SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#187391 - 02/02/05 01:21 PM Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
MatsHawk Offline

Hi.

This monday me and my wife was at a Roland G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden. The demo was arranged by 5 different musicstores in the south of Sweden together with Roland and Ralph Schink.
I used to own a Tyros (that i loved) and after what i have read in this forum, i didn't think to much of the G70.
But.....I must say that it was the best demonstration i have ever seen.

The "Ralph Schink show" started with a clean Grand Piano sound and, WOW, what a sound. I now really understand why Robert Wells (http://www.wellsmusic.se) plays Roland!

Some sounds and effects where demonstrated, all excellent.

After that Ralph played up a 'scene' from a wedding. He started in the church with choir, churchorgan and then 2 guitars + a saxophone. With the many splits he really got the best out of the KB. He also played the type megavoice sounds for the guitars and this was just so good, all from hitting the guitarbody to slides and strumming sounds. No tricks, he just played it.

For every song he played, he explained the functions, effects and how the style och arrangement was working together with the righthand sound.

The "wedding" went on with some dinnermusic, bridewalz and slowdance. After that the tempo went up and some rock'n roll sounded. He described the drawbars and played several organsounds. Disco was no problem, the synthsounds where very cool.

The D-beam really is a cool thing; for use as sfx or changing the sound from a trombone.

Bigband, jazzband, latin or worldmusic. All sounded very good. He also demonstrated some sounds from the SRX-card World music, a Didgeroo from Australia and some other sounds. Impressive.

He demonstrated the Vocal Harmonizer and it sounded much better than the Tyros. The Auto-pitch function was very cool for those (like me) who does not sing very well!

Before he ended he 'just had to play' TicoTico and did he play!? The tempo was at 140bpm when he started and he increased it to incredible 212bpm!! It was almost not possible to see his fingers through the videosystem that was showing his playingtechnique or the display.

The demonstration ended with that Ralph played a nice song with only the Grand piano.

Both my wife and i where stunned by the sound from the KB and of course the perfomance from Ralph Schink.

After listening to G70 for an hour and half, played by such a great KB-player, my conclusion must be as follows......

The Roland G70 runs in eights around Tyros, not just by it's more professional look but also with better sound, better effects and better keys!

Best: *76 keys
*"real" splitpoints
*scatvoices
*the most used functions as real buttons
*easy controlled touch screen
*sounds
*D-beam
*vocal harmonizer
*playable "megavoices"

Worst: I don't have the money to buy it!

This is all in my (and also my wifes) personal opinion. Maybe there are other ways of seeing things, this is just one way.
I hope that this little "review" is appreciated.

Best regards

/Mats

#187392 - 02/02/05 01:50 PM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Thank's a lot for the report Mats.
I'm sorry to say I did not reach the demo here
in Bergen last week, and it looks like I missed
a nice performance done by Ralph Schink.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#187393 - 02/02/05 03:04 PM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
"The Roland G70 runs in eights around Tyros"

hmmmmm, I find this a little hard to believe at this point based on user feedback and I have not been able to hear one live.

The Tyros is a tough act to beat...especially being $1400.00 cheaper than the G70!!!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#187394 - 02/02/05 03:21 PM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
ailev Offline

Loc: Moscow, Russia
One of G70 review was mine. I did the same remarks: G70 is very similar to Yamaha's arranger.

My disappointment was only with style programming (e.g. I cannot find bebop style in jazz section, only couple of dozen swings), effects programming (mainly corrected in OS update) and style morphing. And lacks of pads (D-beam not replace pads).

Sounds are great, action great, many featers great. Even several styles are great. On par with Yamaha -- overall.

But I want more for $3600 that paid by me. Good or bad styles is depending of peoples taste. The same about sounds. It all about taste. On features G70 not less then Tyros. It is not about taste, it is shared between people.

Sorry for my Ruslish.

#187395 - 02/02/05 03:44 PM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by ailev:
..... It all about taste....

Yepp, and thank's heaven for that we have different taste,
or else it would have been a kind of boring, eh?

GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#187396 - 02/02/05 05:16 PM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
zuki Offline

You have to remember that real 'pros' make almost any keyboard sound incredible.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#187397 - 02/03/05 12:13 AM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Zuki You hit it there!

How many times have we all been mesmerised by a pro demo on an 'ordinary' instrument, only to be rather disappointed when we ourselves tried to copy the demo

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#187398 - 02/03/05 03:01 AM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
chdolar Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
The Tyros is a tough act to beat...especially being $1400.00 cheaper than the G70!!!

G-70 and Tyros are sold at the same street-price here in austria and germany: ~2800 EUR (~3600,-USD).
For that you get no 20Gig HD but 76 very good keys and a card slot which takes cards up to 4Gigs and can not suffer from crashes.

It's all your choice :-)

mfg
Chris

#187399 - 02/03/05 10:22 AM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
BlkNotes Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chdolar:
[B] G-70 and Tyros are sold at the same street-price here in austria and germany: ~2800 EUR (~3600,-USD).
For that you get no 20Gig HD but 76 very good keys and a card slot which takes cards up to 4Gigs and can not suffer from crashes.

I don't understand why Roland did not incorperate a Hard drive on their keyboard. Every other keyborad manufacturer is moving towards this format for storage. Firstly, it is a cheap means of storage, and one can use any companies drives and a multitude HD capacities. Propritary card slots etc.. are normally much more expensive then main stream data storage systems. The cynical side of me thinks it is a means for the manufacturers to generate more revenues.

Roland uses a 50Mb SSD for internal memory( solid state disc). 50Mgs is not alot of space. Especially when companies like Korg have 20Gb drives on boards & yamaha sell 20Gb upgrades for the tyros.

@ Chdolar---are the card slots you are refering to for actual blank memory upgrade to do with as one wishes, or are you talking about the SRX slots which are for Rolands sound banks ( with burned in sound for expanding the voice sections)?

I wonder if one could add an external HD to the G-70?? anyone?

Thank-you
Regards;
SCP

#187400 - 02/03/05 10:23 AM Re: Ralph Schink G70 demo in Malmö, Sweden
BlkNotes Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chdolar:
[B] G-70 and Tyros are sold at the same street-price here in austria and germany: ~2800 EUR (~3600,-USD).

I don't understand why Roland did not incorperate a Hard drive on their keyboard. Every other keyborad manufacturer is moving towards this format for storage. Firstly, it is a cheap means of storage, and one can use any companies drives and a multitude HD capacities. Propritary card slots etc.. are normally much more expensive then main stream data storage systems. The cynical side of me thinks it is a means for the manufacturers to generate more revenues.

Roland uses a 50Mb SSD for internal memory( solid state disc). 50Mgs is not alot of space. Especially when companies like Korg have 20Gb drives on boards & yamaha sell 20Gb upgrades for the tyros.

@ Chdolar---are the card slots you are refering to for actual blank memory upgrade to do with as one wishes, or are you talking about the SRX slots which are for Rolands sound banks ( with burned in sound for expanding the voice sections)?

I wonder if one could add an external HD to the G-70?? anyone?

Thank-you
Regards;
SCP

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online