But, short of a 'mind-to-MIDI' link, you HAVE to make some playing adjustments to use them at their best. The trick is to learn these performance 'tricks' to the point of them being automatic. Just like learning how to use the bender to its' most effective (not exactly a skill your piano teacher probably taught you), or learning instrument voicing techniques (again, not generally learned from a pianist), these skills work best when you don't even have to think about them.

I used to be a devotee of the DX7/BC1 combination. Because it wasn't sample based, the breath controller allowed a huge range of expression and tonguing types, and is still difficult to emulate any other way. But it WAS completely non-keyboard technique. For me, a little easier than for some because I'm a brass player, but I've heard non-wind players get excellent results.

The SA voices need the same kind of practice to get the same benefits, but boy! When you do.....!

#187597 - 04/02/07 03:09 PM Re: Now this is SUPER ARTICULATION!
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Thanks for the link sqeak
Absolutely amazing. Definately worth trying out.

fred

#187598 - 04/02/07 03:18 PM Re: Now this is SUPER ARTICULATION!
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Diki, here comes the advantage when you play the real instrument. Somehow it then goes automaticly on keys as well.

For certain instruments I prefer the joystick instead of the wheel though.(f.i. for saxophones the joystick works better) It would be great if there was a board having both.

Fred

#187599 - 04/02/07 03:27 PM Re: Now this is SUPER ARTICULATION!
Stein67 Offline

That sounds fantastic. Technology can sometimes get in the way of actual writing, but there is no doubt that some of todays keyboards and Plug ins are of a seriously high standard.

#187600 - 04/02/07 05:29 PM Re: Now this is SUPER ARTICULATION!
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
SA voices deserve all the hype they get. The demos all show that played the right way, a level of expression and realism beyond previous technologies is possible.

But, short of a 'mind-to-MIDI' link, you HAVE to make some playing adjustments to use them at their best. The trick is to learn these performance 'tricks' to the point of them being automatic. Just like learning how to use the bender to its' most effective (not exactly a skill your piano teacher probably taught you), or learning instrument voicing techniques (again, not generally learned from a pianist), these skills work best when you don't even have to think about them.

I used to be a devotee of the DX7/BC1 combination. Because it wasn't sample based, the breath controller allowed a huge range of expression and tonguing types, and is still difficult to emulate any other way. But it WAS completely non-keyboard technique. For me, a little easier than for some because I'm a brass player, but I've heard non-wind players get excellent results.

The SA voices need the same kind of practice to get the same benefits, but boy! When you do.....!

Nail just been whacked on the Head!!

go to my 4shared folder, i have demos of the SA Concert guitar and SA Concert strings at their best...
http://www.4shared.com/dir/2297075/69a6a221/sharing.html

[This message has been edited by Nick G (edited 04-02-2007).]

[This message has been edited by Nick G (edited 04-03-2007).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online