SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#186893 - 02/17/05 12:04 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
The noise problem is specific to only the keyboard in my house. No other electical devices in my home have this problem. I can actually pick the board up while on and plugged in, and move it to another location and hear the static stop in some spots and increase in others. If my test this evening at my wife's grandparents yield good results I'm going to Radio Shack and buying a AC line filter, and hopefully that will help with the noise. I even noticed when I waived my hand over the board and even leaned over it the static got worse. It's like that board is calling home to the mother ship or something

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#186894 - 02/17/05 01:03 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Squeak, don't bother with a line filter, if it was coming from the line, moving it around wouldn't change it. If your test prooves that the problem is localized, it becomes very difficult to troubleshoot because the tech can't come to your house to fix it. If this turns out to be the case, call me and I'll help you troubleshoot it over the phone. I'm at 714.522.9000

Steve

#186895 - 02/17/05 01:49 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Wow! Now THAT is service!
Eddie

#186896 - 02/17/05 03:37 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

Damm that's service... Steve I'll be giving you a call.

However I'm happy to report that it's not my PSR-2000 causing the problem. I took it to my wife's grandparents house, and voila no static noise from the tweeters. All I noticed was just a little "white noise" from the speakers. Some never even notice this noise. I think it's a combination of the wiring in this place and other factors such as (local TV station ant. in the area), and other things in my home.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#186897 - 02/17/05 06:17 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

Steve,
I tried your suggestion but without success. I cannot locate the signal that's causing the problem. It's very frustrating too. I have this great keyboard and I can't get the enjoyment out of it I should be due to this problem. What costs am I looking at if I ship the board to you?

Thanks,
Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 02-17-2005).]

#186898 - 02/18/05 01:03 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Squeak -

Maybe you're the problem . You say that when you leaned over it, it got louder. Maybe you should leave the keyboard in one place and try positioning yourself in various places around the house.

Seriously though, I used to hear local radio stations out of my psr 8000.

Chony

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Steve,
I tried your suggestion but without success. I cannot locate the signal that's causing the problem. It's very frustrating too. I have this great keyboard and I can't get the enjoyment out of it I should be due to this problem. What costs am I looking at if I ship the board to you?

Thanks,
Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 02-17-2005).]

#186899 - 02/18/05 03:59 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

Well I spoke with Gary, and ruled out a bad amp. The fact that I'm hearing it in the headphone jack and output jacks rules out bad amp. Since the amp is bypassed when plugging in headphone as well as the output jacks. I went and purchased an inexpensive adapter to bypass grounding (hoping it was the ground wiring in my condo, and that didn't fix it either). I'm picking up something from somewhere that's for sure. When talking to Gary over the phone I mentioned that placing my hand on the side of the left speaker caused the noise to go away, so I must have blocked whatever the mystery signal or wave is in my home. I guess I'm going to have to contact Steve next week and see about having extra shielding installed inside the keyboard. Unless someone else has an idea that was not mentioned.

Squeak

#186900 - 02/18/05 06:45 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
I have been lurking on this one and trying to come up with a possible cause. When you said that your hand shielded the instrument, it implied to me that perhaps the internal shield may have become disconnected.

Ten years ago (I do not know the current practice), it was best practice to spray the interior of these moulded housings to provide shielding from external (and often internal!) sources. Your observation makes me concerned that perhaps the connection from this shielding to ground has been disturbed.

Just an idea...

Regards,

Michael

#186901 - 02/18/05 06:52 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Squeak: My 2000 speakers will not function correctly if I am using a microphone. To eliminate the problem, I use headphones. (If the Microphone is turned off, the speakers function perfectly.) In my case, most of the time I am recording songs from the 2000 (as I am simultaneously singing)into a tape deck so I connect the headphones to the deck and put a dummy plug in the headphone port on the front of the 2000. Not ideal but it lets me get my work done. Lately, I purchased a set of headphones from Radio Shack that are wireless to eliminate the dangling cord problem. Hope this helps.

Rice

#186902 - 02/18/05 07:01 PM Re: Steve Deming????? Need your Help!
squeak_D Offline

Mike,
Well I'm at a loss as to what I should do. The board could have something faulty or it could be more sensitive than every electical appliance I have in my home. This is what I find odd. If this mystery signal is so strong that my PSR-2000 picks it up all over the house, then why is it that NO other electical device in my home has this problem. It's a specific problem to this keyboard.

Your thought makes sense too about the shield to ground connection. If it's not the board and just some freakish wave signal being picked up I'm just going to have to re-sell the board to someone who wouldn't have this problem in their home. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love this PSR-2000, but can not keep a board and enjoy playing it with this problem. Again this problem could even affect me re-selling it. The fact is the board either has something internally that's faulty or some outside source is causing the problem. Either way I can't imagine someone wanting to buying this keyboard from me on those terms. I'm most likely going to have to shell out a good deal of money to ship it off to Yamaha to have it looked at. Even with the test I ran in my wife's grandfathers house the "hiss" was still present. Even if I turn the volume all the way down the hiss is still there. So again I'm at a loss as to what I should do.

Squeak

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online