SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#186928 - 03/01/06 07:45 AM preparation for new computer
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
My 15 GB HD on my eMachines is about full. I really need a bigger system. I’m just 256 RAM and 533 MHz.

A person told me to just put my data files (MIDIs, MP3s among other files) on a CD instead of purchasing those USB drives because the CD holds as much as the 512 USB drives. I also already have a bunch of CD's that were free after the rebate.

I've already burned 9 CDs and that is all of the MP3s on my system, and that also includes my complete files from BIAB.

I just put the MP3s in a folder and dragged the folder to Easy CD creator. I checked them by playing them in Windows Media from the burned CD, and the couple I tried had no problems.

Now I'll work on my MS Works and other miscellaneous files.
This is probably a stupid question, but is this way to go?

#186929 - 03/01/06 08:57 AM Re: preparation for new computer
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
If the computer still does what you want it to do, then just store the files to CD, which BTW you should have been doing from day one, as if your hard disc failed you would loose everything.
Make sure you store the CDs upright and in there Jewel Cases, as contrary to what the manufactures would have you believe, they are not indestructible and also only have a life span of about 30 years. Another point is only use a CD Marker Pen if you wish to write on them, as the label side is the most fragile part of the disc. (Even a scratch will cause you to loose data, and you can’t polish the label to fix it)
Hope this helps.

Bill

#186930 - 03/01/06 10:15 AM Re: preparation for new computer
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
The way I usually does it is:

Buy a bigger hard disk and install it as a master. The old drive as a slave. I don't have to copy anything to cd's, etc. Keep the old drive as a backup for the old files and only erase the unwanted files. Also, before copying the data file, make an image copy of your new drive (without the data) and store it in the slave drive(old drive) using ghost software.

The only risk is if you somehow dropped or somehow mess up the old drive in the process of installation.

Another way is if you have more than one computer is to copy it accross the network.

I usually do both to be safe.

I hate copying to cd's and this is how I get around doing it.

#186931 - 03/01/06 11:01 AM Re: preparation for new computer
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
As long as you have USB ports, I would purchase an external hard drive. They come in all sizes all you need do is plug the drive into a USB port.(hopefully you have Windows XP it will make things a bit easier). Then transfer your files to the external drive. I have an 80 gigabyte external and I back up all my files from both my laptop and and desktop computer to the external.

#186932 - 03/01/06 11:53 AM Re: preparation for new computer
brickboo Offline

I only have 98se edition. I tried a 512 jump drive and I couldn't get it to work. I might have trouble also trying an external hard drive to the USB also. My USB is the older one.

Don't you folks think I need to upgrade to a more modern system?
Thanks for all of the help,
Boo

#186933 - 03/01/06 11:59 AM Re: preparation for new computer
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
I only have 98se edition. I tried a 512 jump drive and I couldn't get it to work. I might have trouble also trying an external hard drive to the USB also. My USB is the older one.

Don't you folks think I need to upgrade to a more modern system?
Thanks for all of the help,
Boo

Getting the cofig right on 98 SE can be a nuisance. Upgrading to a new PC is the way to go.

#186934 - 03/01/06 12:44 PM Re: preparation for new computer
Dnj Offline

Boo upgrade to WIN XP pc's are very reasonable now.....

#186935 - 03/01/06 01:57 PM Re: preparation for new computer
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Jump drives normally come with an installation disc which is required to run them on Win 98, (Theoretically 98se solved the problem, but in practice anything before the Me Edition, requires the installation disc)
The same goes for an external hard disc, but I would recommend against this, as it will alter your drive letters, and as yours is an old USB connection it will be slow as well.
If you decide you want another computer, then make a list of what you want the computer to do, then get the best you can afford, if you go for a cheap one it will be out of date so fast, you might as well not have changed, whereas if you go for the best you can afford, you will have quite a few years use out of it.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#186936 - 03/01/06 02:30 PM Re: preparation for new computer
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Boo,

Do what I told you to do two years ago--buy a new Dell for $459. All the memory and resources you need are already installed. Just plug it in and go to work. If you want backup storage, buy a USB external hard drive--they're dirt cheap now, many under $100.

C'mon Boo, let loose of some of that brick layin' cash you have stashed under the mattress!

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#186937 - 03/01/06 04:28 PM Re: preparation for new computer
brickboo Offline

Gary,
Office Depot had a HP 1GB Ram, 200GB HD, an Athlon 64 processor, a 9in1 reader, a 17" CRT, a printer and the lightscribe CD label technology for $569 week before last. This week they have an identical Compaq for $519.

I think for a Dell that would run in excess of $850, maybe $1000 and I would sitll have to buy an Epson CD label printer.

Am I missing something here? Are Dells really that superior to HP and Compaq? Help me out here.
Decisions, decisions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online